PJ Harvey typing

Home Forums Vultology & Learning Center PJ Harvey typing

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    recreationalwreck
    Participant
    • Type: SeFi
    • Development: l---
    • Attitude: Unseelie

Has anyone typed PJ Harvey? It's difficult for me to get an impression of her. She appears to have the features of a Ti/Fe user with higher Ti than Fe but in her music seems at times to have the qualia of an Fi user. Based on the two videos I watched her eye movements are also more consistent with Ne/Si than Ni/Se with heavy use of an introverted judging function. Again, however, she in her music and elsewhere has the qualia of an Se user. Irreverence, immersion, impudence, intensity, etc. The 4 I's? Many songs i.e. This Mess We're In, Working for the Man, and Good Fortune appear to be almost perfect mirrors of Se experience during any given moment in the city or on the street. The album cover for Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea also mirrors what things look like for a Se user, or me at least. But I'm sure that Se users are heavily involved in album artwork and music production so that may be a contributing factor. I would've typed her as TiSe, FiSe, SeTi, or SeFi based on her music and persona, but going off of dynamic facial expressions alone she's an ambiguous read that seems to fall in line with something like TiNe. High Ji, more likely to be Ti than Fi, and varied soft brushstroke eye movements rather than darting glances or toggles.

Anonymous
    Participant
    • Type: Unknown
    • Development:
    • Attitude: Unknown

Wow! PJ Harvey is my soulmate. I've listened to all her albums except for the last one. She is a real prize to be understood. I would love to see if anyone has any input on her.

Just as a forewarning, I'm a newbie, so I have much to learn. It would be great if someone more experienced chimes in.

So my two cents:

I'm surprised you say you see Ne/Si, I remember watching several of her interviews (before CT) and getting a very clear impression of the Ni/Se axis. I just looked at this video below and still see Se in her eyes. I see very little eye movements besides some pointed ones to the side, which seem indicative of Ni/Se axis. Her eyes are very attentive, looking outwards towards the interviewer - suggesting more of a preference for Se over Ni (?). And to me, the preseptal area seems taut, while the pretarsal area seems lax? It's a bit hard for me to tell apart the lax vs. taut preseptal & pretarsal area at this point.

I see wobbling lips/asymmetrical mouth movements, which seem indicative of the Fi/Te axis. Her body is very rigid, giving me a J lead feel. Most of her movements seem very contained with IJ pauses and eyes disengaging. Alongside quite a few meticulous hand movements throughout the interview, this makes me think she is an Fi-lead.

So my guess is FiSe. And this seems to correlate nicely with themes in her music. But I'm not sure if an artist's music should necessarily reflect on their type. In any case, the overall feel I get from her music is raw and honest emotional exploration combined with archetypal imagery. "Down by the Water," for example, seems to channel that strange, dark and murky psychological relationship between a mother and a daughter (perhaps a daughter reaching sexual maturity). Her quieter works are my favourite actually such as Is this Desire? and White Chalk. I like how she steps into the persona of a variety of strange, isolated, psychotic or tortured characters and tears through their psyche, bringing their mind and soul into a piquant, viscerally-felt form - e.g. Taut from Dance Hall at Louse Point.

Overall, her work feels like Fi, Se, and Ni working together - sometimes with much more Se emphasised, other times much more introverted (Fi and Ni). Her more sexual work seems like a phallic projection of pure and raw feminine power. Her more quiet works are like embodiments of ghosts that can be felt but not seen, begging to be revealed - the ones that are lurking in the attic, swept under the rug, but are nonetheless powerful.

She has a kind of remove at the same time - perhaps this makes it easier for her to step inside the... insides of so many different characters and then detach & reinvent herself with each new album. She doesn't do it half-way either.

Her long-time collaborator is John Parish, and you can see both of them in the interview below:

I've had suspicions he was INTJ before I came to this site, and looking at the video above, I believe I see Ni (unimpressed eyes, looking inward, scowling, raised outer edges of eyebrows) and Fi/Te axis  (asymmetrical mouth movements, 4 point pulling). So gamma type here (TeNi, NiTe, SeFi, or FiSe). I'd say TeNi or NiTe as I see a Je preference with head pushes and bear claw hands. It would be really interesting if he indeed were either of those types, as it would complement PJ's speculated FiSe type. Those two have inspired each other for years, making duo albums (Dance Hall at Louse Point & A Woman a Man Walked By) - with John Parish making the composition and song title first, and then passing it off to PJ to write the lyrics and melody on top of the "scaffold." While these albums are often grating and unappealing to most listeners, PJ finds them essential to break out of a creativity rut and explore new artistic territories.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by Anonymous.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by Anonymous.
    Anonymous
    Participant
    • Type: Unknown
    • Development:
    • Attitude: Unknown

OK wait, I'm going back to the videos again, and now I see Ti/Fe signals (with Ti in the lead). I agree with you she gives out mixed signals. I think the Ni/Se axis looks pretty consistent to me in both videos, but the judgment axis doesn't seem so.

She does have very slight asymmetry in mouth movements, but I don't really see 4-point pulling - looks more like 2. I see some gentle ballistic velocity gestures as well, but in another instance I see a light plateau velocity move. And the nasolabial area looks lax to me. Overall, she seems very removed.

As for her voice - it sounds faint and a bit breathy, and slightly wounded. So, Fi here, despite the aforementioned Ti/Fe signals.

Hmmm, the mixed signals fit with her ambiguous, retreating public persona. My speculation has been that she neutralises herself on purpose so her music will remain a mystery - but there's no way to prove that. Gotta just go by what's given.

...Anyways, to conclude, I'd amend my guess to TiSe first, with FiSe coming in second. Her work overall portrays the gamut of the human condition, ranging from the extremes of boiling passion to complete emotional disconnection. One could say the latter overlaps with Ti themes, but why can't a non-Ti type access these sorts of themes either? I would think a gifted artist would be able to act as a conduit for archetypes that exist beyond themselves - hence why the art itself may not be the most reliable indictor of the artist's type. Yet I guess one could say the same for Ti-types accessing FiSe-ish themes (i.e. raw, sexual, passionate) as well. 😉

I'll stop there and wait for others to chime in (if they wish). I feel a bit out of my element.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
A forum exploring the connection between Jungian typology and body mannerisms.

Social Media

© Copyright 2012-2021 Juan E. Sandoval - Use Policy
searchhomecommentsenvelopegraduation-hatbookearth linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram