Quadra & Culture

Home Page Forums General Psychology Quadra & Culture

• Alice
    Participant
    • Type: FiSe
    • Development: ll--
    • F Attitude: Unseelie

I have seen this concept casually discussed extensively, but I’m not sure if we’ve had an official discussion about it before. What are people’s views about whole cultures or subcultures correlating to specific functions or quadras? Or decades within a culture correlating to specific quadras, like in Gulenko’s ‘quadral clock’ theory?

For example, I could casually observe that the United States has many Delta leaders in its government, and that historically, American ethics  have more or less stereotypically aligned with Delta conductor values of nostalgia, conservativism, and free-market economics. On the flip side, the US’s counterculture movements usually embrace Delta reviser values like environmentalism and surrealism.

Has anyone else thought up these kinds of coorelations? Obviously there are non-Delta Americans, so why do these kinds of schemas form? I find myself (and others) making these kinds of macro groupings all the time, even though I’m unsure if it’s even correct or ethical to do so.

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by Alice.
    Animal
    Participant
    • Type: SeFi
    • Development: lll-
    • F Attitude: Unseelie

Oh I come up with these correlations all the time! For instance:

Lord of the Rings

Alpha: Humans & Wizards

Beta: Elves

Gamma: Dwarves

Delta: Hobbits

Harry Potter

Alpha: Ravenclaw

Beta: Slytherin

Gamma: Gryffindor

Delta: Hufflepuff

And so forth. I do this in real life too…

CT is an Alpha culture because it reflects its leader and origins. It really stands out sometimes that CT handles forum conflicts a certain way which is different than how my forum handles it – and both have their up and down sides. We can adopt ideas from each other and try to hear people out who see things differently, but in the end the forums will always retain their own “flavor” unless major changes occur.

Rondo
    • Type: NeTi
    • Development: llll
    • F Attitude: Adaptive

I find myself (and others) making these kinds of macro groupings all the time, even though I’m unsure if it’s even correct or ethical to do so.

Mm. Generalized thinking along typological lines is something I used to engage in quite a bit, but the more I looked at the thoughts and tried to find where they were leading, the more I realized they were just leading me in circles, and often with a negative slant to them. This was primarily when I was younger and stereotyping based on MBTI, but I have definitely caught myself more than once trying to generalize with CT-based knowledge and finding the same problem: I simply didn’t know enough specifics to justify the generalizing, and so it was intellectually and ethically the wrong choice for me to continue doing it. I’m not saying that thinking in broader categories doesn’t have merit, because it can be extremely useful at times, just that for me it was often a hindrance to a more beneficial and substantive understanding of differing psychologies. The more I learn in any field, the more I realize how easily falsifiable my generalizations tend(ed) to be.

Having said all that, there are certain broad patterns that do appear pretty clearly to me, i.e. Japan having a culture dominated by the Fe-Ti axis. But even then it’s difficult to know precisely what to do with that information, besides just logging it and other likely aspects of Japanese culture that may have spiderwebbed from that foundation.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Copyright 2012-2020 | CognitiveType.com
This website's articles, its reading methodology and practices are the intellectual property of J.E. Sandoval.
Animaged GIFs, images and videos belong to their respective owners.