Attitudes of perception in polarized types

Home Page Forums Ask a Demographic Attitudes of perception in polarized types

• safsom
    Participant
    • Type: NiTe
    • Development: ll-l
    • F Attitude: Unseelie

For the formulation of my own typological system (which has its root in Jung but the methods used within it being epistemological rather than vultological), I have recently begun to root out the core differences between the two attitudes of perception Рdelineated here as introverted and extroverted perception. Before expounding on my analyses of these attitudes, however, I think it is integral to define introversion and extroversion, lest any confusion arise on part of the reader of this post (which would greatly hinder the flow and quality of productive, erudite discussion). Simply put, extroversion is a focus directly on the object, independent of the subject (as per Jung). The extrovert is not reflective when that word means contemplative of his or her relation to the object, to the extrovert, it is the object itself that is of interest.  What does this imply in the perceptual realm?

It means that dominant extroverted perceivers (termed Pe leads here in CT), have their main concern within¬†objects¬†themselves. Those can be discrete, well-defined, “concrete” objects (in the case of Se), or hazy, abstract, “fuzzy” potential-based objects (Ne). They¬†immerse¬†themselves in whatever object has caught their perception. Theoretically, this could lend itself to a certain obsessiveness with that which is external, potentially making it a great catalyst for research and discovery. Problems that may arise are flightiness (latching on to new objects) and a lack of retention (extroverted perception may have the tendency to neglect stockpiling or storing information, and instead focus on its gain). They¬†become¬†the perception, they¬†become¬†the object (because they’re not projecting like Je leads), and so they simply¬†abandon¬†any sense of self (apart from Ji frameworks) in normal cases.

Dominant introverted perceivers (termed Pi leads here), on the other hand, are also concerned with information Рto the point where many could be considered walking encyclopedias. The difference lies in the subject focus versus the object focus. Though it is still perception, and thus gathers data, due to its subjective focus, the gathered perceptions will find analogies in past perceptions. It is a cumulative process, and so the information is stored with other information in a web. This is why introverted perceiver types are known for having good memories and cautious tendencies Рthey want the external world to lie within the realm of what they have seen (subjective perceptions are by very definition crystalized and thus rooted in the past). They do not ever become the object like Pe leads, but they impress upon the object their own qualities Рbeing some of the most subjective types for this very reason.

My question to the forum lies in how you the¬†attitude¬†of your perceptual functions (whether that be introverted, extroverted or both) manifests in your cognition and behavior. I’m specifically concerned mostly with polarized types. In my own case, I find that I am attracted to the scrupulous and meticulous construction of information networks (and I am known as a ‘walking encylopedia’ or ‘dictionary’ in my social circles, so my self-assessment is not far off), but I am also rather¬†externally¬†obsessive – I will intake raw information at times without undergoing the additional process, simply¬†immersing¬†myself in the information (Se). I’m wondering how polarized types both on my end (Ni) and the other end (Se) of the spectrum will answer. Thank you for reading.

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by safsom.
    • This topic was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by safsom.
    Alice
    Participant
    • Type: FiSe
    • Development: ll--

This is a really wonderful description of the behaviors of these processes! I am not a polarized type, so the only info I can give you is that I certainly tend to lose myself in concrete perception if I am open and focused enough. I actually tend to seek this out. I enjoy the feeling of wholly externalizing my being into an experience, though it takes some effort. My sense of self can sometimes stop me from attaining this, sometimes to the point of feeling wholly removed from the reality and experience around me.

This was a really spot on description, I’d love to see your descriptions of the judging functions!

safsom
    Participant
    • Type: NiTe
    • Development: ll-l

@alice

One question – does this phenomenon of object immersion happen to you when you are studying abstract phenomena as well? I’m referring to entities that are purely metaphysical or theoretical without concrete manifestation – how does the physical immersion work in this case?

I am asking because theories are still phenomena external to the self – they exist in the realm of objective judgement and perception after all. They are outside the self. Does the immersion happen in the same way? Do you associate them with physical phenomena?

Alice
    Participant
    • Type: FiSe
    • Development: ll--

Very interesting question! I didn’t think about this.

While I do have a deep interest in abstract and metaphysical concepts, and spend many hours researching and deep-diving into them, I can’t maintain focus on them very easily. I certainly don’t feel the same feeling I get from wholly engrossing sensory experiences. It’s a totally separate form of stimulation I think! Sifting through abstract information can certainly be engrossing and immersive, but it never brings the same intoxicating feeling of¬†letting go that I get in sensory immersion. I research out of curiosity mostly, but sometimes I think I research out of definitional seeking as per my Ji function. I almost never get satisfaction in this pursuit, as I don’t think that’s what I’m looking for in attaining definition on a matter. Seeking clarity on abstract or metaphysical concepts only brings more questions, and really, a loss of definitional quality. I do it anyway though! The amount of times I check the CT forums a day certainly reflects some kind of deep drive in me to seek out this kind of information.

I think it has to do with that feeling of satisfaction, and that seems to lie firmly in the realm of Se, at least for me. I probably won’t immerse myself in anything unless I can get some kind of satisfaction out of it, and that seems impossible for me in the realm of the non-corporeal.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Tagged: , , , ,

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Copyright 2012-2020 | CognitiveType.com
This website's articles, its reading methodology and practices are the intellectual property of J.E. Sandoval.
Animaged GIFs, images and videos belong to their respective owners.