Temperament blends and cognitive types

Home Page Forums General Psychology Temperament blends and cognitive types

• Rickus
    Participant
    • Type: SeFi
    • Development: l-l-
    • Attitude: Seelie

Hi there

So i have seen on this website that Pi is Phlegmatic, Ji is Melancholic, Pe is Sanguine and Je is Choleric. However when comparing functions like Fe vs. Te and so forth, I have noticed that only Te is purely Choleric, while Fe appears Choleric combined with Sanguine and Melancholic temperaments since they are more attuned to emotions for example.

So here is a table I made.

Introverted Sensation appears more Phlegmatic Si-Te, and slightly Phlegmatic Sanguine Si-Fe from lightweight inertia and buoyant undercurrent.

Introverted Intuition is more heavy and severe, therefore it is Phlegmatic-Melancholic for Ni-Fe and Phlegmatic-Choleric Ni-Te.

Introverted Feeling is more purely Melancholic, especially Fi-Se who is more linearly focused, while Fi-Ne is Melancholic-Sanguine with Ne levity which I link to the pure Sanguine.

Introverted Thinking is less emotionally aware, more coldly logical at its core, so Ti-Se Melancholic-Choleric, Ti-Ne Melancholic-Phlegmatic.

Extroverted Intuition, especially Ne-Fi is purely Sanguine, while Ne-Ti could possibly be Sanguine-Phlegmatic.

Extroverted Sensation is Se-Fi Sanguine-Melancholic (linked to Fi-Se purely Melancholic) and Se-Ti is Sanguine-Choleric.

Extroverted Thinking, especially Te-Ni is purely Choleric, while Te-Si is Choleric Phlegmatic.

Extroverted Feeling is Fe-Si Choleric-Sanguine (link to tertiary Ne Sanguine) and Fe-Ni is Choleric-Melancholic.

This is just a theory and I might be wrong, but it makes more sense to me to subdivide the types further into temperament blends instead of remaining at the elementary four temperaments level.

Si-Te Phlegmatic Si-Fe Phlegmatic-Sanguine  Ni-Fe Phlegmatic-Melancholic Ni-Te Phlegmatic-Choleric
    Ti-Se Melancholic-Choleric Fi-Se Melancholic Fi-Ne Melancholic-Sanguine Ti-Ne Melancholic-Phlegmatic
    Se-Ti Sanguine-Choleric Se-Fi Sanguine-Melancholic Ne-Fi Sanguine Ne-Ti Sanguine-Phlegmatic
    Te-Si Choleric-Phlegmatic Fe-Si Choleric-Sanguine Fe-Ni Choleric-Melancholic Te-Ni Choleric
    Rickus
    Participant

Okay I may be wrong after all, I will come back when I’ve done more research everybody haha.

Rickus
    Participant

So here is my second attempt

Based on the temperaments of Fish Eaters (a catholic website) I have concluded the following.

Si-Te is most linked to the Phlegmatic (considered SJ Traditionalists).

Fi-Ne is most linked to the Melancholic (considered NF Idealists).

Se-Fi is most linked to the Sanguine (considered SP Artisans).

Te-Ni is most linked to the Choleric (considered NT Conceptualists).

What follows is my speculation about the temperament blends.

ST is most likely Phlegmatic, SF most likely Sanguine, NF most likely Melancholic and NT most likely Choleric. The temperament blends aren’t necessarily based on cognitive type combinations, since there are varying degrees of development. Its more of a combination of the CT model, four temperaments and the original 16 types, and is purely for fun. I am open to hearing what other temperament combinations could possibly fit this system.

Si-Te Phlegmatic Si-Fe Phlegmatic Sanguine Ni-Fe Phlegmatic Melancholic Ni-Te Phlegmatic Choleric
    Ti-Se Melancholic Phlegmatic Fi-Se Melancholic Sanguine Fi-Ne Melancholic Ti-Ne Melancholic Choleric
    Se-Ti Sanguine Phlegmatic Se-Fi Sanguine Ne-Fi Sanguine Melancholic Ne-Ti Sanguine Choleric
    Te-Si Choleric Phlegmatic Fe-Si Choleric Sanguine Fe-Ni Choleric Melancholic Te-Ni Choleric
    Ninth
    Participant
    • Type: TiSe
    • Development: l--l
    • Attitude: Directive
    Spoiler:

Uhm…

While this

Pi is Phlegmatic, Ji is Melancholic, Pe is Sanguine and Je is Choleric

may make sense in theory bc of energetics, I don’t think it works just like that when it comes to types. There’s developments, ego-fixation, heart-attitude, submersion, temperaments and things that go beyond CT that may influence the blending. I’m p.sure I’ve changed my blend more than a couple of times in my life.

The Four Temperaments personality system attempts to describe a person’s overall attitude towards problems, other people, and life in general in a very broad way.

For now, I think the dev profiles would be the best shot?

Extroverted Intuition, especially Ne-Fi is purely Sanguine, while Ne-Ti could possibly be Sanguine-Phlegmatic.

Extroverted Sensation is Se-Fi Sanguine-Melancholic (linked to Fi-Se purely Melancholic) and Se-Ti is Sanguine-Choleric.

Why’s NeTi – S/P while SeTi – S/C? Being both Pe+Ti, I mean.

There are many things that confuse me but no battery left. Anyway, I love the tables.

In the meanwhile: what’s your blend?

Rickus
    Participant

Hello Ninth.

Yeah I am not actually not sure. I think the temperament blends don’t really work with cognitive function combinations and development levels I guess.

I guess everyone has a different result if you do those tests, though I don’t trust them. I personally feel like I agree with the energetics for the Pe, Ji, Je and Pi as temperaments though, so the question is what happens when you have the different types combining cognitive types. Anyway it seems like a futile mission to try it.

I just wanted to reconcile why Ne vs. Se have different traits if both are Sanguine. Like Se for example embodies the sensual aspects of the Sanguine temperament, but they also have a gravity and intensity to them which is not something I find in most descriptions of the Sanguine. Meanwhile Ne has levity and buoyancy yet they are abstract, which is the opposite of descriptions of the typical Sanguine temperament which is detail-oriented (The one on Fish Eaters).

So would you say it is better to disregard the four temperaments and just use the functions as temperaments in and of themselves maybe (like seeing the traits thereof as possible temperament traits).

Anyway my temperament is mostly Sanguine, though in the past I used to test as Melancholic when I went through my introvert stage haha. But I am quite sure I am a pure Sanguine.

Rickus
    Participant

I’ve also attempted to reconcile the zodiac signs with the cognitive functions (not based on birth chart, I’m cynical and don’t believe in that, its moreso based on zodiac sign archetypes) but its not so easy because many times the zodiac signs aren’t carbon copies of the four temperaments or the cognitive functions, which causes a huge confusion.

Rickus
    Participant

I’m glad you like the tables.

The first entry was kind of a flop, but the reason I put Ne-Ti as Sanguine-Phlegmatic had something to do with Ne-Si axis being more Sanguine-Phlegmatic, because I theorized that Si is more purely Phlegmatic than Ni. But when I looked at it, it didn’t make sense. So thats why I made a second entry where Ne-Ti is Sanguine-Choleric. But I guess it doesn’t make sense from a CT point of view. Its more like NT equals Choleric, EP equals Sanguine.

Ninth
    Participant
    • Type: TiSe
    • Development: l--l
    • Attitude: Directive

I don’t want to discourage your attempt at correlating the two, I think it’s a good thing. I was implicitly asking to know more about your reasonings behind the links you drew.
    The reason why I think it can’t be linear is that the 4T is rich of emotional attitudes, f.e. it can be easier with the enneatypes.

I guess everyone has a different result if you do those tests, though I don’t trust them.

What do you mean by “everyone has a different result”?

Anyway it seems like a futile mission to try it.

Nah. Why futile? 4T and CT types can overlap and I think it adds depth to a type once you’ve got the “full chart”.
    But, even to CT, same types with different dev levels (e.g.: Je I-I- vs Je II–) have different overall energetic profiles to them, and dev levels may change.
    When I was typed I— I think I was P/M (“the helper”), now I—I and I think I’m M/C (“the trainer”) – in spite of the test results – with some C traits so strong that my closest friend considered the possibility of me being 8-ennea-core.
    I’ve seen people (and ms) switch blends in periods during which context triggered one of the energetics more than the others (e.g. Pe-lead going from SC to PC). My C also raised together with a change in the B5 traits “+conscientiousness” and “-agreeableness”, but I think I don’t have enough Extraversion to make it my core temperament.

I just wanted to reconcile why Ne vs. Se have different traits if both are Sanguine.

The thing is: Ne and Se are both Pe; but Pe as “energetics” doesn’t translate to Sanguine, it’s just the best approximation because of some traits (extraversion, openness, disorganized, …), if I got it correctly. Further than that, things become complicated and superimposition becomes ambiguous.

Like Se for example embodies the sensual aspects of the Sanguine temperament, but they also have a gravity and intensity to them which is not something I find in most descriptions of the Sanguine. Meanwhile Ne has levity and buoyancy yet they are abstract, which is the opposite of descriptions of the typical Sanguine temperament which is detail-oriented (The one on Fish Eaters).

That’s why imo the more general correlation (Pe instead of Ne/Se) works better.
    What’s about Fish Eaters? I’m not much educated.

So would you say it is better to disregard the four temperaments and just use the functions as temperaments in and of themselves maybe (like seeing the traits thereof as possible temperament traits).

Not sure whether this is a question or an assertion. Sorry for the brainlagginess.

Its more like NT equals Choleric, EP equals Sanguine.

When you say “NT” and “EP” are you referring to CT temperaments ( link ) or types (e.g. TeNi, NeTi; NeTi, SeFi”)?

Rickus
    Participant

Hi Ninth

Alright I see what you mean when you are asking about the reasoning behind my correlations.

In terms of why I usually find temperament blend tests inaccurate is because different sites have different traits. I used to test as M/P but lately I’m Sanguine.

Yes you are probably right about the energetics of Pe being closely aligned to Sanguine for example.

I am asserting that I found this information about temperaments on Fish Eaters. It basically says Sanguines rely on their five senses and are extroverted, making them appear as Se, Cholerics rely on their reasoning and willpower, which may seem Je and even Te, Melancholics are withdrawn and rely on their feelings, which is probably Fi. The Phlegmatic one was unclear. So it seemed more generally like a Pi.

The thing is like I said before there are so many different descriptions. I think Sanguine and Choleric are easier for me to determine, since their descriptions ate consistent across websites. But Melancholic and Phlegmatic types confuse me a lot. Like some places say Phlegmatics are empathetic, while others say they are unemotional. Melancholics are neat and organized, but scatterbrained and awkward.

So this complicates it a bit, but I do still think this website describes the energetics and temperament correlations well. In terms of development as an SeFi l-l- i would probably be Sanguine with a Choleric development (linked to developed Te) then.

The part about whether i should disregard the temperaments is a question.

And the sanguine choleric as ENTP part is more about Intuition and Thinking types being Choleric secondarily (so Ni-Te, Ti-Ne, Ne-Ti, Te-Ni) while Je dominant types are dominant Choleric (Te and Fe doms).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Copyright 2012-2020 | CognitiveType.com
This website's articles, its reading methodology and practices are the intellectual property of J.E. Sandoval.
Animated GIFs, images and videos belong to their respective owners.