How do you experience a “flow state”?

Home Forums Ask a Demographic How do you experience a “flow state”?

• Delrake
    Participant
    • Type: SeFi
    • Development: l--l
    • Attitude: Unseelie

As the title says, I’m curious to know how each lead energetic may potentially experience a flow state differently from one another. i.e. what does a Je lead look like in a flow state compared to the others? I can only speculate so I’d like to hear from you guys personally.

flow state

• This topic was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Delrake.
    • This topic was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by Delrake. Reason: Energetics are unnecessary
    Alexander the Less
    Participant
    • Type: NeFi
    • Development: llll

As someone who lives on the left-hand side of this chart, I’m not so sure.

Jokes aside, it is rare for me to ever achieve a flow state (if I honestly ever have); however, in those few moments that I would consider a flow state, it’s the exciting sensation that everything is coming together. It is as if I can see the most clear, vibrant path to cut my way through a problem that was a forest of disorientation.

Personally, my work is exceedingly cerebral (teaching and sometimes writing), so I cannot say anything about the physicality of it. All I can define it as is a moment of profound and rewarding clarity in which I finally stumble upon the perfect path to take to overcome an obstacle that previously felt amorphous and awkward.

bella
    Participant
    • Type: TiNe
    • Attitude:

I think my most typical flow state is highly cerebral..

When I’m in a flow state I will most typically be in a rested position, sitting with my back relaxed and my legs up or scootched close to my body. My mind is clear, calm, but active. The thoughts are creative, they easily formulate new insights and ideas. If I wish to structure my thoughts, its a smooth process. Articulation streams out quite effortlessly, although I’d be more inclined to write then to speak in this state. There is less subconscious chatter, and more experience of the world ‘as it is’. I feel calm, serene, safe, in harmony and accepting of the universe. There is a certain neutrality to this state, and a sense of emotional and mental alignment, and of an inner trust that combines tranquility with alertness.
    I think the most common way for me to go into a flow state is via thinking about a concept in a very cerebral fashion. I tend to find this very relaxing and natural for my state of being. In a way it feels like what I was meant to be doing.. all the time..

Auburn
    Keymaster
    • Type: TiNe
    • Attitude: Adaptive

Oh, I don’t know what counts as a flow state, but I do have certain experiences that are …strange.

They can only happen to me when my health bars are high– if I’m well rested, well fed, emotionally happy and financially secure. I have to be fully alone. And then they happen in tandem with inspirational clarity.

An idea I have will both be begging to ‘come out’ of me, while my body is simultaneously able to give it form. In these moments, I become a channel for that *thing* to arise. It’s art and truth at the same time.

Usually I’m on the computer, and as I’m writing my fingers just type with minimal backspacing (which is rare for me), because the link between consciousness and body is unobstructed. I typically play music when I’m like this. And my body behaves differently. It behaves very much like Aurora’s in GIFs like this:

2:05

My hands make these motions in between me typing sentences. For example, I’ll type out a paragraph, and then “dance” with my hands for a minute, swinging my body side to side, and then type out another sentence when it feels “ready” to come out next. I have to be alone because otherwise I feel very self-conscious about it.

Then, when I am done, I feel a euphoric release and contentment. It feels like I birthed something beautiful into the world. Something ‘true’ and worthwhile.

These moments are becoming less rare for me as I age; hopefully I’m becoming a clearer channel.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Auburn.
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Auburn.
    Hrafn
    Participant
    • Type: SiFe
    • Development: l-ll

The most common way I can achieve a flow-state—or come very close anyway—is when I’m telemark skiing. I think this is because it’s one of only a few activities I can think of that I have a very high level of skill at. The experience of it the feeling of adapting to & responding to the terrain around me in a fluid, fast-paced, 1:1 way. Im more likely to get into this zone if the terrain is challenging and requires a certain amount of precision. There’s a particular sensation that goes with this state—or comes right afterward—it’s a feeling i associate with relaxed engagement/contentment that radiates deep into my lumbar & lower torso. There’s a steepish gladed piste not far from my house that I try to ski & hike back up several times a week during the winter. I’ve found it really helps to keep me on-keel during the dark winter months. The downshot is that if I’m out of the zone on a particular day—flubbing, uncoordinated—it can be very frustrating.

I’m pretty intellectual, but I can’t think of getting flow-like states very much from intellectual activity—it’s too meticulous, and not always stimulating in a holistic way. Maybe the closest is when I’ve felt really inspired to write something like a poem or a story, and I don’t have to think too much about what I’m doing—-there’s a positive pressure of ideas wanting to bubble outward as words.  Sometimes when I’m smoking weed I can have some very intense & mind-blowing trails of thought, because my way of thinking is off kilter from normal (ha ha, yes I know this sounds like delusions of stoned grandeur) but it’s generally not what I’d think of as a flow-state, since I usually don’t do anything to direct or express these outwardly. I can get in a deeply-engaged zone from drawing or painting, and I think if I practiced it more, developed more skill at it I could get pretty flowing with it.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Hrafn.
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Hrafn.
    Starshade
    Participant
    • Development: ll-l
    • Attitude: Seelie

For typical cerebral flow states, the experience is loss of time, everything just speed up, I keep working, no interruption, no time, nothing exist outside, me, and my task. It’s a perfect way to exist, just, be and read, write or create what I want.

Physical tasks which manage to get me into an flow, typically that would be either running or Capoeira (a dance), works similar, nothing happens outside of what I am doing, me, and what I am doing.

I don’t experience intuitive creative ideas as a “flow”, typically, the creative idea I get is when I am calm and rested, head is clear, maybe out walking, etc. I might GET ideas in flow though, and just save it for later. Typically some creative idea I need time to flesh out, or some science thing needing analysis. It’s some overlap, but I experience intuition as wery, different from “flow” which is more sensory in how it works.

Shelley Lorraine
    Participant
    • Development: ll--
    • Attitude: Seelie

I don’t usually feel tranquil when I’m in what I consider to be my flow state. I’m comfortable, but also aware that all my gears are running and that I’m probably going to feel hungover when it ends. After reading some other replies, I wonder if what I have been calling flow is not flow at all but one of the traits that may place me on the bipolar spectrum – so I have recently learned.

It starts with either a random curiosity or a faint hint of inspiration – potential not fully realized (intense aha! moments happen while in the flow). Thousands of ideas at once, too much to handle, but it’s exhilarating and I can’t stop until I’ve reached some kind of closure. I will thirst and starve and have a pounding headache and need to be in bed 6 hours ago, but the ideas keep coming and I’m on fire. I feel like a ran a marathon when it’s all over. No regrets 🤷🏻‍♀️

Elisa Day
    Participant
    • Type: TiSe
    • Development: ll--

The only time I really feel I’m in a flow state is when I’m painting.

I paint on canvas while standing. I move about in a sort of dance that can go on for hours, but it feels like minutes. Music is optional, but I must be alone.

The painting will be all that does, has, and will ever exist for that moment. It is as if I’m a portal channeling the painting’s spirit as it births itself. I don’t feel as if I’m controlling anything, though there’s a great deal of focus involved.

There’s the continuous focus on the outcome of the vision along with permission for occasional spontaneity, which I rarely allow myself.

When the flow session is over, I’ll stand back and marvel at the canvas wondering how the hell it all happened and what possessed me. “Did I really do this? How could I have done this?”

Delrake
    Participant
    • Type: SeFi

Fascinating responses everyone…

For me, sometimes I will get a burst of insight about something and it’s like everything comes together at once and a new section of reality becomes ‘unlocked’ for me to explore. I then enter a sort of tunnel vision where I just glide through information to uncover more. Words on a page are stepping stones to the truth. Time and effort don’t exist in this state, it is purely enjoyable.

I also have these sort of trance-like states when I’m driving my car and listening to music a certain song will sync with my mind and body and I’ll start to move along to the beat and rhythm while having thoughts about patterns of life and reality and appreciating the beauty of nature around me. More often than not I’ll end up with a smile on my face.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Delrake.
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by Delrake. Reason: added link
    Ninth
    Participant
    • Type: TiSe
    • Attitude: Directive

I used to experience a flow state when I was a painter.
    In fact, I would paint not because I had any artistic inclination but rather because it was an immersive experience during which I could “reorganize” everything in my head without conscious effort. Painting required attention to details; you also have to “feel” the brush and the brushstrokes (not only look at the outcome), know your materials. While this may sound “occupying”, it came in fact “automatic”, and (in lack of better terms) my mind was almost empty while my body was very present.
    I quit painting because I can’t experience that anymore, and I’m not interested in the activity itself.

Then there are these rare moments during which I feel like everything is perfectly aligned and balanced, especially in terms of extraversion/introversion. I perform better in general, even socializing is easier (I have social communication deficits); the “data stream” feels more readable and manageable. It usually happens after I’ve had a very abstract dream that involves successful engineering. I wake up feeling different, my thoughts are “tidy”.
    What all of these occurrences share is:
    – I feel very ‘present’ in the moment and aware of my surroundings and my body’s feedback
    – perception is clearer, sharper (esp. sight, smell, meaning)
    – better motor coordination
    – higher pragmatism
    – emotional awareness -> em. stability (i rarely experience emotions, but it can be hard to label / recognize them and react to them)
    (most noticeable differences:)
    – my voice becomes highly differentiated (expression is more animated) and I feel in control of it (like I know exactly what I’m doing)
    – verbal language becomes more intuitive (usually I’m slow at processing what others say because i tend to take things literally)
    – I’m more open to others! (They say I’m very difficult to know because I normally feel no need to share/express)
    Sometimes, in addition, I will become creative. I think it’s because during these states “meaning” drops the backseat and comes as a closer fellow. I may appreciate art and want to review music/movies, even though it’s still not feely.

Usually, during the previous days I’m solving 3D puzzles (like Hanayama’s) and riddles or reading saisfyingly structured essays . I suspect this is my key.

I can relate to this:

If I wish to structure my thoughts, its a smooth process. Articulation streams out quite effortlessly […]. There is less subconscious chatter, and more experience of the world ‘as it is’. I feel calm, serene, safe, in harmony and accepting of the universe. There is a certain neutrality to this state, and a sense of emotional and mental alignment, and of an inner trust that combines tranquility with alertness.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© Copyright 2012-2020 J.E. Sandoval
SEE HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

DISCLAIMER

The content on this site is not
intended for medical advice, diagnosis,
or treatment. Always seek the advice
of your physician or other qualified
health provider with questions you
may have regarding a medical condition.
For more information visit this link.

SHARE: FACEBOOK, SUPPORT: PATREON