Intellectual Narcissism

Home Forums Model 1 Discussions Intellectual Narcissism

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Supah Protist
    Participant
    • Type: SeTi
    • Development: ll-l
    • Attitude: Directive

I have jokingly and perhaps not so jokingly been referred to as an intellectual narcissist, due to my heavy interest in understanding myself and not others and I'm curious as to whether or not this characteristic maps onto any patterns in CT. This post is similar to one I made a few months back, but while that post focused on understanding Ji's connection to Identity, this one aims to develop a contrast between an intellectual focus on the inner world as opposed to the outer world.
    I've been considering applying to graduate school programs in psychology, and I keep going back and forth on it. I have an interest in psychology, but only as a tool for self knowledge. I don't think this is a good reason to go to graduate school, however, I do think it is a legitimate motivation. Essentially, I have a scientific temperament, but instead of the "libido" being turned onto outer objects and or subjects, it is turned onto inner objects and THE subject. At this point in my life, I'm more interested in understanding myself than I am in understanding the world around me.
    Natural science studies objects, but is there actually a scientific study of individual subjects? Not people in general, not ethnic groups, but is there a way to scientifically study "Larry" or "Jennifer"? I don't think there is, which is problematic for me, given that my primary preoccupation in life seems to be understanding a single individual (me).
    My question is as follows. Does an interest in understanding the inner world or formation of a self-concept as opposed to an interest in understanding the outer world or formation of a world-concept map onto any patterns that have been observed in CT?
    I know identity has been mapped onto Ji, but I'm still unclear on the nature of identity that Ji creates. Does Ji produce the ideal self or the actual self? I have a hard time connecting the Ji goal of alignment to the emergent Ji property of creating a self-concept.
    Anyway, what are your thoughts on having an intellectual focus on the self as opposed to the other?

Tea
    Participant
    • Type: NeFi
    • Development: l--l
    • Attitude: Seelie

It's curious that you said "At this point in my life." Do you think this coincides with Ji development or fixation, or perhaps, being young, it's a normal season?
    (Edit: I realize I assumed you're young.)

Supah Protist
    Participant

@teatime I'd map it onto Ji development before I would map it onto being young. Being this self reflective is a relatively new development for me that started a few years ago when I first started learning about typology. I'm still young though (24) so this self reflective activity may subside in due time.

EpicEntity
    Participant

@supah protist I am curious to know if the results within this link helps you or anyone else find something of value.
    https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfJG_7HwVec9NQIoaGRQhVPbTnF7kdDjVztynTklwywWyp8tg/viewanalytics
    As much as I'd like to give credit to the feedback providers I don't think the reveal of discord names are a great idea.

Spoiler

"Host brushed me off and then sexually harrassed me. Asked me to share my girlfriend who's next to me at this given moment. She's an ENFP and not pleased at all. She's utterly creeped out and I really don't wanna bother with this anymore, which is why I am going to leave the server and block the host. He's already pissing me off. Goodbye."
    I actually feel guilt, but don't think I should be guilty. I kicked her of the game session with too much kindness. She didn't run the software to see if she could participate. Everyone else was okay and ready. After the session we chat about me feeling so sorry about going on without her. Next, I misinterpretationaly start sexting her on discords DM, which seems to allow for free speech to a great extent. For harassment to be official the advancer must know his/her advances are no longer wanted. The only way this can happen is if you block direct communication and it doesn't work. Finally as a non-conformist I practice limited affiliation with people whom are unwilling to share their sexual/emotional companions.

[collapse]

Supah Protist
    Participant

@epicentity not sure I understand the context of what you shared.

EpicEntity
    Participant

I'm I blocked
    Edit: I'm back... I think I'll be careful about my quotations.

Discord
    Participant
    • Type: Unknown
    • Development:
    • Attitude: Unknown

@epicentity oh no discord.

EpicEntity
    Participant

@supah protist In our vchat I mentioned that I hosted a game session with MBTI enthusiast. We tried to see if we could identify our functions operating in a virtual environment. Afterwards I sent out feedback forms to the participants.
    They the form they filled out look like this https://forms.gle/e6aeVQ5toL5g6qpF8.

I have to post multiples for each link

I

I

I

I

Y

EpicEntity
    Participant

The place we had our text chat in was https://discord.gg/
    We played mini games on the Roblox platform

EpicEntity
    Participant

GreenCoyote
    Participant
    • Development: lll-
    • Attitude: Adaptive

I went through the same reflective process when i was around that age and studying typology. For me, the focus on understanding the self is in a way, a way to understand others. Because our self is a part of the collective and using my “self” as a center point i am able to branch off of it to grasp other people, using my interactions with them and feelings about them as a map to discover how everything is connected in the relationship spectrum. Starts with Ti and then turns to Fe.
    hope this makes sense. Been there tho and its not entirely selfish because in the end you will begin to extend that self understanding outward onto others too.

EpicEntity
    Participant

I have been slowly forming a new concept in my mind. The Anatomy of a conscious being. So we already have the anatomy of a human, animal or plant being. The required networks of bone, blood, muscle, and nerve. But what about the required functions of pure conscious? What if people started studying and taking advantaged of conscious behavior instead of human behavior? What if focusing on the structured properties of consciousness is the answer to a brain with even more layers, more capabilities, and more undesirable drawbacks?
    I mainly think about it this way... I am under an influence. I think about exactly what is making me sluggish. I recall that I go about my day using aspects of my brain that animals cannot access. But what if I used the aspects that are close to what an animal would use. So I sort of stop trying to use as much processing power as I normally would. And low and behold I feel totally sober. I just can't do advance thought implementations.
    In a nutshell it seem like the above is a good starting point empirical study. So far for the anatomy of pure conscious; the core of it seem to be, presence of the now and then expands into normal thought processes at the expense of more resources.

Cedar
    Participant
    • Type: FiNe
    • Development: lll-
    • Attitude: Seelie

@supahprotist Grad school is expensive, as I'm sure you know. Student loans are often crippling and almost always stressful. I'm 42 years old and have seen people go through life phases and I agree that you should study yourself like @greencoyote said. What if you developed yourself first (not the Development levels, but your humanity) and see how you feel. Our brains aren't completely formed until our mid-twenties and I didn't feel the full potential of my mind until my early 30's. I'm not sure of your circumstances, but if you can give yourself a little more time your path may become clear. If you like the psychology, maybe go into research since having psychologists that don't passionately want to sift through your life is awkward, well more awkward 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
A forum exploring the connection between Jungian typology and body mannerisms.

Social Media

© Copyright 2012-2021 Juan E. Sandoval - Use Policy
searchhomecommentsenvelopegraduation-hatbookearth linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram