[Pe I—] How do you relate to this profile?

Home Page Forums Ask a Demographic [Pe I—] How do you relate to this profile?

• Auburn
    Keymaster
    • Type: TiNe
    • Development: l--l
    • F Attitude: Adaptive

Hello guys!

Below is a first draft of the behavioral profile of the Pe l— type.

This profile is meant to apply to the NeFi l—, SeFi l—, NeTi l— and SeTi l—. Other development levels will have different writeups, as each function changes the inner experience. The final profile results will also weave in specific functions, according to what the type is, but for now this is just written from the point of view of the energetics. I’d really love to get feedback from our Pe l— members ( @urban , @puffs , @snja , @mrtm , @vvvavee , @riccardosansotta , @jakubchecinski and others). Please let me know what you think, and which parts sound correct and which ones don’t, thanks!

Pe I—

As a Pe l— you are an Explorer type – inescapably driven towards the proactive absorption of information. Your relationship to the world is mediated by an insatiable curiosity; a restless itch to peek into new things and experiment with a variety of experiences – whether they be deeply touching, entertaining, humorous or shocking. This proclivity towards immersive experiences can lead them to suck you in, loosening your grip on other matters until you finally find yourself in a different place and time without noticing how your investigative journey lead you there. But because of this, your mind is a mixture of hyper-attentive and inattentive at the same time. You exhibit an overwhelming indulgence towards ideas or things you presently find engaging, but just as much disregard for those things that lack engagement for you. This can cause problems with distraction and issues with keeping to a lifestyle that’s too predictable.

Your mind can be “a lot” to handle, and this can be both rewarding when it generates a seamless stream of inspirations and very exhausting when it leads to inner and outer chaos and disarray. In the worst cases, this can cause chronic troubles focusing on work or studies, a habit of disregarding protocols and getting into trouble due to impulsivity. At other times this can lead you to be incredibly prolific and creative, generating new material at a rapid, real-time rate. Depending on which form this takes, people may experience you as lively, animated and witty on the one hand, or childish, disruptive and imprudent on the other. But in either case, there is never a dull moment with you. While others may hold themselves back from reality, you plunge forward once you see a promising opportunity, and this can cause your presence to bring a contagious dynamism to those around you.

But this appetite for staying in motion, either literally by travelling or mentally by jumping across interests, can develop into a panicked or anxious need to do so. Problems may arise with staying satisfied with what you have or where you are now. The hunger for novelty develops into restlessness, stress and can be at odds with your own deeper goals, which may require years of temperance and gradual progress that quickly becomes suffocating and imprisoning. Interests and people may be picked up and dropped off quickly – breaking connections in the process. And in times of difficulty, you will be viscerally compelled to stay on the run by avoiding your own anxieties and fears – moving to the next thing as a way to distract or catch the fall – resulting in a personal hollowness accumulating in the background. But this may not always be acutely felt, and for the most part you are satisfied with the tradeoffs of being a free-spirited, unbound trailblazer.

However, behind your voyaging, or perhaps because of it, will lie an inner yearning to find or make a “home.” In your career, your passions and in love, you’ll struggle for a place to settle – somewhere that evokes absolute belonging – even though you may find it difficult to stumble upon any place that checks all the boxes and which would anchor you down forever.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Auburn.
    MrTambourineMan
    Participant
    • Type: NeTi
    • Development: l---
    • F Attitude: Directive

I can relate to much of this. One note I would make though is that the “home” or “stability” aspect has always been front and center for me in an ironic sort of way. I’m always looking for something to pin me down or to commit my life to, and I’ve been that way from a young age. It’s ironic because in doing so I  have actually been exploring very anxiously and have had a hard time committing to anything long-term. As soon as my life gets comfortable and predictable my mind goes looking for the next big transition, but I guess that’s what propels me forward. When it’s written out this way, there’s a pretty obvious contradiction in uprooting yourself to look for a place that makes you feel “at home”, but somehow I’ve never looked at it that way.

Final note, and I don’t know if this is more to do with the Ne-Si combo, but there’s a really strong “history” component with me. Like I’m always looking to connect the dots of my life backwards. I want to make all the pieces fit.

snja
    Participant
    • Type: SeFi
    • F Attitude: Seelie

The core message seems pretty accurate. Sometimes my restlesness kicks in pretty quickly in stagnant environments and if it’s bad I oftentimes have to make things more appealing for my Se to be able to stick to them/ feel entertained. This might mean for example changing locations multiple times during a study session to trick myself into thinking I’m being active an doing something fun while in reality I’m mostly sitting in front of my computer. Or during a quiet evening at home I can sometimes act very lively and bubbly just to tease a reaction out of my environment to entertain myself. Also the notion of ”making a home” applies to me. I can definately see myself in this description.

Auburn
    Keymaster

interesting! i’d really like to learn more about this search for “home”, as i don’t fully understand polar Pi yet (hence the shorter paragraph). so maybe…

• what would home (or making a home) look like to you?
    • what are some things you do, consciously or unconsciously, towards attaining it?
    • are there things you do to make that harder for yourself?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Auburn.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Auburn.
    urban
    Participant
    • Type: NeFi
    • F Attitude: Unseelie

This is such a well written and awesome profile! I’d say it’s pretty accurate and captures Pe in a comprehensive and fun way.

On the note of “dropping interests off quickly,” personally I stay on an interest for actually a long time as long as it stays interesting. My childhood had a lot of be getting overwhelmingly obsessed with stuff and then eventually moving on to another passion, and as I grow over the amount of time I stay on it gets longer. Typology for example, that’s basically the center of my thoughts and everything for almost 2 years. I will say that *within* that one interest I go through a lot of stuff, like communities and different variations like enneagram etc but the general interest has stayed p consistent for a long time. I hope that made sense lol

Generally this whole thing did resonate with me, especially about being viewed as imprudent and all of that. People give me feedback along those lines very very often and I’m so fascinated that vultology was able to pinpoint these traits so well

Animal
    Participant
    • Development: lll-

I know you didn’t ask me =] but just wanted to say, for whatever help it might be – you were definitely right that I started out with developed Te very early. This description has some of me in it, but it has never been me.. overall. Your discovery of development levels is really onto something.  I feel like I revert to I-I-rather than revert just to I— . I do relate to some of the energy and dynamism, but not the “home” stuff (which I hear in other Pe types for sure) nor the restlessness getting in the way of goals.

My home is Erosia and my goal is expressing Erosia. I’ve never felt a need to seek a home outside that. For years I wore a locket with the word “Erosia” inside it.  When I met Ivory I had taken it off one day and forgot to put it back on, which never used to happen as I would feel its absence. I took it as a sign that being with him was part of bringing Erosia to Earth, and thus replaced the locket.

Edit:

I also don’t care to devour new information – I actually find it very boring and unproductive to crowd my head with so many loose ends. I’m resistant to that much change distracting me from what matters most, and this is not a ‘Supposed to’ type of thing – it’s visceral. This is why even as a young child I found television utterly uninteresting and didn’t watch at all. Others would make fun of me for being ignorant about pop culture and I actually took pride in it, like “I don’t need to crowd my brain with this bullshit.”  Modern culture seemed very arbitrary to me until recently – I was only interested in the timeless and eternal principles that can be paralleled on my home planet. For instance, psychology, philosophy. At age 10 I was reading Hermann Hesse, Carlos Castenda and Les Misérables.  The first two are philosophical writers whose stories are about spiritual experiences.  Les Mis takes place during the French revolution, but it is treated more as a backdrop whilst the important focus is the psychology and relationships.  All of these themes could be paralleled anywhere, any time, and are not specific to the arbitrary confines of ‘today, here, now.’ So I read this stuff obsessively and did not venture outside of it much, since the rest of the information around me seemed too ‘incidental’ and therefore useless to my self-expression.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Animal.
    Auburn
    Keymaster

Yes, I’ve learned that some individuals have two functions fully present even at age ~5 or so, and both immediately become essential to personhood. I was not expecting this, but after hearing testimonies from Pe l-l- users like you and some other devs, it appears this really is possible — although not always the case.

I was originally hypothesizing that we all start off as l— and grow into functions in teens/etc, but it’s really great to have raw data on this. There’s still more to investigate but at least I think we’re on the right track now.

Shelley Lorraine
    Participant

I relate strongly to the “home” struggle as I already discussed in the discord chat, and I also think I’ve had Te quite a while… but I also feel like my Te isn’t manifesting quite the same as it has in others.

I’m also a bit confused… I thought @animal was lll- , not l-l- ?

Animal
    Participant

@shelley-lorraine
    I modulate down to I-I- but I never modulate down to I— . Or if I do it’s less often and less pervasive. That was what I meant. I was I-I- throughout my early life, up until I was about 18.  I got sick at 16 and developed Fi following the illness. This has been our theory so far based on baby pics & personality traits and it seems to be holding up, that was why I posted. I’m sure when Auburn writes a III- post, I may relate to it even more, but I still have many I-I- moments (modulating down).

@Ivory suspects he may have developed Se very early in his life, too. He was never focused and meticulous, always wanted to play, chaotic, wanted to escape etc. And sensitive to aesthetics, restless, and so on. @Auburn you seem to be onto something with this for realz =D

MrTambourineMan
    Participant
    • Type: NeTi
    • F Attitude: Directive

Replying to @Auburn:

what would home (or making a home) look like to you?
    what are some things you do, consciously or unconsciously, towards attaining it?
    are there things you do to make that harder for yourself?

So I would say I have a bit more of an abstract idea of “home”. I’m looking for a place (workplace, social setting, city, you name it) that makes sense to me and lines up with my values. I guess I just want to feel comfortable and a sense of belonging.

Consciously I think I try to create that by reaching out to people, including people, trying to organize events… Subconsciously I think that’s what I’m also after when I leave a setting/place where I no longer feel comfortable and go looking for a new social group, new job, new city…

I think I do sabotage myself sometimes. That feeling of being disconnected from people and places (i.e. not feeling at home) can actually make me abrasive and judgmental and defensive around others. Sometimes it also spirals into existential despair, in which case my motivation to do anything proactive just evaporates.

Tea
    Participant

@MrTamborineMan, I relate so much to your concept of home, and it’s always been a thing that’s been at the forefront of my mind as well. In my 20s, I thought often of my ranging and homing instincts. That was 20+ years as a polarized Pe lead.

Auburn
    Keymaster

I also want to offer a behind the scenes breakdown of each of these profiles, and how the energetics are interwoven together, roughly…

• Red = Ji
    • Blue = Pe
    • Green = Je
    • Gold = Pi

This is a rough approximation, as I attempted to weave in the energetic components seamlessly, and in the specific manner that is unique to this hierarchy, but I hope it offers some insight regarding the nature of the profile. Thanks!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Auburn.
    CB
    Participant

Sorry, long winded breakdown for the benefit of the TI lead(s)….

As a Pe l— you are an Explorer type – inescapably driven towards the proactive absorption of information. Your relationship to the world is mediated by an insatiable curiosity; a restless itch to peek into new things and experiment with a variety of experiences – whether they be deeply touching, entertaining, humorous or shocking.
    Yep yep yep….. I also experiment with things in order to solve problems though

This proclivity towards immersive experiences can lead them to suck you in, loosening your grip on other matters until you finally find yourself in a different place and time without noticing how your investigative journey lead you there.

Yep, I relate my mind to the Autoplay button on youtube….
    20 videos in, and the subject matter in no way relates to what it did initially…..

But because of this, your mind is a mixture of hyper-attentive and inattentive at the same time. You exhibit an overwhelming indulgence towards ideas or things you presently find engaging, but just as much disregard for those things that lack engagement for you. This can cause problems with distraction and issues with keeping to a lifestyle that’s too predictable.
    yep

Your mind can be “a lot” to handle, and this can be both rewarding when it generates a seamless stream of inspirations and very exhausting when it leads to inner and outer chaos and disarray. In the worst cases, this can cause chronic troubles focusing on work or studies, a habit of disregarding protocols and getting into trouble due to impulsivity.

Definitely caused me a lot of problems at uni…. I stupidly picked a memory based subject, where the overall grade was made of about 75% exam…. : / (though I had my reasons to pick it, which are useful in my life….just not in getting a good grade)
    As much as I sat there all day and tried my hardest to focus on committing that stuff to memory (how ever that works) My mind would drift to potential consequences/relative info, rather than the info itself… useful for course work/dissertation, but not for memorising….. I still got a 2:2, but ppl thought that I was lazy, when they saw my grades :////////

At other times this can lead you to be incredibly prolific and creative, generating new material at a rapid, real-time rate. Depending on which form this takes, people may experience you as lively, animated and witty on the one hand, or childish, disruptive and imprudent on the other.

Yep, but I do have to work in the normal world of serious business, and know how to behave when I need to….but I can’t help being silly sometimes!

But in either case, there is never a dull moment with you. While others may hold themselves back from reality, you plunge forward once you see a promising opportunity, and this can cause your presence to bring a contagious dynamism to those around you.

Mayyybe?..

But this appetite for staying in motion, either literally by travelling or mentally by jumping across interests, can develop into a panicked or anxious need to do so. Problems may arise with staying satisfied with what you have or where you are now. The hunger for novelty develops into restlessness, stress and can be at odds with your own deeper goals, which may require years of temperance and gradual progress that quickly becomes suffocating and imprisoning.

yep yep yep… I’m lucky that I temp/freelance, so I’m about on job 50/60 something…. and place of residence = maybe 10…. 

Interests and people may be picked up and dropped off quickly – breaking connections in the process. And in times of difficulty, you will be viscerally compelled to stay on the run by avoiding your own anxieties and fears – moving to the next thing as a way to distract or catch the fall – resulting in a personal hollowness accumulating in the background.

Interests can change, or be put on hold, but I can also stick with an interest for a verrry long time….
    I’m pretty loyal to people, but I don’t know how some ppl saw that during school times, as I’m not one to think in terms of  rigidly sticking to ‘groups’… I wanted to be friendly with everyone, and hang out with different people at different times…. In terms of a relationship though, I’m ultra loyal…..

But this may not always be acutely felt, and for the most part you are satisfied with the tradeoffs of being a free-spirited, unbound trailblazer.

Yeah, I’ve got no complaints yet….

However, behind your voyaging, or perhaps because of it, will lie an inner yearning to find or make a “home.” In your career, your passions and in love, you’ll struggle for a place to settle – somewhere that evokes absolute belonging – even though you may find it difficult to stumble upon any place that checks all the boxes and which would anchor you down forever.

^^^Hopefully this happens!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Copyright 2012-2020 | CognitiveType.com
This website's articles, its reading methodology and practices are the intellectual property of J.E. Sandoval.
Animaged GIFs, images and videos belong to their respective owners.