Hello World!

Home Forums The General Hall Hello World!

• SierraTangoWhiskey
    Participant
    • Type: NeFi
    • Development: ll-l
    • Attitude: Seelie

Hello World!

I was typed several months ago but today is my first time posting to the forums.  I’ve had alot of questions/thoughts swirling in my head for a while, so I was hoping I could brain dump.  I hope its proper and polite for me to add that info here.

So…

I’m the typical typology story.  Typed several different ways, by several different websites, (INFP, INTJ, ISTJ, INTP).  For a while I thought I was INTJ but after study I felt that Ni didn’t really fit me.  The closest I ever felt comforable with was INTP.  Even then, Ti didn’t feel right either.

Then one day I saw the light and got visually typed here at CT.  (Angels singing) NeFi.

NeFi?  Never in a million years did I think I could type as an extrovert, let alone a ENFP (pardon the colloqialism, I know that ENFP is not equal to NeFi.)  Of course Auburn was quick to point out the CT correlation between NeFi and INTPs.  Which made me feel better, but still piqued my curiosity

If you met me you would definitely peg me as an introvert.  (My cousin, who turned me on to CT off the cuff said I was an INFJ — that seems to be an appropriate vibe that I agree I would give.)

From reading CT I learned that Ne could be turned inward toward daydreaming.  That made sense to me.  I am constantly in my head thinking about… things.  Usually the things that I obsess about: exercise programming, typology, writing a novel, …  That’s where I live.

I’m always looking for insights, intuitive answers — its the main reason why I intially thought I was INTJ, however, Ni never really resonated with me.

I’m not really a very convergent thinker.  I’m more divergent, like “wow! Did you know those two things were actually connected?”  (BTW those two things actually have nothing in common =-) .)

I’m a bottomless pit of useless information.  I can figure out what endoscopic retrograde cholangio-pancreatography is without using google.

But I have no idea where my keys are.

Sometimes I feel like I could be an ISTJ (it’s my worst fear…  sorry ISTJs of the world.)  I’ve found a pattern that when I have low energy or its an overcast day that I feel *stuck.*  I need a routine and structure to make me productive.  But sometimes I feel stuck in the structure — or else like I’m not getting anywhere or achieving anything.  That’s how I perceive Si: routine, tradition, structure.  (Maybe I’m misperceiving Si, sorry for the generalization Si’s!)

When I’m on top of my game, I’m optomistic, solving novel problems (I work as a sort of glorified tech support for the automotive industry),  creative, productive.  It’s what I love doing.  It’s the state I’m in when I feel most alive.

If it weren’t for rigid discipline and structure (Si) I would be a useless human being…  Ok, Non-productive human being.  I put it on like a suit of armor, fight the battle, then it falls off and I’m off to never-never land again.

The one thing I don’t relate to with Si is narrative.  I don’t string events together long term.  I’m more episodic.  Experiences trigger particular memories.  My thoughts connect like strands in a spider web.  Not in a long continuous story like a chain.  It is a concerted effort for me to linearly lay out a line of thought.

I’ve noticed some of my friends write in flowing paragraphs from related idea to idea.  I write… well, like this…

So what am I getting at?

1. I don’t really know.
    2. This is who I am…  It’s good to meet you!
    3. Do other NeFi’s have a similar experience?
    4. My CT Report says my margin of error is SiTe…  Could I be SiTe?
    5. Could I have the temperament of an ISTJ  but the “wiring” of an ENFP?  (I’m NeFi ||-|)

Thanks for your attention.

Sierra.

fayest42
    Participant
    • Type: FiNe
    • Development: ll--
    • Attitude: Unseelie

Thanks for sharing! I love reading about how different types view themselves, and I think it’s really helpful to the system to gather information about that. I’m no expert, but what you describe certainly sounds like Ne to me 🙂 And I think it’s pretty common for Ne-leads to identify as introverts (in fact, there’s a thread about it here: https://cognitivetype.com/forums/topic/nefis-with-social-anxiety/). Btw, I also identified as an INTP before finding CT!

Shelley Lorraine
    Participant

Hi Sierra! I am a NeFi with a very similar experience. I too typed as INTJ for the longest time, but also considered ISTJ and INFJ… always introvert, at any rate. I need routine and structure too for productivity, but I can also feel suffocated by this. I probably spend more time creating routines than actually following them XD. I see we differ in Si vs Te development. I blame my Te for my sometime ISTJ vibe. Incidentally, my husband has been typed as SiTe here (formerly self typed as INTP) yet I seem more structured than he. It’s when I look beyond the first-impression behaviors that I see how very Si he is vs my Ne.

Now that I’ve had a long time to settle into my NeFi typing, I can hardly believe I ever thought I was anything else.

I haven’t seen your vid, but fwiw, based on your writing style, I’d say you are typed correctly as Ne lead 😉

Robert Mitchell
    Participant
    • Development: l-l-

You certainly sound like an ENFP based on my online experiences. I’m actually ENTP with Shadow Fi that I was completely blind too. CT isn’t quite equipped to deal with that scenario (a dual Fi/Ti user), but its also the only way to pick it up, and thus it helps me understand myself a lot better.

fayest42
    Participant
    • Type: FiNe
    • Attitude: Unseelie

@shelley-lorraine

I probably spend more time creating routines than actually following them XD.

• This reply was modified 12 months ago by fayest42.
    Ninth
    Participant
    • Type: TiSe
    • Development: l--l
    • Attitude: Directive

LOL! It’s always funny to see how people can write long posts while I need to make efforts to go beyond my usual single line. Welcome! 🙂

That’s how I perceive Si: routine, tradition, structure

From what I remember, structure is “J” even in MBTI. The association with routine and structure comes from the idea of what the J means in the four-letters code (Pi-user => xxxJ type). I’m out of the NeSi axis and have no P-dev; yet, my life is structured and I follow my personal routine.

I don’t string events together long term. I’m more episodic.

Would you mind expanding? Maybe give some examples? I’m interested, since you showed a Pi dev. Note that I ignore what a polarized Pe psychology is supposed to be like, though.

SierraTangoWhiskey
    Participant

Thanks for the questions!

First, how do you do the cool quote thing?  (I’m new to this).

Second, it’s a long post because it’s been swirling in my head for months. I can be quite obsessive about figuring things out. So I’ll beat the heck out of a thought until I either solve it or write it down.  It’s the primary reason I write my first post. I was tired of thinking about it. So what you see is the culmination of (only a portion) months of rumination. It just all finally had an outlet to spill out.

Third, what do I mean by episodic vs linear?  Well, for instance, my wife remembers things in detail: this person did this, then that, and this happened. It’s like reading from a book. I remember things by association.  Memories just pop into my head because something associated triggers them. Perhaps that’s just how memory works for everyone but I feel as though some people are way better at remembering details and telling the story of events better than I am.

Or how about this: some people’s memories are connected to a timeline, but my memories are tied to experiences irrespective of time or order.

Ninth
    Participant

First, how do you do the cool quote thing? (I’m new to this).

DW, I’m not familiar with all the Format options either!

Third, what do I mean by episodic vs linear? Well, for instance, my wife remembers things in detail: this person did this, then that, and this happened. It’s like reading from a book. I remember things by association. Memories just pop into my head because something associated triggers them. Perhaps that’s just how memory works for everyone but I feel as though some people are way better at remembering details and telling the story of events better than I am.

Yep, I think associations are for everyone — that’s literally what triggers a memory.

Or how about this: some people’s memories are connected to a timeline, but my memories are tied to experiences irrespective of time or order.

What do you mean? Can you make an example? I know this can be a boring question, but I’m not sure that my interpretation of your words would be “fair” to your thoughts.

SierraTangoWhiskey
    Participant

I feel as though (I say feel because I have no concrete evidence, only my impressions) some people are better at replaying events across time.

Its as though some people record and watch their memories as a video, but I only see snapshots.

Some people have a continuous storage of information, but mine is discreet.

Of course I could tell you the story of my life from birth until now.

I guess what I’m getting it is that where some people may have a chronological, linear story my recollection would be segmented and wandering.

SierraTangoWhiskey
    Participant

Perhaps I experience my memory as being so disjointed because I’m constantly in my head.

While Ne is busy looking at shiny objects, people with Se are actually taking the real world in all it’s details and happenings.

Ninth
    Participant

I’d like to share with you one part of this ( link ) article.

As a Pi function, Si has a long cycle of decay (L), keeping information schemas perpetually suspended in consciousness as a background process; providing context. These schemas are episodes from the past that have been stored as anecdotes, and which are brought back into awareness as they relate to the situation. All the details relevant to the navigation of that particular situation are re-triggered into consciousness, effectively rebooting the same simulation or actuality that was entertained originally. This gives Si a nostalgic capacity, since it stores episodes more or less just the way they were last left — due to Si being a concrete (C) process which does not alter the properties of its datasets.

However, what this means is that Si’s episodes will not be interwoven into a universal or thematic web, but will be indexed as a series of lessons each relevant to a multitude of different situations. This does not mean Si gives a person a good understanding of chronology, since the order in which the episodes are stored is not always remembered, but each episode is nonetheless indexed in a somewhat isolated fashion. Si will then toggle between schemas as situations change, calling forth those that relate the most to the environment. And when Si has understood what the context is, they will remember the outcome of this context from before, and understand the situation in a consequential fashion; anticipating a similar outcome this time around.

• This reply was modified 12 months ago by Ninth.
    SierraTangoWhiskey
    Participant

Yes, I relate to that — “memories indexed in isolation” and retrieved contextually.

Perhaps my original description of my memory conflated Si with “remembering” itself. Like I said, perhaps the disjointed ness of my recall is related more to what I pay attention to rather than how my perception process works.

So, as an Ni user how would you describe your experience with memory?  Obviously you can remember the details of what you did last week, but how would your experience differ from mine?

Ninth
    Participant

Hmm. I think other Se/Ni users experiences must be taken into account because I’m a synaesthete, which affects my relationship with both sensory and abstract objects. I’ll try to filter that out, though, and to depict my experience as if we both ignored CT.

I’d say that I’m always looking for a “story” that connects things from the past to the present, from one remote context to the nearest, by means of underlying meanings. I can recall precise details and the image is as vivid as if it were “fresh”, but one interesting thing happens: the image is “distorted” by the forces of the overarching theme; depending on what sort of aspects I’m investigating by ransacking the tape, the “meaningful” qualities/details are enhanced.
    For example, I was once asked to share a memory to “show” how I experience the process of recalling. I’ll translate what I then wrote from my language to English, but, I warn you, it’s a bit long.

Spoiler:
    My memories come often from a third-person perspective. Sometimes they’re blurry and distant from concrete reality. I can re-experience intensely some sensations. Memories in themselves are not a big deal; it’s in the present moment or through an investigation process that they become handful, especially as they “fluidify”.

F is at the opposite side of the table; crossed hands, rigid spine, winking smile; a few moments later, he flexes his torso forward, his right eyebrow unperceivably dropped down, his knuckles suddenly brighter and his lips stretched to resemble a line. «Yes, I agree with you», he says. «Really? Your eyebrow didn’t seem to think so», I reply.

While telling this story, I visualized a film.
    Everything’s black; a red-to-orange spotlight moves around to spot the several objects, making them visible. I can barely see his silhouette and it’s blurry, it looks like a cartoon drawing that’s becoming more and more realistic as time passes by. He’s got not face, his skin is fair, he’s wearing a white shirt under a soft green sweater with red borders on the wrists and on the neck openings, cream colored trousers. I can see now his right eyebrow floating on the scene; it’s not attached to his face — it’s nearer to me than he his. Now I can see his hands and his facial features; I suddenly remembered that he’s got large blue eyes with golden dots and long feminine eyelashes, the blonde goatee.
    The scene changes: another pair of eyes on black background. They’re hazel colored, drop-shaped and giant, with the external extremities slightly falling. They look dull and introverted. They belong to M, a person who’s sitting by faking comfort on the armchair: crossed legs, arms stretched along the chair arms, the trunk eased down on the seatback – along the diagonal line. M is a worker and he’s studying psychology; he’s fascinating to look at, but his feeble handshake and his palm – which felt infinitely distant from mine – had distracted me for a moment, making me sense the emptiness under my feet. I can feel the touch of his skin on mine: very delicate, reserved, hurried. I can hear his voice; I can’t remember how it sounds, but I can feel its warm softness which contrasts with his cold skin and the cold palettes he usually wears in his outfits. I can now hear the music full volume at the square, the vibrations under my shoes; everyone’s as rigid as a pole – “dancing is for pueri”, I hear ‘em thinking -, luckily enough, V wants to enjoy himself, and we start swinging and swaying — oh gosh, look at me, I look like an epileptic! Oh, A is joining us, F and his “secret” girlfriend following; M, far from us, together with few others – but separated from them -, looking like an upside-down exclamation mark: beige coat, beige cap. What are you doing in this life, M? Who are you?

• This reply was modified 12 months ago by Ninth.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© Copyright 2012-2020 J.E. Sandoval
SEE HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

DISCLAIMER

The content on this site is not
intended for medical advice, diagnosis,
or treatment. Always seek the advice
of your physician or other qualified
health provider with questions you
may have regarding a medical condition.
For more information visit this link.

SHARE: FACEBOOK, SUPPORT: PATREON