Experiment on Cognitive Functions

Home Page Forums Cognitive Functions Experiment on Cognitive Functions

• fayest42
    Participant
    • Type: FiNe
    • Development: ll--
    • Attitude: Unseelie

Hi, folks! I’m planning on doing an experiment on the cognitive functions. Part of the experiment will involve asking people questions that are designed to demonstrate their use of the cognitive functions (so not self-reporting their behavior, but directly observing their behavior). One example might be asking them to use a strange phrase in a sentence (like “philosophy oven” or “fish leash”) with the idea that people with Ne would likely respond differently to this question than people without Ne. I’m wondering if you all have any other ideas for questions that could bring out certain cognitive functions. Any thoughts?

Supah Protist
    Participant
    • Type: SeTi
    • Development: ll-l
    • Attitude: Directive

“How to” questions could stimulate Je.

CB
    Participant
    • Type: NeFi
    • Development: l---

I think that if you wanted useful data, you would likely run into lot of ‘bias’ issues with the test unfortunately…. but if it’s just for fun then….

NE “What are the different ways in which ________ can be interpreted”

I wont do the rest, as ppl with those functions as their base probably have a better view point…….

Bera
    • Type: SeFi
    • Attitude: Seelie

Oh, interesting !

I’ll post some ideas.

For Pi (and possibly for quadra) – what do you think will be the consequences of the coronavirus pandemic worldwide ? how do you think your country will be affected in the next months? why?

For Je (and possibly Pi) – what are your political views and what circumstances shaped them ?

Are you a feminist? why/why not?

For Fi (or more broadly Ji and Je)- What is your position regarding LGBT rights? 🙂

For Pi again – how do you think today’s culture/education impacts men?

For Pi and possibly for quadra – are you a supporter of AI development? why/why not?

For Fe/Te – someone under your supervision does not comply with your requests. How do you handle the situation?

(this question might have an Fi – Te bias, maybe it needs some rephrasing)

For any function – what is your opinion about dating apps?

(this can go any direction)

For Je & Ji; broadly for any function – would you tell the truth in any circumstances ? what are possible situations in which you would lie or hide the truth? why?

For any function – do you think we have a life purpose ? what is it? who determines it?

For P (broadly for any function) – if time travel was possible, where and in what historical period would you travel to and why? (you can travel to the past or future)

For any function – what made you feel interested in typology? How could you use it in your everyday life?

For any function, it could go any way – do you plan doing anything specific during the quarantine period?

Any function – what is the best work environment for you? (for students – what is the best environment for studying?)

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Bera.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by Bera.
    fayest42
    Participant

Thanks so much the suggestions! Keep them coming, folks 🙂

@cb
    , what bias are you thinking of specifically? There are a few I’ve thought of that I have already realized I won’t be able to remove completely because I don’t have the resources of enough time/people/money, but I’d like to remove bias wherever possible because I’m not viewing this as being “just for fun.” I’m not expecting to get published in an academic journal or anything, but I do hope to actually get some useful results that could influence typing methods and inspire further research.

CB
    Participant

Hey @Fayest42,

So first you wouldn’t want people who already know about typology to take the test, due to the potential bias of them aiming for a particular result

Then you would have to type them as objectively as possible after the questionnaire, e.g. send them here.

Also you would have to make sure that you have as objective as possible definitions of the functions, which is a big ask, as these functions vary in their definitions depending on the source. A lot of /maybe most definitions describe possible manifestations of the function, rather than the pure basic essence of the function, hence so much confusion everywhere about what the functions actually are, and thus also missing other possible manifestations of the functions

Then you would either need questions which ensure that it is only possible to answer that question, using that one particular function that you are analysing, or you would have to rely on your subjective interpretation of which function(s) are being used, and if multiple functions are being used for one question, you would have to rely on your interpretation of which one is dominant…..

Also you would need to assume that a person will be guaranteed to answer those questions with skill/volume/your measurement criteria, directly proportionate to their functional preferences

There could be more things, but that’s what comes to mind for now….

fayest42
    Participant

@cb, not to worry, I have thought of these things 🙂 But I appreciate you contributing your thoughts. I’m definitely open to input on the experiment design. I’m not a trained scientist.

First, I do indeed plan to use people who are not familiar with the cognitive functions.

Re: typing them as objectively as possible, part of the point of the experiment is to examine a few different typing methods to see what correlates with what. The volunteers will take a test (Dario Nardi’s cognitive functions test) and read type descriptions to type themselves.  I have also asked Auburn if he would be willing to type the volunteers, but I don’t know yet whether he will. If he doesn’t, I will type them myself to the best of my ability with the codifier. There are a few other typing methods I’d like to include as well.

And regarding the function definitions, that’s also part of what the experiment is examining. I would like to include questions related to a variety of different function definitions to see what correlates with what. Different typing methods might be valid  with different function definitions.

Regarding making the questions such that they are measuring one specific function, I have no doubt that people will use a variety and different combinations of functions to answer the questions. I don’t think it’s possible to completely isolate a single function with a particular question, but I do think certain functions will influence the answers to certain questions more than others. And it doesn’t need to be perfect since we’re looking for trends, not for something that is accurate for every individual.

Animal
    Participant
    • Type: SeFi
    • Development: lll-

For Je…..  Are you a feminist? why/why not?

I just laughed so hard!!!! Hahaha indeed Je people seem to have strong opinions on this nowadays!

CB
    Participant

@Fayest42 good stuff!

Sounds like it will be a cool experiment anyway 🙂

I definitely recommended trying to get input from each type if possible, on this

a.k.a.Janie
    Participant
    • Type: FiSe

I’m interested in what the results will be–particularly whether any patterns observed correlate more with the cognitive functions quiz results, or with vultological type, in cases where the two are not the same.
    While your questionnaire does seem to remove some of the constraints of self-reporting, it may have the drawback of not being certain how well any of the questions actually measures the function it’s intended to. That being said, my hypothesis is still that your questions and the Nardi quiz are both primarily behavior-based, as opposed to vultology-based, and will therefore resemble each other more closely.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Copyright 2012-2020 | CognitiveType.com
This website's articles, its reading methodology and practices are the intellectual property of J.E. Sandoval.
Animated GIFs, images and videos belong to their respective owners.