What about deleting all social media?

Home Page Forums Health & Lifestyle What about deleting all social media?

• CourtJester
    Blocked
    • Type: NiFe
    • Development: lll-
    • F Attitude: Directive

Anyone have any experience with this? Were you able to successfully break away and stay in contact with those select few real friends? I took a break from the Fakebook and I feel better. So, I logged on today to download my info and delete it (all while playing “Fade Out” by Radiohead). I’m thinking about leaving YouTube and all other social media if I can remember all I joined. Just starting to see everything for what it is now and I don’t want to be associated with it.

This sin’t a shit post, I am concerned in some ways and am curious if anyone has done this successfully after having it for 10 years.

Bera
    • Type: SeFi
    • Development: ll--
    • F Attitude: Seelie

I don’t really use Facebook anymore. It’s a waste of time and energy. 🙁 But I haven’t deleted it yet and sometimes I still get tagged in posts.

I read somewhere that you need to keep away from it for 45 days (more or less), in order to manage to completely get rid of the addiction.

We have a saying in Romania – “your total number of vices always remains the same !” So, if you give up Facebook, I hope to see you more often in the discord chat. 🙂

Animal
    Participant
    • F Attitude: Unseelie

We were disgruntled by fakebook – its ugly format and disorganization, not to mention the moral issues of them silencing and censoring whoever they like. They’re free to do that but then we’re free to leave. We had been running a group that was important to us but we moved it to an actual forum. 😀 I’m much happier now. Also, after MONTHS, I had time to come here and post some of the things I’d been percolating about. It may seem like we just moved from one forum to another, but facebook invites ongoing dialogue rather than well thought out, organized posts which can easily be found later.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Animal.
    CourtJester
    Blocked

@bera Well, I’m 7/45 so far but I think I can do it. Most times, when I go “f-this” I’m done and there’s no changing my mind.

CourtJester
    Blocked

@animal I had no clue cognitivetype was once a facebook group. I was on the fence with Facebook for awhile but I watched the recent Snowden interview and that was enough to push me in the direction of deleting. Wish I could get rid of this smart phone. I wish there was an option for a dumb phone these days.

Animal
    Participant

@jay

Not cognitive type. We have our own forum  – archetribe.com – and used to run Enneatude forum on facebook.

Bera

Most times, when I go “f-this” I’m done and there’s no changing my mind.

I deeply resonate with this ! :))

Keso
    Participant
    • Type: NeFi

I had thought about deleting all social networking profiles for a long time. Told all of my close friends and disappeared. Yes, I was completely isolated from social networks for 2 weeks, and yes, I felt better. Because I needed isolation. What did I do?

– read 8 books in 2 weeks.

– went to places like Kazbegi mountains and Paravani lake in Georgia.

– established a daily healthy routine of running every morning.

– deepened relationships with my close friends.

So, you see, I was not completely isolated from my friends, we regularly talked.  Met IRL and talked. Showed emotions and went to adventures.

I felt great and then my vacation had ended. Every study material was on thematic Facebook groups, so I had had to reactivate my facebook account.

So…

I really feel like a lot of things changed while I was away. I became more assertive, organized, calm and self-conscious.

amd guess what?

I’m not going to deactivate my social media sites anymore. Because I finally came to the conclusion that it’s not social media’s fault that I can’t manage my time on facebook healthily. It’s MY FAULT that I’m addicted to it. It’s me WHO NEEDS TO WORK ON MY UNHEALTHY HABIT. So, deactivating social media just because you are addicted to it will not help, if you won’t work on yourself. Even more – you are repressing the feelings of addiction that will come on a surface as more deeply grounded obsession sooner or later.

So if you really want to get rid of this unhealthy habit of addiction, just stop logging in your account. Go out, enjoy life, don’t log in until you have to, stop scrolling and reading stuff on social media. Those free political speeches and thoughts of your “friends'” are cheap and I prefer reading books. or having real conversations about the news and politics.

I’m a social person. I mean, I like being with people. Talking with them. I approach strangers in the street. I like getting to know them. Then I take them to adventures, take photos and add them on social media. It’s not fake in any way. We had a good time and share it with others. Remember Christopher McCandless’ words “Happiness is only real when shared”? I agree, happiness is within, but I need to share or express it as much as I need it to be felt. I call my friends and we go to lakes and just walking the streets, laugh and tell stories. Then I gather those authentic feelings, transform them into creative words and  share it with my facebook audience. I SHARE THEM AFTER I FEEL OR EXPERIENCE THEM.  So it’s far from being fake. I use social media creatively and it works for me.

I’m not saying that “I’m doing a right thing and you should too.” You may not find self-expression and sharing more appealing as much as I do. I like to be an influencer. I like this process. My fb friends are very interesting people and they add interesting thoughts on my wall. They enjoy me. I enjoy them.

So, there are several outcomes for the issues:

1. You want to stop addicting to something – you should keep it near and avoid it at the same time. It will make you stronger. Be strong willed and stop logging in social networking sites for no reason. Go out and do stuff. Do more lively things,that won’t stress you.

2. You think that social networks are fake – maybe because you have the wrong audience in your “friends list” or it’s you who acts deceitfuly . I mean, you are fake. I was fake and I hated that. I blamed it to the social networking site and… got nothing. no improvement. Blame it on yourself and your wrong use of the site. Just purge facebook and surround yourself with great people. There are great networkers out there. We write blogs, share meaningful things, not just selfies or such things. I mean, yes I  think I’ve become a great networker after being a shitty one. and most importantly, I enjoy my presence on internet now.

Conclusion:

You don’t have to delete social networking sites to feel better. YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT YOURSELF AND WORK ON YOURSELF TO FEEL BETTER. Social networks have their purposes and they are all okay. For all of us. As long as we don’t allow them to control us. Control them and you will feel okay.

Hope this helps. x

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Keso.
    CourtJester
    Blocked

@keso holy smokes 🙂

I get your point.

Animal
    Participant

Well said @Keso !!

Ninth
    Participant
    • Type: TiSe
    • Development: l--l

Yes.
    *don’t know what else to say*
    Mainly for privacy reasons? In other cases, letting my profiles rot is ok.

I don’t think I understood what concerns you, though. I’m a bit slow.

Just starting to see everything for what it is now and I don’t want to be associated with it.

What do you mean?

(nice to meetya)

CourtJester
    Blocked

@ninth Nice to meet you as well. I guess I meant a lot of things in that quote. It isn’t just Facebook, I think more universally and Facebook was just a part of the door slam I guess.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Copyright 2012-2020 | CognitiveType.com
This website's articles, its reading methodology and practices are the intellectual property of J.E. Sandoval.
Animaged GIFs, images and videos belong to their respective owners.