Ni and the Fulcrum of Perspetive

Home Forums Model 1 Discussions Ni and the Fulcrum of Perspetive

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Faeruss
    Participant
    • Type: FeNi
    • Development: llll
    • Attitude: Directive

I have come to think that a characteristic operation of the Ni psyche is that of a movement away from the object of study to stand from a proper and just vantage point, while recognising it to be a perspective still, interconnected and enmeshed in a fractal-like web of assumptions, and perspectives ---among which "facts" and the "senses" are just a few amongst many.

I bring to your attention a few examples.

Jung said:

We always require an outside point to stand on, in order to apply the lever of criticism. This is especially so in psychology, where by the nature of the material we are much more subjectively involved than in any other science. How, for example, can we become conscious of national peculiarities if we have never had the opportunity to regard our own nation from outside? Regarding it from outside means regarding it from the standpoint of another nation. To do so, we must acquire sufficient knowledge of the foreign collective psyche, and in the course of this process of assimilation we encounter all those incompatibilities which constitute the national bias and the national peculiarity. Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves. I understand England only when I see where I, as a Swiss, do not fit in. I understand Europe, our greatest problem, only when I see where I as a European do not fit into the world. Through my acquaintance with many Americans, and my trips to and in America, I have obtained an enormous amount of insight into the European character; it has always seemed to me that there can be nothing more useful for a European than some time or another to look out at Europe from the top of a skyscraper. When I contemplated for the first time the European spectacle from the Sahara, surrounded by a civilization which has more or less the same relationship to ours as Roman antiquity has to modem times, I became aware of how completely, even in America, I was still caught up and imprisoned in the cultural consciousness of the white man. The desire then grew in me to carry the historical com- parisons still farther by descending to a still lower cultural level.

Heidegger said:

The desire to philosophize from the standpoint of standpointlessness, as a purportedly genuine and superior objectivity, is either childish, or, as is usually the case, disingenuous.

This can be tied to the ideas of narrativism and historisation that have been associated with the operation of Pi. With these ever expanding perspectives and fulcrums of consciousness, there comes a story and a history of how our worldview has been constructed by a series of such movements.

That being said, Si can likely do something similar, likely with important differences too, but I speak as an Ni user.

I would be interested to hear what people think about this matter.

Faeruss
    Participant
    • Type: FeNi
    • Development: llll

As a follow up, I will say I have noticed in many Ti-leads a lack of recognition that they are applying their criticism from a particular fulcrum-lever. This is likely due to the perception that a Ti-lead is operating from a timeless and universal place of pure self-evident axioms.

GreenCoyote
    Participant
    • Type: SeTi
    • Development: lll-
    • Attitude: Adaptive

Carl Jung is a very smart man. I have unlocked many of my abilities because of his writings.
    I think i am pretty bad at taking this outside perspective to see into other perspectives. Ti to me more or less represents a way of viewing things without too much emotional attachment. Emotional attachment comes in the honeymoon phase of all my relationships. Sometimes i cant even help the attraction. Its just what it is. But Ti has helped me remain more aloof and distant. Gaining a small bit of perspective. I also find that another perspective (shared by another person) helps me gain clarity on whomever i am attracted to since my idealized version of them is in many ways subjective and skewed. A little shit talking about someone who has disappointed me helps me realize they are not as magical or wonderful as i imagined them to be. In some cases i even realized this person was harming me and i didn't see it.
    Even though i am applying this to personal relationships i think it can be applied more broadly to cultures and civilizations. Sometimes you just need a couple extra opinions on the matter to get clarity. I really value perspective shifting as a learning tool. I deeply value slanderous statements as a way to heal from disappointments that have hurt me deeply. Currently i don't have many of those right now but if ever the time comes i have a special friend that knows just how shitty people are and will always let me know about it when i am disappointed by them. If i can demonize it i can heal from it. Maybe this plays into the beta “us vs them” mentality but i see it from a place of healing and not warfare. Betas are way more sensitive than descriptions lead us to believe. There is a lot of suffering through life that we experience and perspective shifting really has the ability to heal those wounds.
    I believe this same method can be used to achieve what carl jung and you are talking about, on a broader cultural scale as well. Maybe focusing on positive perspective shifting.

EpicEntity
    Participant
    • Type: SeTi
    • Development: l--l

Jung said
    "...How, for example, can we become conscious of national peculiarities if we have never had the opportunity to regard our own nation from outside?..."

Heidegger said:
    "The desire to philosophize from the standpoint of standpointlessness, as a purportedly genuine and superior objectivity, is either childish, or, as is usually the case, disingenuous."

I think I might have stumbled upon a state of being that is sits before any selection of a perspective. It sounds like basic present or state fixing. I have thought many times that I had reach the ideal state of being where I was okay no matter what. I could defeat the ego's ability to take every anti-ego tactic and turn them all into an anti-anti-ego tactic thereby neutralizing any expected payouts of such tactics. Until I started staying with any moment/experience/state of being without changing or readjusting my state as to fix was assumed to be broken. What happens is that the state make it's own adjustments as it go's back and forth from depression, peacefulness, playfulness and euphoria. Seeing as one most be in some state before any perspective can be formed; I'd say any state of being that is prolonged is the fulcrum of perspective for individual matters. The thing is this fulcrum is hardly something that can used to build off of as it seems to be entirely recreational and self guided just like basic presents most people learn from Yoga class. Lastly, it doesn't reach the part(s) of the brain responsible for philosophizing so Heidegger still has a point.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
A forum exploring the connection between Jungian typology and body mannerisms.

Social Media

© Copyright 2012-2021 Juan E. Sandoval - Use Policy
searchhomecommentsenvelopegraduation-hatbookearth linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram