How do you experience nostalgia?

Home Page Forums The General Hall How do you experience nostalgia?

• Auburn
    Keymaster
    • Type: TiNe
    • Development: l--l
    • Attitude: Adaptive

Hi! I wanted to start a dedicated thread to this topic, after the V vs M discussion prompted some curious replies. I’m not sure where the discussion could go, but maybe I’ll start with some initial questions?

Is there a nostalgic experience you feel like sharing?

(could be anything you feel comfortable with)

What is your personal experience of nostalgia most often like?

Is it reminiscing or replaying favorite memories in your mind,
    or actively recreating events that you enjoyed in the past (such as re-booting/playing your old N64),
    or is it more about trying to physically preserve things untouched (such as not replacing an old bike)
    or something else maybe..?

Do you collect keepsakes?

(i.e. “an object that has sentimental value, like a locket that belonged to your grandmother”).

How often do you feel nostalgia?

• This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Auburn.
    Hrafn
    Participant
    • Type: SiFe
    • Development: l-ll

OK, yes, but it’s sort of lengthy…

Spoiler:

During my early 20’s, I spent most of a year in northern Siberia, several months of which I spent teaching English in an ethnic Sakha settlement in a remote part of the arctic. Although I have considerable time in remote communities since then, I’ve never again had the same sense of existing at the periphery of the World System. Because I was in that town for only three or four months, because I’ve never been back, and because I was mostly insulated from the hardship that could accompany with day-to-day life there, my memories of it feel a bit like a cozy cocoon of anachronism. I occasionally have dreams where this place (or a stand-in for it) appears, in some form or other, as a visit to a long-lost, impossibly remote land.

The anachronism I felt while living there gave my experience tinges of nostalgia even at that time. No cellphones, no airport. A very rough dirt road led to the regional hub, two hours away. Horses & cattle roamed the streets, grazing on the bare slopes across the frozen river. I remember looking out the window and seeing a man being pulled by a horse in a sled made of logs that were lashed together, evidently a practical means of transport. When my roommates & I helped a local elder take apart & move a shed by his house, we saved all the nails we pulled, pounding them straight so they could be reused. While the settlement was moderately well-known and saw the occasional foreign visitor, it was insular enough that my presence there as an outsider, especially one who was staying there for so long, was quite notable among locals. (This didn’t generally bother me, though—I had grown up feeling like an outsider in my own culture). In the local museum, they had displays about most of the foreigners who’d visited there in the recent past.

I saw at least one significant change during the months I was there, when the school got a much faster internet connection, one that could be used on all ~10 computers in the computer lab there. Before that, only the the computer-lab teacher’s computer had internet, with an excruciatingly slow connection. I would check my e-mail once a week, eagerly awaiting correspondence from a girl I was deeply in love with…

And this brings up the subtle self-deception inherent in this, and other, nostalgic memories that I have. Even though I reminded myself, while living there, how interesting & unusual this experience was, I often felt restless. The pace of life was so slow, and my wanderlust was intense back then. As soon as I got to one place, I couldn’t wait to move on to the next adventure. I was in the midst of several years’ existential gloom & depression. And most significantly, I was consumed by deep feelings of unrequited love for someone who was not there…Instead of savoring every moment of my time in that Siberian town, I spent much of it wallowing in nostalgia for earlier months, when she & I had been together in one place, when I had distractedly frittered away my chance to make something of it. Because I couldn’t bear the pain of admitting it was too late, I concocted fantastic schemes & strategies for how I would someday bring us together, how I would show her that I loved her.

Even the nostalgia I still feel for this long-lost part my life is not wholly uncomplicated. While I do feel a lot of sentimentality about my experiences at that time, I also cannot help but feel ashamed of some of my behavior. I was immature and impetuous, and I crossed a lot of the social boundaries of my host culture & roommates. Several times I made an ass of myself while we were drinking together. When my roommates were critical or told me to do things a certain way, I would sometimes respond with defensiveness & contrarianism. I didn’t learn as much about the culture as I could have. Nothing I did was terrible, but sometimes I feel a bit like a spoiled child who lost a lot of opportunity.

This is generally true of so many past memories: while I do have a large capacity for nostalgic feelings about my past perceptions, I also have a large capacity for feeling shame & regret based on my present-day interpretations of them.

Most often, my personal experience of nostalgia involves reminiscing and replaying specific memories. However, the most visceral experiences of nostalgia are triggered by specific sensory experiences—especially smells—whose forgotten & unexpected qualities evoke past emotional states.

I experience nostalgia as an emotional experience more than anything else. It stems from the fact that the emotions that I feel today are different from the specific emotions that I felt 5, 10, 15 years ago. Words like anger, sadness, joy, oversimplify the actual experience of emotions, which all have specific, subjective patterns & textures to them. These emotional experiences are colored by the general moods—longer-term emotional patterns—that I experience during different episodes of my life. In turn, these moods tell the story of how I’ve reacted to all the people, places, things & ideas in my environment, leading up to that time. Moods change & evolve over time, creating subtle shifts in the way I experience emotion. It’s been nearly 20 years since I first moved to the town where I now live. But the emotions & sensibilities I have toward the town now are different than they were back then—the town & I have both traveled forward in time together around all these years, each of us gradually evolving along the way.

To a certain extent, I can relive past emotional states simply by replaying memories in my mind—and I do this a fair amount. But each time I remember these memories, they lose some of their vivacity; they gradually become more abstracted & less poignant.

However, a powerful sensory experience can cut through this fog of abstraction, making a distant memory suddenly feel intimate & palpable. For instance, a number of years ago, when I was living a rustic lifestyle, I put together a barrel-stove (a barrel-stove is a woodstove made from an empty oil drum). When I built a fire in it, I remember how the chalky, toxic smell of the burning paint brought me vividly back to when I was seven, when my parents had lit a barrel-stove they had just set up at our camp.

Memories themselves are the most important keepsakes, and I am pretty deliberate about collecting & curating them. For nearly any significant memory, I can usually remember the month & year when it occurred, even stretching far back into my childhood.

As for actual, tangible stuff, I accumulate it much more than I collect it—I’m not that deliberate about it, and I usually don’t curate. I have dusty piles of papers, art projects, etc., from when I was in school & university, which I occasionally look through, especially when I’m on some journey of self-discovery or other. Here, the purpose is as much about trying to understand who I really was back then (and by extension, who I am now) as to reminisce on those old memories. I have boxes of disheveled photographs dating back to when I was 10, and a smattering of knickknacks here & there. There are certain selected things I like to display—items that are emblematic of who I am or where I came from.

Yet as I explained above, acute nostalgia paradoxically comes from the novelty of long-forgotten sensory experience. I only get this from things that have raw, fresh or unexpected sensory qualities. An object that is openly on display in my house will be constantly traveling forward in time in constant interaction with me. Even if it’s rooted the deep past, I’ll recognize it as an evolving part of my present. In order for something to make a strongly nostalgic impression—rather than simply be part of the present-day background ambience—it has to penetrate the fog with some “new” or long-forgotten sensory quality that brings a past memory up-close & personal. Once I’ve thoroughly absorbed this sensory quality, this acute nostalgia gradually wears off.

The intensity with which I experience nostalgia varies a lot from day-to-day and week-to-week, but I don’t see it as something that flips on & off. It’s more like present as a constant, underlying bodily memory of what’s been lost in my unceasing forward fall into the future. In this way it’s similar to how I experience a lot of other emotional states that are connected with the past (e.g. regret, resentment).

However, at times in my life when I’ve felt hopeful & optimistic about the future, nostalgia can fade far into the background. I’ve even had strong bouts of “counter-nostalgia,” especially during my youth, where I tried to outrun the sense of stagnation that nostalgia visited. Nostalgia is most powerful during times when my prevailing mood is one of gloomy, dread, like the happiest days of my life have passed, or when I can sense foreshadowing tragedy.

One more thing:

I also experience quite a bit of what I might call vicarious nostalgia…e.g. where I feel nostalgic for experiences that I myself didn’t have directly. For instance, imagining myself as having been born in the past.

Climate change is an intense source of nostalgia, both directly and vicariously. It means so many of the landscapes, environments, flora, fauna & nooks of humanity I love are vanishing or changing forever. When we occasionally get periods of unseasonably cold weather in my region (cold, at least, by recent standards), as we have had during the past year, it always feels like a blast from the past. I feel a strange mix of longing, relief & melancholy, as though I’m catching the last rays of the dying sun. I often remind myself that I may never, again, see this particular weather.

I also get intense, vicarious nostalgia from seeing old photos of landscapes I know well, because I can see how different some of them were back then, before climate change took its toll. How clear alpine meadows have filled in with brush & elfenwood. Even though I wasn’t alive when the photos were taken, it makes me feel an intense longing to participate in these landscapes as they back then, before they were defaced by the gales of global change.

Ironically, I’m also usually aware that had I been alive back then, I wouldn’t have appreciated the “unchanged” places for what they were. It would simply have been a baseline part of day-to-day life, and I would have had no awareness that I was standing on the threshold of a long process of profound, irrevocable, destructive change. But then, maybe it all wasn’t so inevitable as it now seems?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Hrafn.
    Chiron
    Participant
    • Development: ll-l

I return often to my hometown to just walk around and soak in the feeling of being ‘home’. I know part of this stems from the trauma I experienced as a child, returning to my place of origin without my abusive parent is a kind of re-setting and soothing experience. But it’s also about re-living the walks I used to take with my grandma on some of those same streets when I was a toddler. Those are very old cherished memories for me.

I also often reminisce with my partner about memories we share and this brings us closer. Many of our inside jokes come from specific instances of when one of us did something funny or dumb and we basically memeify it XD

Nostalgia takes a few different forms for me. Most prominently I feel a sense of longing when reminded of something special that happened in the past. I also tend to fixate on and idealize the past, and feel like I’ve lost a more ‘perfect’ state than I have presently. I recognize this is mostly irrational though, as the past had just as many (if not more) flaws as the present does. Kind of related to this, I feel like the ways of our ancient ancestors were superior and more aligned compared to the modern way of doing things. We’ve lost touch with the Earth and the human Soul..

If I’ve had an important experience in a certain place, sometimes I’ll hesitate to return there afterward in order to kind of preserve the meaning of the original experience. Alternatively, if I’ve imprinted on a certain place or road to travel I’ll be drawn back because of a strong sense of nostalgia.

I have certain things I’ve put up in my room wherever I’ve moved to that I’m nostalgically attached to. One is a lunar-themed tapestry that I always put behind my altar. I also have antique playing cards that my grandma and I always used to play black jack and crazy 8s with.

In general I’m not into antiques, but there are certain ones I admire like Chinese and Japanese style furniture. I also have a couple antiques that I found and refurbished to put in my room, things like that have a lot of soul and a back-story. I feel like this makes them feel more ‘alive’ and relevant to me. I have this long wood framed wall mirror which came originally from a morgue. It was given to my friend by the mortician when the cemetery closed, and she gave it to me. I imagine how many dead people must have been reflected in that mirror as their lifeless bodies were meticulously prepared for their final public display.. When I look at this mirror I’m reminded of the kind of sad irony I feel about society’s absurd bastardizing of nature, the masks we lay over dark truths such as death. Also I feel a connection to the world of the dead, to the collective of our ancestors and all the accumulated wisdom of lives past. I have this mirror next my altar and feel its energy assists my spellwork ^_^

I have a box and a drawer *full* of keepsakes 😛 It’s a bunch of things, from old letters and other writings from loved ones, to stones and bark from memorable walks, to jewelry and other items tied to people and events of my past. Each thing is kind of a literal embodiment of the cherished memory it’s associated with. If I lose something like that, it’s very sad as it feels like I’ve lost part of my history :/

Probably every day! lol

It’s triggered for me by a lot of things. Tons of cherished memories happened for me in the house where I live, so things like sitting in the same place where my partner and I first had tea here together, or snuggling my cat in the same place we snuggled when she was a tiny kitten, seeing the golden light on the dark trees reminds me of being around this area when I was a child, etc. make me feel nostalgic <3

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Chiron.
    Ninth
    Participant
    • Type: TiSe
    • Attitude: Directive

Is there a nostalgic experience you feel like sharing? / What is your personal experience of nostalgia most often like? / How often do you feel nostalgia?

