How Does your Lead Function Manifest in your Personality?

Home Page Forums Cognitive Functions How Does your Lead Function Manifest in your Personality?

• Animal
    Participant
    • Type: SeFi
    • Development: lll-
    • Attitude: Unseelie

We’ve had a lot of threads about the technical underpinnings of functions, but I’m after something different here; something closer to these descriptions:

cognitivetype.com/8-functions/

cognitivetype.com/arcane-series/

1) Do the themes associated with your first function resonate with your personality and role in the world?  How does that function manifest, and which themes of the descriptions are ‘not you?’
    2) Do other people see you in the themes associated with your first function?  Have you received feedback about these qualities from others?
    3) Is there another function theme – aside from that of your first function – that resonates more with your personality and role in the world? If so, how does it manifest?
    4) Is there a certain “shade” of your type that you match?  If so, which one and why?
    5) How does your personality and role in the world compare to the other people in your type category?  (Note: this comparison works best if you find people with a similar profession or set of interests.)

To be clear on why I phrased things as ‘role in the world,’ and why the second question is important:
    I’m not asking which description you like or “relate to” in some abstract way. I’m looking for what actually manifests in your real life.  For instance, I ‘relate’ to Ni because I’m Ni ego, and I’m always seeking those connections, and the topics in my novels look very similar to the Ni description; but I don’t think other people in my life would describe me in those terms.

If you step back from how you “want to be” and how you see your ideal self in your dreams, and evaluate how you have actually been and how others respond to you — then how would you answer these questions?

Thanks a bunch!

Note:  This thread has been moved from its original place on the old forum, here:
    https://cognitivetype.boards.net/thread/2161/lead-function-manifest-personality

If anyone wants to move their answers over, feel free!

Animal
    Participant

1) Do the themes associated with your first function resonate with your personality and role in the world? How does that function manifest, and which themes of the descriptions are ‘not you?’

• Heightened Focus: Mostly, although there’s still a sentiment here that is off.  For example: “Even if the Se user has multiple interests- which they inescapably do – whenever they are immersed in the subject at hand it is with an acute intrigue.”  I don’t have “multiple interests” per se. I have a few obsessive interests that I go deeper and deeper into throughout my entire life.  All the other interests I take on are attached to that interest. For instance: music, photography, video, writing and typology are all interests related to the same ‘Erosia’ world that I channel as a main focus. My sense of purpose is to bring Erosia to Earth and all of these very few, but very deep, interests serve that purpose.  So yes I agree with heightened focus on what I’m doing, but not the idea that I’m doing tons of different things.
    • Flow and Improvisation: Yes! I relate to being in the zone and in the flow.  That’s why I say I am a vessel through which passion emerges, and my life’s purpose is to polish the vessel, meaning – to practice skills so that when the moment of passion arises, I am equipped to channel whatever strikes me from the aether, and create a pure artistic mirror of it.  There’s this idea that the cosmos channels itself through me in the moment. This is also why I took well to the stage. That said, I absolutely suck at dancing and I’m physically ungraceful.  I have excellent balance and flow with my body but I don’t look anything like a dancer or a delicate flower.
    • Boredom & Restlessness: No. I’ve never been bored in my life; can’t even imagine what that feels like. Lock me in a white room all day and I’ll tell myself a story, or just shut off my mind and sit meditatively. These are both things I do at night when I can’t sleep, and have done even as a kid.  A lot of the time I’m more interested in what’s going on internally than in the environment around me.  That said, I have relentless insomnia, and a never ending supply of energy. But I channel it toward goals, interests, projects; and when I can’t, I’m fine just being in my mind.  Even when I couldn’t walk correctly for many months, or couldn’t move about on my own, I didn’t get bored.
    • Edginess & Stunts: No, although I’ve pulled off some pretty intense feats in the name of art (ie climbing something to get a good photograph, crossing rocky streams barefoot with expensive outfits and instruments on my back for video shoots).  But I don’t care for stunts or sports.
    • Persistence Effect: Yes.  I’m oversensitive to unwanted stimuli and I craft my environment just so.
    • Ergonomics & Aesthetics: Yes, but the description is off.  I care a lot about aesthetics and how things feel. But I don’t give a fuck about trends at all. I see my body as a canvas through which to express my inner self, my themes, my feelings. I have a whole language of color, texture and shapes that I express through my wardrobe, so trends are a non-issue – I literally don’t even notice them.  But my own expressive aesthetic is central to my life; life is art.
    • Sensual Energy: Yes, but the description is off.  I have sensual and sexual energy; I’m told I exude this. During my darkest hour I was known as a heartbreaker, huntress, conquerer.  But I lure people into my private dungeon of intensity, and most of it is comprised of novelistic stories and off-world discussion.  When I draw people in, I’m bringing them to Erosia – my music, art, meaning upon meaning, my code of colors, my home planet and all its characters – and I am exploring theirs. The last decade brought interest in typology which gives me a language to share with people so that not everyone I associate with has to speak ‘art.’  The reason this doesn’t match the description is that even at my worst when I was traumatized, I didn’t care for one night stands, cavorting with strangers, or sensual experience for its own sake. It was more about the deep lure, the dive into each other’s depths. Even for lovers I wasn’t committed to, there was an interpersonal dance in each other’s inner world.  I do this even with friends that I’m getting to know, or anyone that interests me. I’m not interested in just ‘experiencing the moment;’ I want to dive as deep as I can into each other’s past, future dreams, and psyche.
    • Addiction: Only at my worst traumatized time.  After losing everything to illness, I got into drugs, though I still had more moderation than most of my friends. I’ve never smoked a cigarette, only smoked pot for 3 months, only drank for 2-3 years. My biggest interest was LSD because I used it alone for spiritual exploration, but I was not interested in just getting fucked up and going to parties, even at my wildest. The addiction was my inner world, and penetrating my own psyche. My outer-world vice is romance, sex, beautiful men (though always obsessing over one of them for a long period of time; not strangers).
    • Delinquency: No. I mean, I was often called a rebel, but I wasn’t rebelling against anything; I was just doing exactly what I wanted to do. And I don’t feel ‘deprived of sensory stimulus’ etc. This is very much not me. Not interested in money, poverty, greed and all that stuff. My vice is seduction, arts, inner intensity.  When I couldn’t walk due to illness I wasn’t thinking about experiences I missed out on; rather, I wanted to move forward with my personal visions.
    • Trickster Myth: Hmm. When looking at this straight forwardly, I don’t go around disrupting people and causing them to face themselves Tyler Durden style.  However, I tend to transform the world of the people I date, the communities I enter. I have transformative, death/rebirth energy.  I made many collages and people told me they had Kali energy before I knew who she was; indeed they were right. There are always two opposite energies clashing against each other, transforming each other.

• Trickster Myth, continued: “The arrival of the trickster is simultaneously cause for deep concern, as well as an opportunity for new life and fertility. ”  “For every virtue he possesses, he also carries a vice.”  “Often taking the form of a spirit, god, half-animal or man/woman, it plays tricks on others and does not recognize the rules of society.”   This is very true; I call myself Animal for a reason. I refuse to be civilized. I’m respectful and ethical, but I march to my own drum.
    • Aphorditic: Yes.  In a central, life-long way, I embody the Anima.

• Vulgarity: Sort of.  My personality can be “too much” and forthcoming and “say it like it is” in ways that offend others or seem crass & blunt; but I’m not particularly into mooning people or doing gross things. This would interfere with my sex appeal and my aesthetic sensibilities.  That said, my art itself can be… challenging.  For others. 😉  The themes that seem to push people’s buttons the most are the ones that come so naturally to me, I don’t think twice about them.

2) Do other people see you in the themes associated with your first function? Have you received feedback about these qualities from others?

Probably not. If most people in my life would read the function descriptions, they would not pick out Se for me, but rather, Fi.

The Se myth may match people’s perception to some degree.  I’m blunt, forthcoming, challenging, full of vibrancy.  Also, people often think I’m less intellectually capable than I actually am.  Like it says in the myth, I can come off candid and clumsy at first. But then as people get to know me and see what I’m capable of producing, they realize my prowess. Although I can talk a lot, I shine when it comes to “showing” rather than “telling.”   People can read me as too intense; to them this might seem ‘vulgar’ although I don’t do rebellious things for the sake of it (like flipping off the man, graffiti and mooning).  So the myth seems fairly consistent with others’ perception of me. The rest, less so; as I pointed out, I doubt most people would see me as an over-indulgent sensualist. I don’t even wear high heels or makeup; I want to be natural and able to fight at any time, decorated to tell my inner story on the canvas that is my body. But more than that, I have a pressing, life-long need to explore and express my inner world.

Quirky Artist is the first way most people would describe me. In two separate irl social groups I was called “Art” instead of my name; many years apart. I am often told I have integrity and I’m authentic, and although someone could spin that as being ‘vulgar,’ I think they were talking about my emotional honesty and candor about my inner self.

My father once told me: There are two types of musicians. One is performers, and the other is the type that unveils their inner world and allows the audience to watch.  He then said: “I would be the first, you would be the second.”  He’s right – I’m not a performer per se; I’m not paying attention to the audience but rather allowing their energy to help fuel the channel between the music, my heart and the cosmos.

People tend to see me as artsy, alien and weird, rather than worldly. My parents used to yell, “Earth to Erica!” because I was off on my own planet.  They make fun of me for being alien, obsessively perfectionistic about my projects, and ‘out of touch with the world’ since I don’t watch tv or keep up with the times.  Nobody would call me trendy, gluttonously indulgent or financially greedy.  People don’t call me to have random fun; they call me to have deep talks and pursue art. In fact, people tell me things like, “You don’t have to feel obligated to come to my bachelorette party; I know how much you hate that stuff.”

That said, people also tend to assume I’m strong and can handle myself.  I have had men try to save my ‘soul,’ but nobody tries to help me out with worldly things. I give off an impression that I’m competent at ‘doing.’  People are more likely to correct me and try to help me out when it comes to intellectual categorizing – not that anyone ever thinks I’m stupid, but just that I can splat out a bunch of thoughts that aren’t particularly organized, and people might feel I’m missing details (which can be more Pe than Ji) — there’s a spontaneous, “hit or miss” quality. There is also something challenging about me once I get going, a death-rebirth energy – which may indeed be more “Ver” than “Edin.”

3) Is there another function theme – aside from that of your first function – that resonates more with your personality and role in the world? If so, how does it manifest?

Everything from the Fi description is point-blank stated on my website, even before I came here. http://www.ErosianExile.com – none of this needs to be explained; it’s right there.

• Seeking the Truth to Life: On my website I refer to being a vessel through which passion and truth emerge, a channel for the cosmos, delving into myself to find the core, etc. This is an old quote, which I put on the first page due to its centrality:   “On a deeper level, I live to expose my true self through my work. I feel I’m a vessel through which songs and stories emerge. The content serves as a mirror. It exposes parts of myself that are buried deep within my subconscious, and which might otherwise remain unnoticed. In sharing my work, I hope to function as a mirror for others. What success means, to me, is knowing that my fight to sing on my album, despite speaking in a whisper, has inspired someone else to create her own artwork. Success is hearing someone quote my lyrics or reference my stories because it expresses something SHE is feeling. I want people to see themselves in my work, rather than merely seeing “me.” I want to touch on something universal. And, through bearing my own soul, I hope to inspire others to express themselves honestly, and to pursue their dreams against all odds.” -Erica Xenne, 2012
    • Attunement & Purification: I spend most of my time focusing inward and expressing what I find as authentically and purely as possible. My art can appear idiosyncratic to others, but to me, I’ve blocked out the noise of the modern world and delivered art that is aligned directly with the cosmos. I don’t watch tv, don’t play video games, don’t research other people’s takes on many things; because I want my mind to be a clean, direct channel for what sentiments are coming from the aether, and not to tarnish it with outside noise. I have been like this since I was very little, and it lines up with the avant guard artist and revisor tendencies ascribed to FiSe.
    • Permeability: I feel others’ emotions as my own. This is part of why it’s easier to hang out online; I am not constantly bombarded with the full emotional palate of those around me. I speculate that the reason I’m so into 9s is because they don’t bombard me as much with their inner states; instead, they merge with mine as well, so we find more balance between us.
    • Emotional Palate: I literally have a palate of colors to match each emotion, sense of being, current state, transformation, manifestation… I have a world of symbols, colors and shapes based on emotion and inner experience… my rooms, outfits, art and more reflect this.
    • Discovery of Inner Essence: This is a summary of my whole life. I don’t even know how to rephrase it. Just check the first page of my website and my forum name, “Animal.”
    • Idiosyncrasy & Self-Expression: Again, see the website. It starts with this quote:

• Hypersensitivity & Overwhelm: An incredibly familiar topic; in fact, both of my most recent novels start out with a character being overwhelmed by the noise around her, the empty voices, the sensory cavalcade of undead.. etc.   The description says: “They will wear their bleeding heart in open display, emanating a private sorrow that also saturates their environment.”  This is the deepest theme in me: I feel exposed, naked.  As I said on my twitter, a good summary:

Erica Xenne @ericaxenne 9 Nov 2012
    Wearing my heart on my sleeve would be an improvement. I don’t even have a sleeve. Sometimes I don’t have skin. Just bare, naked compassion.

• Alexithymia & Dissociation: This reminds me of my old video, complaining about the lifelessness in fake “art” and pretentious upscale schools pretending that modern art actually has soul, etc. I refer to other humans as ‘undead’ – and also, my past self.

There was a time when I was a vampire, undead and stripped of humanity. Some of this is laid out in my old musings on my website. Here is one example, regarding animalism..
    http://ericaxenne.com/2014/01/animalism/

And lots of stuff like this:

• Myth: Edin, the Fairy, the Witch.  Does this not speak for itself?

4) Is there a certain “shade” of your type that you match? If so, which one and why?

I would fit the archetype of the ‘avant guard artist,’ ascribed to FiSe, but none of the shades currently ascribed to SeFi.  Gypsy comes closest – as I always dreamed of living in a mobile home – but that’s a pipe dream due to my illness. The way I have actually lived is as an artist, and I could not be another way if I tried.  I wrote my first two 400 page books between ages 11-12, and now I’m working on my very extensive fantasy series.  I had an early music career, then lost my voice at 16 to an illness, but still released an original concept album singing through my whisper.  I’ve written three full music albums, but so far only recorded one for illness reasons.  I’ve filled up hundreds of diaries, I’ve created my own aesthetic outfits; I’ve decorated my house to match my color scheme and enrich the purposes I use the rooms for… etc. My life is art.

Throughout my ventures into music, people have compared me to Tori Amos and Kate Bush (physically, musically and artistically); and my engineer compared me to Michael Jackson, who he worked with directly, because of how picky I was about each sound having to have meaning in the story I was telling, and not giving up until it resonated perfectly.  I am not particularly taken with Kate Bush or Michael Jackson and I have criticisms of Tori as well.. but objectively I can see why others compare me to them.

My style is indeed idiosyncratic, with its whole inner world story  and code-within-codes. Someone has to learn the language of my home planet Erosia to understand even the outermost layers of my inner world that I’m revealing.

The contents of my website: http://www.ErosianExile.com – barely reveal the tip of the iceburg when it comes to my huge body of work that has piled up all my life. And it’s clear based on this alone, why I would relate to this shade. My website is not some offhanded side project; it’s an attempt to organize the central concepts of my entire life into something manageable. Music, videos, poems, prose, musings, photos, artistic mission, alter-egos, expression, vision. This is what I care about and what I exude. This is me.

5) How does your personality and role in the world compare to the other people in your type category? (Note: this comparison works best if you find people with a similar profession or set of interests.)

Much like some of the SeFi’s, I possess a seemingly endless supply of energy (for my interests, not people), and I’m not particularly slow or receding even if I’m shy. When it comes to energetics, I am slam dunk SeFi — my expressions and gestures match most of the people in this category. But my personality, topics I talk about, and interests – is another story.

The other SeFi’s on this site, for the most part, are worldly and sensual just like the Se description. Compared to me, most are are less idiosyncratic, internal-emotion focused or building ‘castles’ out of their inner world.  The topics they talk about are worldly, focused on the now, on what’s happening “out there,” etc. There aren’t long-winded stories about all the connections in their inner world, like in my videos.

I did see a few other quirky artists in the database, but Lorde for one seems really invested in what other girls are wearing and what other people are doing, whereas I’m much more inner-focused and blocking out the noise outside, staying true to my message. My art is between me and the cosmos; not “women who look like models.”  Sia talks about her LGBT interests and how she’s living her life, doesn’t venture into her personal off-world planet.  Jack Black’s music is more punky and accessible, with a lot of punch, and he ‘performs for the audience’ rather than ‘sinking into himself and allowing them to watch,’ as I do.  Also, he doesn’t have nearly as much ‘internal stuff’ to say about his work. It just speaks for itself.  I want my art to speak for itself too, but when asked, I have worlds upon worlds, meanings upon meanings, characters upon characters….  all in my internal world of Erosia.  And I haven’t seen another SeFi like this.

So this is confusing to me, that there’s a group of artists I fit in with as a person (FiSe) and who I’ve been compared to by other people all my life; yet my type does not place me in their group. Meanwhile I don’t quite fit my group as a person, even if I fit the signals.  Aside from the mental focus being different moment to moment on video, my art also clearly belongs next to Tori Amos, Kate Bush, Bjork – as people keep on telling me throughout my many years doing music.

Here, there are three SeFi artists from the collection on this site: Lorde, Jack Black, Sia. You can see they are all talking about real world things, this and that “out there,” whereas in my unrehearsed videos I venture deep into long internal explanations of my personal world and view on things.

[Note: it is also hard for me to picture any of these people writing 400 or 800 page novels, which I have been doing since I was 11, and which has become my life’s focus now that I lost my voice.]

Spoiler:

This is the video I did recently for cognitivetype. My husband was asking me random questions from the list, and this was my response. I was so nervous my heart was beating out of my chest. I hate the way I look here and I’m trying to lose weight but I’m biting the bullet and posting this for now because it makes the point: the other three above are being interviewed about their MUSIC and look how they answer. In the beginning of my video, I’m being asked about something I really don’t care much about, but I still go deep into my personal world about my views on it. The last question, about what animal I relate to, is something I care about and then I start connecting it to all these symbols, systems (being enneagram 4, etc)… I could have talked about that for 30 minutes but my husband reminded me we’d taken enough time. Imagine if they had asked about my music?

Some thoughts on the comparison to FiSe…

Spoiler:
    Although Michael Jackson, Prince, Bjork and Kate Bush all have a similar fussy, internal world, offworld personal idiosyncratic music style, their performance style is different, and they speak slowly and recede.  On stage, there is something holding them back – they’re perfectionistic about each move, kind of stiff and planned, even if insanely graceful.  On the other hand, Tori Amos performs more like me.  The music channels itself through her; she loses herself.   In interviews, she can be fast and on the fly, too; and she has deep internal stories to tell, much like mine.  She may have developed Ni, as there’s some Ni signals with staring off in the distance and slowing down; but she can also be fast, improvisational, etc.

When I was healthy and could sing normally, I was less held back on stage, and you could hear the perfectionism in every note.  I will post videos once I can convert them.   My voice now is problematic and changes by the day, so I’m not able to channel the same perfectionistic, clean execution of each note, which also makes my piano sloppy as it completely throws me off, despite immense amounts of practicing with a blindfold.

It’s interesting that she’d be FiSe and I’d be SeFi; yet our performance style would show me being more receding and perfectionistic than hers, when I was healthy; although overall, her vibe crosses over the most with mine.  Out of this group, she and I are more likely to go off on a musical tangent on a whim, change the execution of notes on the spot, “explore,” etc.  I would wonder if she is, in fact, SeFi, and if she is then I would feel more confident that my personality matches my category.  But right now, she’s in the FiSe group.

Re: SeFi Milo Yiannopolus, who shares my enneagram tritype.

Spoiler:
    I recently talked about the differences between me and Milo Yiannopolus, who is SeFi I-I- .  He is enneagram 468 Soc/Sx, and I’m 486 Sx/So, so I thought it was an apt comparison, even though we are in different professions. I have noted, before ever typing him, that his writing style is similar to how mine used to be when I would write about politics or papers in school.  I’ve worked hard honing it so I could write my novels, but it did not surprise me that our types in both systems were so similar. He is also awkward in his body, exudes 4ish shame, dresses with a flamboyant style that is sometimes strikingly similar to my own.

That said, there are still major differences, in line with my analysis above: him being more worldly, me being more internal-world focused. He admitted himself that he used to be obsessed with money and fashion, and as he grows, he finds something more valuable (love).  For me, I used to be obsessed with making an artistic symbol of myself but, as I grow, I find I can just be… human.

Note that Jordan Peterson referred to Milo as a trickster. I’ve never had anyone assess me through that lens, in my entire life, even though I do push people’s buttons on politics and other issues.  I’ve always been told more Fi-ish things about myself, personally and professionally.  [At least, when comparing to the descriptions on this site.]  People I work with, note my artistic integrity and obsessive focus on every detail and its meaning. They have to push me to stop revising to match my internal vision and finally put out some work. This is a very different impression than the one Milo leaves; he publishes several books about the world on the fly.  Although I’m quick in conversation, in my work I’m much more fussy, obsessive, revising and self-mythology oriented.

I also don’t associate with trends like ‘sassy,’ ‘gay’ or ‘white,’ and instead express an image of my own making, which later comes to touch on outer-world archetypes (like Kali).  I aim to embody the deepest truth inside myself, which ideally would be so naked and bare that it resonates with something timeless and eternal.

I wanted to post this because I know the goal of this site is to allow the people to define the types, and to get rid of myths about types that aren’t true for people who actually embody that type. So I wonder if there should be a “shade” for SeFi to account for this, or if I am an outlier.   I’m wondering how others feel about their descriptions and categories.

I also want to add that the Fi descriptions are absolutely stellar. It seems Fi people strongly resonate with it.  I could only find a few insignificant sentences that weren’t entirely me, and this is a rarity when it comes to typing descriptions.  Cheers to Auburn for that.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Animal.
    Thana
    Participant
    • Type: NiTe

1) Do the themes associated with your first function resonate with your personality and role in the world?  How does that function manifest, and which themes of the descriptions are ‘not you?’

Oh definitely. Like you mentioned, there are descriptions that I relate to (Fi) but the ones that play out the most explicitly and enduringly is Ni bar none. It would be a bit pretentious to consider myself a sage or a seer or fitting those archetypes, but I can’t help but refer back to them. One of the nicknames for my enneagram tritype, 593 in any order, is “Collecting Unconscious” as named by one very talented and brilliant enneagramer who no doubt was inspired by Jung, a 953 and Ni ego/conscious, in naming this tritype. With that, I consider this tritype quintessentially Neptunian a la astrology, and I’d say Ni definitely falls within that ballpark (as well having a Plutonic hue). Plus in my birthchart, my sun and venus are in the 12th house which casts a Neptunian hue on my personality. One way that I embody Ni, as it relates to Neptune, is by going deep within the unconscious or subconscious and gleaning and extracting what fundamentally drives someone and how that drives their life trajectory.  For example, when I wrote a facebook post on how I exhibit dialectic-algorithmic (D-A) cognition, I had this in it:

“Somewhere else, I said that the primary core theme of serial killers is attachment wounding (edited out some parts and some sentences for clarity):

It’s been a while since I’ve studied serial killers back in middle and high school, but the common thread I’ve seen with all them is a sort of hyper-attachment vs non-attachment attachment to their victims. Often times their victims are those that remind them of their maternal figure (regardless if that figure was the biological mom), the type of person they are attracted to (but hate at the same time), and often used killing as means to channel their sexual impulses. Regardless, there’s an intimate and psychosexual component to serial killing even if actual sex or rape is not involve.

The victim is a representation of their attachments wounding. The act of killing the victim is a paradoxical act of both consummating that attachment and the attempt to destroy it. Nonetheless, both acts are symptomatic of being tethered to that original attachment wounding (or some perverted form of it). The symbol of their wounding will always be present so they must compulsively kill it in order to consummate and destroy it. It’s a never ending cycle.

In other words, through repeatedly killing certain victims, they materialize and the immortalize their attachment wounding. Their efforts to repeatedly and symbolically destroy the original wounding, they end up demonstrating their deep attachment to that attachment wounding.”

This line of thinking also demonstrates the oscillating and convergent thinking of Ni (or NiTe since in traditional socionics that type falls under D-A cognition) as I explained in that same post,

“…this type of cognition tends towards a natural inclination for paradoxical thinking; in other words, it’s linear but imagine two separate parallel lines (one line is blue and the other is red) that run alongside each other and gradually those lines intertwine over time. The properties of each line interact with each other and eventually both lines converge to form a purple line. The purple line is not just a combination of the red and blue line, but it’s an entirely new line with a new set of properties different from the red and blue lines. These new properties are emergent and transformed. The time line is linear but the progression of that time can’t be demonstrated through atomistic snap shots (i.e this event happened, and then this event happened, etc.). It’s better to describe HOW those events progress over time and influence each other.”

My tritype, cognitive type, and birth chart share a consistent through line and that can’t be an accident. So there is something more at play here. As for parts I don’t relate to, I actually don’t have any counterpoints. In my more pathological states, I do fall into paranoid and eccentric thinking and habits. Maybe a superficial counterpoint would be that I don’t see myself as a false prophet, but that’s just my perspective.

Whatever I don’t get to on this question will be mentioned and explained under questions 4 and 5.

2) Do other people see you in the themes associated with your first function?  Have you received feedback about these qualities from others?

