On the Sublime

Home Forums Spirituality & Philosophy On the Sublime

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Alexander the Less
    Participant
    • Type: NeFi
    • Development: llll
    • Attitude: Unseelie

I preface with a prompt for any and all to answer: What, if any, experiences with the Sublime do you have? Please describe them as you see fit.
    Now, feel free to respond to the prompt and pass over my rambling.

Personal Encounters with the Sublime

Throughout my life I have often found myself in a state where the immense grandeur of the things that make up this existence emotionally overwhelm me. Usually this sensation is paired with manic episodes and a great deal of frustration as seemingly everyone around me refuses to stop and immerse themselves in the awe and wonder of this life we have. There is this overwhelming sensation that I can see... feel?... the entire universe collapsing in on itself as this helplessly interconnected system.
    I want to describe this sensation as if I were watching an inverted atomic bomb.
    Instead of unbridled destruction and ripping apart that instill dread, these encounters with the sublime are moments where the magnitude of construction and knitting together of all things is on display in a manner that instill... almost dread.... It is an absolutely wonderful sensation, but it is something so large and grand that it cannot help but to rival cosmic horrors. The enormity of this existence, the way in which everything connects and folds in onto and into itself, is so all-encompassing that there is this sense of becoming utterly lost in it all.
    It is like seeing the very face of God. There is only one description that I can think of that begins to give insight into how I experience this sensation:

And one cried unto another, and said, "Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory."
    And the posts of the door moved at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke.
    Then said I, "Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts."

Isaiah 6:3-5

I am undone.
    During these moments I often come off as somewhat incoherent and out of control, typically a by-product of myself experiencing an emotional state that is beyond words (I'm experiencing it this morning, and I am using every ounce of energy I have to write a coherent post). Still, I had to make a solid effort to communicate some facet of this experience, as it is something so overwhelming that I can't help but share it.
    It is a fervor that helps me understand the evangelists and disciples that couldn't help but attempt to share what they had experienced with everyone, even if it meant death, just so at least one other person could experience it.
    So I hope to hear from as many of you as possible, and I desperately hope there are at least some here that have similar encounters.

bella
    Keymaster
    • Type: TiNe
    • Development:
    • Attitude: Unknown

That's a beautiful question @alexandertheless.
    I think one of the ways I experience the sublime is in the form of an infinite potentiality, which soars my inner eye to speculative visions of the future.. the future of humanity, and all the ways it can unfold. I quickly realize my limitations in this process, and I am left with a vision of a future that gets more nebulous as it spirals farther away... several decades, hundreds, thousands, hundreds of thousands of years from now.. but that limitation in itself is part of the experience of the greatness of potential, of  knowledge, of time and space..
    In this state I experience the infinity of matter, of the never ending striving towards omniscience, all that was and is and could be, and all that can be discovered, unraveled, elevated into new states of consciousness and new forms of existence. And in this infinite potentiality also exists a subtle underlying hope, which stands in stark contrast to my otherwise bleak experience of reality as inherently tragic. But in the experience of an infinite potentially, my deeper self knows an inherent possibility to change, repair, exalt, and expose new domains in the universe and in the human spirit.
    Granted, on another level this experience of a potential infinite can also leave me frustrated and weak.  The understanding that my mind cannot grasp what is beyond its capacity to grasp is simultaneously endearing and boggling but also disheartening.  Yet my intoxication with this sublime riddle keeps me going back to it..

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
A forum exploring the connection between Jungian typology and body mannerisms.

Social Media

© Copyright 2012-2021 Juan E. Sandoval - Use Policy
searchhomecommentsenvelopegraduation-hatbookearth linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram