Stop Start and Stutterring: Ti or Te?

Home Page Forums The General Hall Stop Start and Stutterring: Ti or Te?

• artemisrain
    Participant
    • Type: NeFi
    • Development: l---
    • F Attitude: Unseelie

Hello fellow cognition buffs,

This is my first post, so let me know if you have any tips.

Now, why does the Stop-Start signal get associated with Ti only when it seems just as likely to be a signal for Te?

The parallels to Te’s rhythms are kind of obvious. And the reasoning that stop-starts are Ti because Ti is a less responsive function in contrast to their partnered Fe don’t really make sense to me. Why is Ti’s compass checking any less jarring than Te’s?

If Te is fast and “crass” (jeez, the connotation hurts on that one), then the flip to Fi compass checking would also be quite quick. Sort of an, “oh no, what will they think of me? Have I been too insensitive? I’d better measure my words as I go along here.” I can see stop-starts forming just as easily for Te, making this signal a bit more universal.

What do you guys think? Again, I’m new, so let me know if I’m missing some glaringly obvious info. 🙂

Cheers!

fayest42
    Participant
    • Type: FiNe
    • Development: ll--

Compass-checking is not associated with Te because that is something the Ji functions do. In fact Te has a signal that is almost the opposite of the stuttering signal called avalanching articulation. But maybe you’re saying that you would expect stop-starts and stuttering to happen when Te switches to compass-checking with Fi?

Momentum halting is a general Ji signal, so it is seen with both Ti and Fi. What makes momentum halting Ti-specific (and when it is called stop-start articulation) is when the halting is followed by a “warm push,” which comes from Fe because Fe movements have that warm velocity pattern.

As for the stuttering, I’m not really sure why Fi wouldn’t cause stuttering. Perhaps someone else has some ideas?

artemisrain
    Participant
    • Development: l---

[But maybe you’re saying that you would expect stop-starts and stuttering to happen when Te switches to compass-checking with Fi?]

Yes, this exactly.

Why is Stop-Start Ti specific if it’s seen in Fi as well? If the only difference is a warm push…why doesnt that fit for Fi as well…Why isn’t Fi warm? It seems like it could be as well. What would look different if it was because of Fi?

Here, have 8 million questions.

Alice
    Participant
    • Type: FiSe

Both of the F functions can come across as warm, but Fe has a particular kind of warmth that comes out in it’s articulation style. Specifically, this has to do with a ballistic velocity pattern and coordinated emphasis, as opposed to Te’s uncoordinated and non-ballistic style of communication.

Ti’s “stop-start articulation” signal is Fe’s articulation pattern being broken up by Ji momentum halting, implying Ti. It’s a novel enough signal that it’s distinguishable from the other J axis, and can thus be coorelated to the rest of the Ti signals to predict a Ti metabolism.

fayest42
    Participant
    • Type: FiNe

Stop-start articulation is Ti-specific because it includes the warm push, which is tied to Fe. Momentum halting is not Ti-specific though. You’ll find it among the Ji signals. I think the reason why Fe is warm and Fi is not (in terms of velocity pattern, not the standard meaning of the word “warm”) is because Fe is controlling its emotional expression in an attempt to influence the emotions of others. The Fe vultology article might be helpful to read: https://cognitivetype.com/fe-vultology/

Edit: Oh, actually, this snippet from the Ti vultology article might be even more helpful:
    “The articulation of Fe is continually being interrupted by these moments of suspension, while the articulation of Te-Fi is far less affected by moments of compass checking. The energy of Te-Fi never ventures to such extremes. Te, despite being a dispassionate process, is still nonetheless strongly invested through an objective connection to the world, and Fi, despite being a reactive process, is still emotionally involved in how the situation impacts it personally.

For Ti-Fe, both of these invested and involved energetic qualities are given to Fe, and none to Ti. The result, as we might expect, is an abrupt shift between being strongly expressive and suddenly wholly inexpressive.”

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by fayest42.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by fayest42.
    SierraTangoWhiskey
    Participant
    • Development: ll-l
    • F Attitude: Seelie

I’m NeFi (so I’ve got Fi/Te going for me) and if you listen to me sometimes I will pause or freeze between cascades of articulation.  Generally the reason that I pause is not because I’m checking in on my Fi, but rather because I’m queuing up the next section of my thought. Sure, I might be clarifying, but typically my speech is pre-rehearsed in my mind before I speak, so there may be a moment of “what was I going to say next?”

If you were to watch my eyes they would probably drift sideways (Pi recall) not withdraw inward (Ji clarification).

So, you may experience a person with Te exhibiting some sort of start-stop, but it’s not the abrupt check that Ji might show.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Copyright 2012-2020 | CognitiveType.com
This website's articles, its reading methodology and practices are the intellectual property of J.E. Sandoval.
Animaged GIFs, images and videos belong to their respective owners.