The way that I’ve described myself above has also been informed by the way others have described me. I’ve been described as enlightened, wise, insightful, and intelligent. To clarify, all the types have the capacity to be those things just as equally as they can be the opposite of those. I just happen to be those in a Ni way through the way they describe me. Anyone can intelligently and productively utilize their cognitive functions. And anyone can stupidly and counterproductively use their cognitive functions. People do see me as contemplative and prescient.

I’ll do the rest later 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Thana.
    Thana
    Participant

Interim comment: I didn’t realize this was a repost thread! And I saw that the answers were bullet by bullet/theme by theme, but my brains works better tackling the information as a whole and relaying it via storytelling progression than by bullet points. I can do bullet points but not on topics like these where there are a ton of points and then sub-points to tackle. I’d rather consolidate the information and comment on how I relate to it as a whole, to see if there’s a singular through line that’s consistent and makes sense. Plus I’m kind of too lazy to do bullet points with this topic hahaha. So take that as you will :p

Neon
    Participant
    • Type: Unknown
    • Development:
    • Attitude: Unknown

Just moving my answer from the old post :

1) Do the themes associated with your first function resonate with your personality and role in the world? How does that function manifest, and which themes of the descriptions are ‘not you?’

Heightened focus : Yes, especially when I’m reading or watching a series, it is impossible to talk to me unless you yell at me to get me out of what I do. I also tend to get distracted by stuffs in conversation and miss half of what the other person is saying.
    I do like when a piece of art is realistic, mostly when I’m doing it, I can’t stand the idea of it being out of reality. In other work of art this concern tend to disappear.
    I often notice and get annoyed by people making too much ramblling or tangent.
    I think I am good at learning physical skills (gymnastic and dance mainly).

Flow and improvisation : Yes, rythm everywhere. I have high difficulties not moving in a certain rythm, for example when a music is playing, being off beat. But it’s also that when I see part of a landscape I tend to imagine half of what I see and that creates a general impression of harmony, that can disappear when I focus on the detail. It’s almost the contrary as above : pointing precisely on a target vs. Belonging to a whole.
    When I’m excited it really seems like I’m fllowing with the world in real time, and I feel very very powerful, like nothing can stop me. It’s really something that I seek, and tend to be emphasized when I’m with people ; that’s when I « show off », and I feel like I have a certain charm, even though I don’t think it’s a serious kind of charm. But definitely something that would characterize me as extrovert.

Boredom and restlessness : Yes, but not that often. Maybe being always connected helps. I need time to spend on my own doing nothing, really nothing, just chilling. However when I was alone in Lapland in the snow for 2 months straight with almost nothing to do and noone to see I went totally crazy : hyponchondriac, my head felt like cotton, I couldn’t think straight. I was definitely loosing it because of restlessness.

Edginess & stunts : That is not really what happpened in Lapland. I felt the need to run in the forest actually, but it was just like going jogging with music in my ears. I’m not a risk taker at all. I am really fearful, I stress a lot when I take risk for my health and it’s a terrible kind of stress. I tend to appreciate intense experiences, but that is not in the form of risks. Rather feeling the wonder of, say, the night, the strange impression of walking in a forest at night maybe, or looking at the stars.

Persistence effect : I don’t really understand that one. I get, like most people, annoyed when a baby cries in the plane, or loud sounds when I’m trying to fall asleepL. I do tend to focus on the disturbance, get irritated and even angry.

Maximizing comfort and stuff looks like what I do. I don’t think that it is different for non Se users.

Ergonomics and aesthetics : The look and general feel of an object is indeed important. I often compare ugly shoes to ugly faces (with too big or too small noise, or a dummy look), my hairs to rocky landscapes that can have a too sharp or too stupid edge.
    I love simplicity and efficiency, but I don’t like when something it too smooth, it feels shallow. There must be something to hook on, something striking, something rugged. I’m definitely not into trends and brands, I like things durable (but that is coherent with the point : I like objects that are easy to use, durable and beautiful), that change with time and can actually develop a richness thanks to what I lived with them.

Sensual energy : I don’t know, but if it’s there it might be linked with the unleashed flow and improvisation mentionned above.

Addiction : Yes, series mostly when I’m stressed. But that seems more like escapism (see below).

Delinquency : Not at all. I would feel bad ! And I’m too scared of the consequences for me. I really dislike being stressed and that definitely would.

Trickster : Idk really. What I know is that I tend to annoy people by being too excited and/or because I am VERY tactile. I often touch people, sometimes I randomly smell my friends or touch their clothes because I feel like it lol.

2) Do other people see you in the themes associated with your first function? Have you received feedback about these qualities from others?

Well I have a friend that calls me : « the troubadour of the XXIth century » but that is mostly because it pleases me a lot I think. I am definitely vulgar, I swear a lot, people have noticed that and told me it gives a bad and not accurate impression on who I am.

Yes ! That is a thing that really confused me and I never took the time to answer Auburn’s questions about it. I’m doing it now.

Ne felt really right for me. Here is why.

Daydreaming : I’m always doing that. The sentence These images are not immediately evidenced in the environment, but are all those which the environment evokes by containing an adjacent graphical relationship to the present describes quite well what I’m experiencing. I think the removed from the reality part is a matter of degree, because the examples given are not realtable to me, a bit too random. Nonetheless, I’m experiencing the mecanism : sensation → impression of woody texture→ imagining following the wolves into a forest. More generally I tend to grasp something in the real world and connect it to a place where I would rather be, something I would want to do, or simply imagining this thing being destroyed or burnt. I think my daydreaming might be a little more litteral and focused than what Ne users would experience, but given the text it was hard to know that and was really relatable to me.

AND The domain of their imagination can be far more interesting to them than whatever is happening in the outer world. Some may nurture this world with stories they make up, complete with characters, landscapes and perhaps an entire legendarium is what happens each time I’m walking alone. Even when it’s just walking between two classes in the hall. Even more when I’m listening to music, which I do all the time of course. So that lead me into thinking I was Ne, as this was actually one of the most accurate description of my descriptions. Along with some others we are going to review.

Lack of attention : Depending on how you interpret it, my lack of attention can be due to the fact that I don’t Se focus on my class/discussion, but it can also be just a pure lack of attention. When listening to others, as they’re absorbing the person’s words, one word will trigger a mental tangent midway and they’ll pursue it curiously at the loss of what else the other person was saying happens all the time, usually I disengage and start thinking/texting/researching on my phone. My relatives have noticed the look on my face (staas and Septimus Rosa Chalier being particularly good at it) when I do that and often make a remark to get me listen to them again.

Mass data absorption : Yes, as I said my tendency to binge watch series, rush through games that last a week end (happens less and less but still), rush through an astrology website during my class (happened quite recently! I blame bera   ), listening to youtube conferences for hours… And I relate to being more in the flux than in the information itself, which I often blame myself for doing (staas integrates data way better than me, maybe Pi conscious helps?).

Serendipity and flash visions : Yes, I solved the most difficult math problems by not thinking about them. Epiphanies are quite common as well.

Tinkering : I built radios and my computer, removed hard drive and recovered ancient datas. I still have all the drives from my childhood in case I need to recover some old text. I recently used Septimus Rosa Chalier paint spray and with our little brother we remixed one of Septimus Rosa Chalier ’s painting. I started playing the guitar, bought one and now Septimus Rosa Chalier uses it because my interest lasted like a month.
    Now I’m into perfume and goes to the store to smell and try to recognize different aromas. I think it is not going to last long.

Puns and humor : That is the second paragraph to which I relate the most. I’m doing a lot of play on words and spoonerism. Actually I often reverse the syllabus of the first and laste name of my friends to call them differently. In college I was elected spoonerist of the class and had to invent spoonerisms to write them on the blackboard and people could try to guess them when they were bored.
    I feel like I’m also finding absurd comparisons but don’t have any example here.
    I nicknamed my whole family and call them by names I made up.

Imitation and parodies : I’m not good at finding the specificities of someone’s accent or imitating them accurately, but the gesture a little more. I take the gesture of the people I’m close to, and their expression if I like them, because I imitate them and integrate these imitation in my standard behaviour. I sometimes speak in slang because the words and expression are funny to hear; I repeat them and it becomes normal to me. That is linked to my vulgarity.

Distraction & escapism : Yup. I never want to face my problems and it takes effort to do it. I actually do it because I deeply fear the consequences (fearsome remember?). I usually don’t show negative emotions. The worst is when I have to have serious discussion with people. It is impossible. That lead to problems in my love relations, and sometimes people believe that I don’t care for other people because I can’t handle seeing them in a bad situation. I also prefer to show anger than vulnerability, because vulnerability is too heavy and serious.

Concerning the myth, I relate to the child like wonder. I often write that the world is unsufficient (did I already say that somewhere else on the forum?). I am nostalgic of when the world had some many possibilities in it, when I believed in magic and hidden forces. I lost most of it, and try to make it live through litterature (poems are the closest you can get to spells)
    Mer is especially captivated by glittery things such as prisms for their magical capacity to generate a rainbow spectrum, by the allure of distant stars and the reflection of light on morning dew. Mer also carries with it a deep hunger for exploration and the undiscovered. It holds an eternal wanderlust that compels its user to see what’s beyond the next horizon or around the next corner. It looks up at the night sky with wide-eyed wonder suits me well. I realize it describes much more accurately what I described in the last part of edginess and stunts.

4) Is there a certain “shade” of your type that you match? If so, which one and why?

As I don’t know my type yet, I’m not going to review the judgement axes, and neither am I gonna find a shade.

Conclusion : My vultolgy being Se, and as I relate more to Ne than Se I think this might indicates that all the paragraphs actually fall under the category of Pe.

OR (psychological thriller theory) I’m so good at Ne imitation that I’ve lost myself in a Se character, which you will all agree is very well played.

Thana
    Participant

Even though I’ve been typed at ll–, I can’t help but feel that there’s an interplay between my Ni and Fi especially when I was younger. Te and Se have been underlying and oscillating drives for me with Te more recently being more consciously understood and utilized with more nuance as I age. But Fi has always been close to me, and in some ways you can’t encounter my Ni without Fi following close behind (hence why I mistyped as FiSe for some time).

Like what I did with the first question, I’ll speak more generally and holistically of the themes and archetypes of Fi since that’s the most effective way for me communicate, and I can’t see and experience these themes as separate and atomistic. They bleed and coalesce into each other for that. You should be able to parse out the themes and archetypes. Anyways, integrity of the self, identity, and consistency of principles have been enduring themes in my life. It has always been important to parse out and formulate what’s “me” and what’s “not me” and understand what that entails. I have a duty to understand, order, and embody my values or else what use are they? And most importantly, what does that make me? Having an amorphous sense of identity can be disorienting even existentially terrifying at times. What and where is the foundation I stand upon? Likewise, I can be ruthlessly critical towards those who I deem are living in bad faith/dishonestly whether it’s done purposely or unconsciously (usually it’s an interplay of the two). No matter what they do, that’ll leave a stain on my perception of them and a bad taste in my mouth. I’ll fixate on it, and even verbalize my misgivings, if they don’t resolve the misalignment themselves. The reason this severely grates on me is not only does the mismatch come off as loud to me with them and everyone else not seeing or refusing to acknowledge the elephant in the room, but it shows a lack of integrity and denying one’s obligation to oneself. Granted, to live in bad faith is in itself a defense mechanism, a way to assuage the potentially ego destroying assaults life grants to us. To a degree we all live in bad faith, but for some it’s more pervasive than most. Or theirs just happens to be louder and more noticeable. To live in bad faith is to waste your precious time. To live in bad faith is to waste other people’s time because you are giving them a false you.

On the other hand, this is why I have an affinity for animals: their purity. I don’t mean purity in seeing animals as innocent or idealistically, they just are. They have their own complexity but they lack the over-complicated bs that humans possess and dwell on. Animals are straightforward and instinctual. Human complexity is fascinating but maddening, both awe-inspiring and moving, and treacherous and paradoxical.

My Fi doesn’t always manifest in the most pleasant ways even if I do carry a lot of seelie traits. I’ve always been attuned to the macabre, grotesque, and brutal and dark expressions of reality. I’ve always been sympathetic to my and others’ dark underbelly, the place where the wounds, scars, open sores, and secrets fester linger. The side that wants to f**k and kill anything in its path. The side of you that’s rageful, envious, vengeful, avaricious, and darkly lustful. I do experience schadenfreude at desiccating perfection (usually out of a sense of envy) and destroying delusions. To destroy in order to purify and create. The left hand path is just as valid and necessary as the right hand path, as neither can exist without the other. Opposition, conflict, synthesis, and transformation are all natural forces of life. When I start to feel unhealthy and disconnected, I begin to “punch out” into the world to keep some semblance of influence, control, and connection. I get belligerent, provocative, callous, and confrontational if not outright sadistic. I’m also extremely vain and self-obsessed as laid out in the unseelie under stress section of Fi.

Lastly, l’m planning on getting my Masters’ in social work with the focus of working in corrections. You have abusers and killers. People who  are simply victims of the prison-industrial complex. And many fitting in both categories. I plan to work with them all.

Questions 4 and 5 will be done shortly.

Elisa Day
    Participant
    • Type: TiSe
    • Development: ll--
    • Attitude: Adaptive

Seeking the truth to life:

Somewhat, though I know others who pursue this harder than I do. The meaning of life and purpose of humanity is something I often ponder and theorize about, but there are aspects to this description that have always had me perceiving others as overthinking this area of life. I always knew that I would never truly know all of the secrets of the universe and chose to ride the waves of events, soak up the beauty, and appreciate what we have rather than analyze everything too deeply. Since I was a child I theorized the fractal multiverse and could picture it clearly. I saw our universe as a brain inside a body within another universe and so on and whatever “god” exists is beyond that. Envisioning this infinity was soothing enough for me and seeking higher guidance didn’t feel necessary.

Attunement and Purification:

No, this doesn’t resonate at all. Again, I do know people like this that are obsessed with purity, but I’m not one of them. Lately I’ve been delving deeper into ritualistic magic and meditation, and many times there are practices involving releasing what doesn’t serve you and letting go. This has been helpful in overcoming depression, but I see no point in burning sage and worrying too much about purifying the energy of my space. If you cleanse the bad energy you also cleanse the good along with it. It’s like taking antibiotics and cleaning out your entire gut flora. A diverse energy microbiome will more adequately regulate the spirit.

Permeability:

Some parts of this, yes.

“A conflict develops between the Fi user wanting to have their own inner state undisturbed, and resisting being drowned by the states of others.”

This is mostly true, but I think it has more to do with sensitivity to sensory stimulation and chaos than with emotions for me. It seems to me that people around me are either typically chill or I tend to be fairly emotionally detached most of the time and have been told I’m maybe a bit too highly tolerant of others. Unconsciously the emotions of others will effect me over time, but it takes me awhile to notice it is happening. In the meantime I tend to play the punching bag until someone intervenes.

Emotional palette:

“And each Fi user will be very specific in what contents they allow in and which they cast out, tailored from a lifetime of bombardments that have made a custom whitelist for those things that are acceptable.”

No, not really. This is a lesson I’m just now beginning to learn as I have come to understand the importance of guarding the gates to my subconscious. Perhaps when I was young I was quite sensitive and to this day I’m still sensitive to criticism, but feedback from others has shown me that my infinite patience and high tolerance would tell me this passage doesn’t quite fit.

Discovery of inner essence:

“The Fi user is aware very early on that every individual possesses a unique and sacred soul which remains unmodified at its core, but which can be tarnished and crippled by our necessary collision with an imperfect world.”

This is definitely not something I believe. I believe we all are are continuously evolving and changing. We are only copies of copies of copies, etc of our original essences. All of the material that makes up our bodies is continuously broken down, expelled, and replaced including our perspectives. Only the memories contained within our thoughts hold record of our original essences, and those memories are highly distorted.

It irritates me when people say things like “be yourself” or “be authentic” because I don’t believe there is any other way to be. Even if we wear masks and adopt a persona, it is still our own unique masks and personas: our own individual creations. They are coded within our programming and thus a part of us.

I do believe humans are animals and are one with nature as with everything else, yes. There was a brief phase I followed when I attempted to connect with my inner primal self. That phase didn’t last very long, however, as it seemed to be deviating from humanity’s higher purpose which necessitated the acceptance of the shadow side of mankind which is natural to us all.

Idiosyncrasy and self-expression:

Yes, to an extent. There was the angsty goth teen phase, and I did feel different growing up as a child. My peers treated me like a demon outcast, so I embraced the darkness they created in order to feel more empowered. As an adult I see this game as more of an act than actual expressions of individuality. There are times when I feel alienated for having tastes that deviate so much from what’s popular, so I keep most of my tastes to myself and instead focus on expressing universal conceptual and emotional truths.

Hypersensitive and Overwhelm:

Yes, but most of this description sounds like me when I was a child. Parts of this are still true, but I’m able to control it much better now. There are days when it’s like a dark storm cloud is hanging over my head and my heart is heavy with the deepest ache, but hostile environments don’t tend to be what breaks me. Whether or not I’m passive aggressive is debatable, but I can certainly be aggressive as well as hysterical.

Alexithymia & dissociation:

This is familiar, and if it weren’t for this part of the entire description I would likely deny any likelihood of valuing Fi. Alexithymia does sound a lot like my struggles with my inner demon monster, but I have to be pretty unhealthy and hitting rock bottom to experience dissociation.

Mythology/Edin/Fairy vs Witch:

This makes me laugh since people have compared me to Snow White and other Disney Princesses before. It’s a bit embarrassing. However, the other day someone told me I gave them maleficent vibes. There’s a consistent pattern throughout my life of being told I embody the angel/demon or good girl/bad girl polarity. If I’m going to be compared to any Disney Princess I would hope it’s Princess Jasmine, but I only dream of being that bad-ass. My natal chart reflects extremely masculine energy, and I do still struggle with my animus, but according to some I’m “as feminine as it gets.” I’ve also been called the High Priestess, so I suppose this part of the description rings true.

Animal
    Participant

@Thanatesque
    Purr, I love your posts. And I love that you did it holistically. 🙂  Often this is best for me too, but with the Se post I was too divided and wanted to get down to the nitty gritty of the problem I was having with the descriptions.

Like what I did with the first question, I’ll speak more generally and holistically of the themes and archetypes of Fi since that’s the most effective way for me communicate, and I can’t see and experience these themes as separate and atomistic. They bleed and coalesce into each other for that. You should be able to parse out the themes and archetypes. Anyways, integrity of the self, identity, and consistency of principles have been enduring themes in my life. It has always been important to parse out and formulate what’s “me” and what’s “not me” and understand what that entails. I have a duty to understand, order, and embody my values or else use are they? And most importantly, what does that make? Having an amorphous sense of identity can be disorienting even existentially terrifying at times. What and where is the foundation I stand upon. Likewise, I can be ruthlessly critical towards those who I deem are living in bad faith/dishonestly whether it’s purposely or unconsciously (usually it’s an interplay of the two). No matter what they do, that’ll leave a stain on my perception of them and a bad taste in my mouth. I’ll fixate on, and even verbalize my misgivings, if they don’t resolve the misalignment themselves. The reason this severely grates on me is not only does the mismatch come off as loud to me with them and everyone else don’t see or refuse to acknowledge the elephant in the room, but it shows a lack of integrity and denying one’s obligation to oneself. Granted, to live in bad faith is in itself a defense mechanism, a way to assuage the potentially ego destroying assaults life grants to us. To a degree we all live in bad faith, but for some it’s more pervasive than most. Or theirs just happens to be louder and more noticeable. To live in bad faith is to waste your precious time. To live in bad faith is to waste other people’s time because you are giving them a false you.