I don’t understand nostalgia. Every now and then I have to ask a psychologist to explain it to me again, because I tend to forget about that which I don’t use (be it abstract or material; doesn’t matter). It also happens with compliments: I have the tendency to forget what’s the difference between complimenting someone and sharing an observation with them, because it’s really hard for me to understand why the difference does even exist (although I can clearly see the effects in the outer world; but that comes from a different framing and it’s about “action”). Sometimes I ask regular people to explain it to me from their pov, to tell me about how they experience it subjectively… doesn’t help much. I also don’t miss people or places like others do (I really thought I did, but when I explained what I meant by those words they said it’s not like that? IDK), perhaps that’s connected. I also don’t empathize much with memories, especially if they’re far in the past. I’m too simplistic, perhaps. So, I’m glad this thread was opened.

Yes, kinda. I don’t know why. I tend to either collect too many of something or none at all. I never look at them (except for my books and puzzles). I don’t understand memory photos. I’m sorry for all the people who care about them and would like me to share that feeling with them, but I don’t, and I actually hate taking memory pics because they create a “halt” in the experience and then there comes this weird collective atmosphere, idk. I prefer experiencing something fully in the present to save a richer memory of it for later, yk?

Oftentimes, several years later, I notice a collection of something and think “well, it’s time to get rid of it, isn’t it?”.
    I suspect: that part of me which thinks “this concept could be useful in the future” goes the same way with regards to the material world.
    My address book is rather full, but every some years I delete contacts that I feel I’ll never use again. And then it’s really satisfying when you go “massive deletion!!!”.

—-

I think I once experienced something very close to nostalgia. It was VERY REALLY HUGELY WEIRD. I had just read a post of an acquaintance, she shared memories and sensory details nostalgically (somehow I can recognize nostalgia from others even if I don’t fully understand what it is about,), and later a super-vivid picture + a smell flashed in my mind: my mother’s super-old dark green sweater from when I was 4 (I can still recall its feel to the touch, the fabrics in details) and her smell while my head was on her belly. And I think I… what can I say? I “remembered being a child”. Like, I was incarnating my past self from the past memory?? IT WAS SO WEIRD I CLOSED THAT DOOR AND FUQNOPED IT AT THE SPEED OF LIGHT.

bella
    Participant
    • Attitude:

*fishes for nostalgic experience*
    *just barely catches some.. that can just barely be described as nostalgic*

When I was in second grade, my parents had just built a house, and we moved in before it was finished. At the time, there was only a floor in one bedroom, and the rest of the house was a light brown sand, like a beach.  I was an only child in those days, and so it was just me and my parents, living in that room, in a house otherwise full of sand. Aside from some clothes and a few gadgets, the only things in that room were a bed, a small television, and an electric heater. Since we had no kitchen, we would use an electric heater to toast bread, and then we’d spread it with butter, and eat it while watching the show Oliver Twist. I think I was crushing on Oliver. I can just barely recall the sensation of it all.. there was warmth and love, and the safety of a child still in the embrace of her mother’s womb, somewhat uroboric, prior to the state of full independence. I didn’t have a care in the world, and could just get lost in the experience and in my imagination.

Aside from that, there is one other interesting experience I had about two years ago that perhaps relates to nostalgia. I was living in Jerusalem at the time, but I was visiting my old room at my parents house, and I found a bunch of my old perfumes. I used to keep those that have some scent left as I would purchase new ones. As I started smelling them one by one, I realized each of them gave me a particular *sensation*. It was just barely in the form of memories, but much more so visceral, like an embodied memory. They reminded me of how it felt to be me in different periods of my life, the periods in which I wore those perfumes.

Occasionally I may re-watch a film/show that I used to love or go through my box of keepsakes and try to recall pieces of my childhood, but I rarely experience nostalgia in the form of memories. In that sense, I struggle to truly understand the notion of nostalgia. I feel that I’ve experienced it just barely enough to mentally comprehend what people mean when they speak of it.. but it is not an experience I have delved into to speak about meaningfully. This probably means I am somewhat lacking in a whole domain of Sapien experience, as in a list of human emotions – amusement, ecstasy, apathy, angst, lust, faith, awe… nostalgia might be one of the very few that are quite foreign to me.

A part of me is wondering if I should be more alarmed by this fact than I actually am.. perhaps so. Perhaps I should be rattled by the realization that over 30 years of my life, with all of their hundreds of millions of moments of striving, of pleasure, of pain, of laughter.. all of my thoughts, insights, spiritual and other meaningful experiences, the people I’ve known and my heart connections with them, the things I’ve shared or secrets I’ve been told.. are all only in the present ‘me’ only insofar as their affects have shaped me and my life, but so very few of them still maintain a reality of their own, a clear vision, or a vivid experience, in my mind and heart. I simply do not have enough information data points in my mind to relive them. They are mostly experienced as a dream that has been mostly forgotten, and that I cannot recall even if I so wish. What does this mean about me?

That I am far less conscious that I’d wish to be. That my Si is heavily unconscious. Or maybe that my obsession with the future (both humanity’s and my own), with potential and possibilities, may have side-affects as to my relationship with the past or the value I give it..? I can only guess..

Uroboric nostalgia

“Many forms of nostalgia and longing signify no more than a return to uroboric incest and self-dissolution, from the unio mystica of the saint to the drunkard’s craving for unconsciousness, and the death-romanticism of the Germanic races. The incest we term “uroboric” is self-surrender and regression. It is the form of incest taken by the infantile ego, which is still close to the mother and has not yet come to itself; but the sick ego of the neurotic can also take this form and so can a later, exhausted ego that creeps back to the mother after having found fulfillment.” ( Neumann, The Origins and History of Consciousness, p. 17 )

I think the only true form of nostalgia I may occasionally experience is similar to what Nuemann is describing here.. a ‘memory’ of the uroboric bliss and yearning to re-experience it.  But this kind of nostalgia is not visionary is its content, it has no images nor sounds. Its more of a visceral-archetypal-spiritual memory of a perfect beauty and love, that rests at the pit of existence, before it even took form.  It can be either bittersweet in nature, or completely blissfull..in a way that reminds me of an innocence of heart that I wish to return to. But either way it enlivens my spirit and opens my heart, and its vector is aimed more so at its potential to manifest again in the future.  Words fail to describe the nuance, but it gives me a sense of alignment to myself, and reminds me of just how beautiful the world is, in a sort of timeless way.

Ninth
    Participant

[…] are all only in the present ‘me’ only insofar as their affects have shaped me and my life, but so very few of them still maintain a reality of their own, a clear vision, or a vivid experience, in my mind and heart. I simply do not have enough information data points in my mind to relive them. They are mostly experienced as a dream that has been mostly forgotten, and that I cannot recall even if I so wish.

I can somewhat relate. This bit, especially:  «I simply do not have enough information data points in my mind to relive them». Not exactly, though. In my case, I suspect the datapoints are all there, but to activate them in such a way is pointless to my conscious self, and perhaps, more generally, to my current functioning.  (I became aware that I tend to tone down or shut off many of the emotions I experience). Since nostalgia doesn’t make much sense in my head, it looks scary. I mean:

They reminded me of how it felt to be me in different periods of my life

isn’t this scary? For some it isn’t. Some seem to enjoy nostalgia, both in its “nice” and “painful” shades. Some people seem to “experience” their memories as they recall them (face, voice, gestures change). I don’t even like the single idea of this. Past is in the past; you can abstract from it. The information it provides you with are certainly useful, but the emotional contamination? I remember what it means to be in love (it happened once), for example; I remember it rationally, and I can tell what kind of emotions I experienced then and describe it all by observing my past-self, but I don’t need to re-experience them and, above all, don’t want to — because it doesn’t make sense! Why should I live the present by confusing it with the past? And this is what recurring nostalgia looks like to me: you don’t feel you’re “you” but “fragments of you” scattered along the duct of time. Some people’s identity is deeply rooted in their memories — they identify with their past — and, at the extremes, they can’t let the past go and can’t make sense of the present. Gosh, this is making me feel dizzy. Of course there’s “progress” (I perceive myself as rather “linear” and have spent much time analyzing my “story” to understand my-self, and I also value and “investigate” others’ stories for the same reason) between the past and the present; that’s necessity. So, why the contamination?

I’d like others to share their pov.

safsom
    Participant
    • Type: NiTe
    • Attitude: Unseelie

you Si blind ENTJ monster, you

In all seriousness, I do not know how to answer this question from the vantage point of my own internal experience, but I will comment that I have noticed that those most attracted to ‘nostalgic’ experiences are not those with Pi developed on its own (which is what one might expect), but with elements of Ji in there too. Ji creates the idealization of the experience (which is necessary for nostaglia), whereas Pi somewhat more reflexively accumulates/reflects on experiences (for me, it is almost preconscious) without necessary consciously ‘nostalgizing’ them (though there can be an orientation to ‘those days were better’, it is usually not a thematic idealization).

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by safsom.
    Elsie
    Participant
    • Type: SeFi

defined as a fondness/reexperience of past events, and a longing/preservation of things, i dont think ive ever felt it
    no nostalgias
    no keepsakes unless its useful-expensive-object that just happened to be from related past, if its good and strong u bet i keep it, but it needs a purpose/reason

ppl have tried to make keepsakes for me and i’ve been brought to anger, “you will want this later”, no i dont
    inevitably, such sentimental things get left in cupboards and never tended to again, taking up space, or thrown out as soon as possible,

i understand that others find it important (some more than others), but i have 0 idea why they would, or why it would matter

muh brain atm

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Elsie.
    Auburn
    Keymaster

very curious results so far!

@janie
    @elisaday I’m especially curious about your experiences, since Janie you mentioned having nostalgia of a sort. And Ash you mentioned Se users being very nostalgic. Curious to know how that manifests!

So far it seems the above replies are a lot more tilted towards Ne/Si nostalgia, but I’m sure there’s an Se/Ni variant of this.

I’m curious to know how you feel about the experiences described above, and how they relate or don’t relate to yours?

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Auburn.
    a.k.a.Janie
    Participant
    • Type: FiSe
    • Development: ll--

Well, OK then, here goes 🙂

Yes, actually later the same day (iirc) after posting on the V vs M thread, I was listening to music and a song came on. It wasn’t just any “oldie but goodie”, but it had that rare full-on effect that I might call “blast from the past” (lol), seemingly because of all of the following elements. . .
    There was a time frame in my life, when I was significantly younger and my life situation was significantly different (place, circumstances, etc.) Let’s say it has to be at least 10 years ago, for the full effect. There was a song I would hear the song periodically on a regular basis. One that I liked more than disliked, but not so much of an all-time favorite that I would deliberately keep it around into the future. So therefore, it got “lost” from the present as time went on, to remain in the original period of time where it lived, for me, so to say. Then, one day, I unexpectedly hear it again. Hearing the notes is accompanied by an influx of…not “memories” in the strictest/explicit/verbal sense, but kind of sensory memories, like a unique pattern of neurons is getting activated in my brain / cells, that hadn’t been activated in exactly that way since a different time of my life, because *I* was re-hearing the song, it’s not just the song re-playing, but I as the same person who had encoded it in my personal memory, wherein other things inevitably get encoded along with it, such as hints of the feelings of my life experience…yes, what it felt like to be me at that time, as has been said. So some experience is essentially re-lived when the neurons or whatever get re-activated out of the blue. A lot of people experience this with smells, as do I. I think that smells often fit the same criteria even more often than songs, so it makes sense to me. Thing is, I’m the same, yet in some ways a different, person between the original experiences and the re-experience. This is in line with many things that others have said, as I will touch on in the following answers.

I’ll start with what already on this thread I relate to:

I was surprised at how much I related to @hrafn ‘s eloquent post, considering we share no functions in common! I related to a majority of it, especially this:

Yet as I explained above, acute nostalgia paradoxically comes from the novelty of long-forgotten sensory experience. I only get this from things that have raw, fresh or unexpected sensory qualities. An object that is openly on display in my house will be constantly traveling forward in time in constant interaction with me. Even if it’s rooted the deep past, I’ll recognize it as an evolving part of my present. In order for something to make a strongly nostalgic impression—rather than simply be part of the present-day background ambience—it has to penetrate the fog with some “new” or long-forgotten sensory quality that brings a past memory up-close & personal. Once I’ve thoroughly absorbed this sensory quality, this acute nostalgia gradually wears off.

And I do this all the time, too:

This is generally true of so many past memories: while I do have a large capacity for nostalgic feelings about my past perceptions, I also have a large capacity for feeling shame & regret based on my present-day interpretations of them.

I also relate to parts of @bella ‘s (who I also have no functions in common with!) like this:

. . . I was visiting my old room at my parents house, and I found a bunch of my old perfumes. I used to keep those that have some scent left as I would purchase new ones. As I started smelling them one by one, I realized each of them gave me a particular *sensation*. It was just barely in the form of memories, but much more so visceral, like an embodied memory. They reminded me of how it felt to be me in different periods of my life, the periods in which I wore those perfumes.

Also I agree with this from @safsom

, but with elements of Ji in there too. Ji creates the idealization of the experience (which is necessary for nostaglia)

Or at least I feel that to be the case with my Fi. If feeling wasn’t involved, then it wouldn’t really be nostalgia, the human phenomenon. Just something more like a hard drive in a computer, or something.

What I do not relate to:
    I don’t really relate to the kind of nostalgia where you imagine yourself as being born in the past. It does make me think though, ever since I was little, even too little to know of my ethnic background, I felt a pull to vaguely some of those lands. But that goes off on another tangent, as more of a longing for another place than another time. I do find it *interesting* though, in a Pe curiosity way, to see glimpses into things like very old videos, like some of the first ones, things like that. Maybe it’s Se vs Si.

As far as re-creating events like playing childhood video games and stuff, I do enjoy that once in awhile. I have a bit of a fondness for computers the way they were, before it was all smartphones and sleek MacBook Airs, and you could actually see a bit of what was in them that made them work the way they do. I did install a DOS emulator to play some of my childhood favorite Windows 95 games on. I would love to have a system, like that or older, to try to boot up, but I don’t. But now this is going from sort of nostalgia-lite, to just not Pe-Te curiosity. lol.

Also not deliberately. Usually, I will receive something, and it has an emotional significance, so I decide to keep it out of sentimental value and because, well, it’s my life that’s going by, the only one (I know of), and to quote Alexander Pope, “He lives twice who can at once employ, the present well, and e’en the past enjoy.”

Not that much…? Maybe once every couple months or so, if I restrict it to what I would call true experiences.

grockl
    Participant
    • Type: FiNe
    • Development: l-l-

(could be anything you feel comfortable with)

I keep coming back to these frozen memories of my old houses. I also feel a sense of longing for something that doesn’t exist and I don’t know what it is.

Is it reminiscing or replaying favorite memories in your mind,
    or actively recreating events that you enjoyed in the past (such as re-booting/playing your old N64),
    or is it more about trying to physically preserve things untouched (such as not replacing an old bike)
    or something else maybe..?

Most often it is induced or inducing a certain atmosphere. A peaceful environment where mysteries are lurking in the background. Ooh! I think X-Files is one of the things that brings those feelings. It feels old but the theme song sometimes pops up in my mind, inviting you to go somewhere. Either that or an idealistic past where the background is peaceful but filled with drama, like… Braveheart? That made no sense since it is a war film, but somehow there is a sense of belonging, struggle, and spirit. I know these could hardly be called “nostalgia” but somehow they’re connected in my mind. Naruto, Tomb Raider, yeah, there are many these frozen memories in my head.

[Edit: And I say “frozen”, but it’s the essence that is frozen, the surroundings themselves are constantly reconstructed a bit.)

(i.e. “an object that has sentimental value, like a locket that belonged to your grandmother”).

Not that many, tbh. But I think I’ve always brought something from the beach whenever I went there. I could say floating on the sea, carried around by the waves has the most calming effect for me.

Significantly compared to other emotions.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by grockl.
    Ninth
    Participant

And Ash you mentioned Se users being very nostalgic.

That surprised me. Before this thread was a thing, I had linked my lack of nostalgia to Se, because I thought it had a different framing. Well, also because I’m surrounded by Ne/Si, but sure my sampling is biased. Do the Se/Ni users in CT usually experience nostalgia?

I agree with «Pi somewhat more reflexively accumulates/reflects on experiences ». I’m not sure why Ji would idealize past experience in a sentimental way, though. I’d like to know more about your idea @safsom.

Edit: NVM, I re-read that, I was sleepy then. It’s all clear saf, I got what you mean.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Ninth.
    Elisa Day
    Participant
    • Development: ll--

@auburn The reason I keep repeating ‘Se users can be so nostalgic’ might be because I often observe Se revisors talking about themselves, their lives, and their general experiences far more often than I see Si conductors do so. This is most likely due to general Ji tendencies.

It seems common to see Se revisors on the server posting old songs they used to love and going on about how great they were, how music/movies/etc were so much better then. They say things like, “remember so-and-so? Man, I miss them. Those were some good times.” They’ll post pictures of themselves as kids, reminisce about their bad fashion choices, tell stories about their families and home towns while growing up, etc. Călin (SeTi) enjoyed taking me around his home town and telling stories about the friends he had, how they dressed, the music they listened to, how they killed time, etc. Meanwhile, the Si conductors tend to be pretty quiet about their personal lives from what I can tell.

As for the actual *experience* of nostalgia, from my point of view, I think of it as a feeling that’s like being haunted. There’s something unsettling to me about nostalgia. Sometimes the feeling is so unsettling, I purposely avoid it. Junk can build up in my home just because it takes too much mental processing to sort through and decide which keepsake is worth the memories or not. This creates a sense of stagnancy, and the junk just needs to be purged without much thought to refresh the flow and rejuvenate the cycles.

I have perceived my memories stay fresh when I have keepsakes, like photographs, music, movies, books, letters, etc. Without keepsakes, my memory hangs onto very little. The experience must be exceptional to reminisce upon without the use of keepsakes, and over time I will typically decide it would be more mentally healthy to just let go, move on, and create mental space for new experiences; just like purging the old junk in my home creates more physical space for new things.

When I was a kid, my mother encouraged me to make scrapbooks and bought me some supplies. Much to her disappointment, I didn’t fill the scrapbooks with personal experiences or memories. Instead I filled them with images from magazines that I thought looked cool, pretty, or interesting. I made dozens over the years, and still like to look at them every now and then because I still think the images are cool, pretty, or interesting. They aren’t “fresh” like they used to be, but there’s still something inspiring about looking back at what was once a mystery and is now more deeply understood.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Elisa Day.
    Starshade
    Participant
    • Type: NeFi
    • Attitude: Seelie

I got excellent memory, but the feeling of nostalgia, is, I can feel it, sure. But not typically. Usually, a weak feeling “that was fun” or something, watching at a picture or something, fleeting, before moving on. On this question, I basically answer: “No” for now, and will think about how to frame it.

I can remember chess parties at age 10, school presentations, stories, things, events, etc. I am just not really nostalgic.

Remnants
    Participant
    • Type: FiNe
    • Development: l---
    • Attitude: Seelie

this forum is garbage

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© Copyright 2012-2020 J.E. Sandoval
SEE HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

DISCLAIMER

The content on this site is not
intended for medical advice, diagnosis,
or treatment. Always seek the advice
of your physician or other qualified
health provider with questions you
may have regarding a medical condition.
For more information visit this link.

SHARE: FACEBOOK, SUPPORT: PATREON