On the other hand, this is why I have an affinity for animals: their purity. I don’t mean purity in seeing animals as innocent or through an idealistic light, they just are. They have their own complexity but they lack the over-complicated bs that humans possess and dwell on. Animals are straightforward and instinctual. Human complexity is fascinating but maddening, both awe-inspiring and moving, and treacherous and paradoxical.

I couldn’t agree more with this. The single quality that pisses me off in someone else is a lack of integrity. And what I mean by that, is they’re inconsistent  with themself. They are talking a talk but not walking the walk; etc.  I understand that most people cannot do this perfectly; I sure can’t either. But at least make an effort, ffs!  The willingness to have a complete lack of integrity with oneself is The Number One turn-off. I don’t care if they agree with my values (though there is a limit if they’re inhumane), but what I do care about is that they at least strive to live out their own.

And the part about being an animal – yes. This is why I strive to be in touch with my most animalistic, base instincts – to embrace my own undercurrents in their pure, unbridled form. Animals always made more sense to me, innately, than humans.  And I agree with you on the meaning of ‘pure’ – pure isn’t about being ‘good’ or ‘perfect,’ but rather, just being what you are, nothing more, nothing less.

Of course, part of being human is complicating things mentally, and that is what we are. So I have dedicated a lot of attention to the balance between the animal, the human, and the symbolic/sublime. I strive to balance my animalism with my humanity and, through doing so, embody divinity.

Thana
    Participant

@animal <3

Purr, I love your posts. And I love that you did it holistically. ? Often this is best for me too, but with the Se post I was too divided and wanted to get down to the nitty gritty of the problem I was having with the descriptions.

I figured that was the case :). I loved your post and it was highly informative not just for me but for others as well <3.

Of course, part of being human is complicating things mentally, and that is what we are. So I have dedicated a lot of attention to the balance between the animal, the human, and the symbolic/sublime. I strive to balance my animalism with my humanity and, through doing so, embody divinity.

A lot of people commonly think in order to reach divinity one must engage in asceticism or some form of denying in an attempt to transcend the temporal-corporeal instincts and tethers of our existence. I do think there’s something to it about that extremely deprived form of living in order to reach the divine. You deny and starve yourself of one’s base instincts to be emptied of them in order for you to reach the divine and be impregnated by its sublimity. Any extreme activity can induce that feeling. In BDSm circles, it’s not uncommon for subs and masochists to go into “sub space” which is when the adrenaline from the pain reaches its zenith that they end up experiencing overwhelming pleasure to the point that they feel like they’ve reached another plane of existence. The road towards divinity is paved differently for everyone: some choose asceticism, some choose pain, drugs, sex, nature, and others choose the balance between animalism (base instincts), humanity (corporeal-temporal human realm), and the symbolic/sublime (transcendent) 🙂 ;). In doing so, you’re opening up yourself to a wide range of experiences and states that you otherwise wouldn’t be privy to. You’ve experienced the extremes, inhabited liminal spaces, and now it’s time experience sobriety of balance and the euphoria of union. But it’s never an easy road to divinity because along the way you have to embrace the dirt and grime of existence and drudge through the blood and viscera of bowels of existence (which all can be beautiful and transformative in themselves) in order to get to divinity. You can’t have and appreciate the beautiful and pristine without the abject as the abject puts those in high relief.

Anyways onto the last two questions.

When the old website was up, the subtypes of NiTe were delineated but I honestly can’t remember them off the type of my head. All I remember was that I heavily I related to the NiFi subtype which is the subtype most likely to be into animistic panpsychism and other spiritual modalities out of all the gamma types. I can see myself being a Fi ego type NiTe.

5) How does your personality and role in the world compare to the other people in your type category? (Note: this comparison works best if you find people with a similar profession or set of interests.)

My interests are psychology, spirituality, typology, and occultism, all of which I subsume and consolidate into a (semi-)comprehensive worldview. I’d like to say my interests and archetypal energy is fairly standard for the type maybe in some regards stereotypical. There are a lot of Ni types who would also scoff at my interests viewing them as not empirical enough or more accurately useless to engage in because they already perceive or have the ability to perceive reality through those lenses so it’s redundant.

Ivory
    Participant

Ti: Search for Universal Axioms

Yes. I am not interested in acquiring information – my interest lies in understanding the world/universe. What is the key principle behind it? “The Ti user, it may be said, on a quest for a philosopher’s stone” -> Bingo. It is very much a search into the immaterial and the conceptual, with little to ‘show for’ in the material world.

Ti: Reductionism

To the annoyance of my environment: yes. I need to understand why and when the reasoning seems folly, I don’t want to be part of it. I never liked the ideas of ‘school’ and ‘job’ for exactly this reason.

Ti: Castle Construction

Not quite. I am unsure whether I will ever have “a crystalline structure at the core of their being.” Animal sure thinks this is the case, as she has referred to my thoughts as having a crystalline quality to them, but personally I don’t experience my thinking process this way. It’s more that I sense the world through a series of intuitive impressions, and I am constantly making educated guesses to why it does what it does – why it is what it is. In a sense, this requires a lack of a strongly structured core. In conversation, I may seem to take up a position of ‘knowing,’ but I always ‘know’ that I don’t know. I’m just playing-pretend.

Ti: Ontology & Linguistics

Yes and no. Yes to this: “It must be able to be true without them in the picture, otherwise it is not true. By this metric Ti seeks for a sort of timeless abstract definition for everything.”
    No to this: “The Ti user usually seeks to encapsulate the essence of a thing through semantic precision; meticulously working out where the boundaries lie between two adjacent thought groupings.” I don’t care much for semantics – even if I may be good at it. Few things can frustrate me more than fussing over definitions and terminology when the actual questions are left unanswered. I don’t have much patience for this. Linguistics bores me to death.

Ti: Perfectionism

Yes, to my own detriment. I hesitate to act on, or speak of, anything I can’t know for certain. If I cannot act perfectly… I have high standards, to say the least. This is exactly why I choose to be ‘quiet’ – though there may not be much of a choice involved.

Ti: Stubborn Alignment to Framework

Yes.

Ti: Lack of Presence

No. I do relate to some talk of ‘observer’ and ‘world of concepts,’ but an overall lack of presence? No. At work, I am highly engaged and responsive, extremely aware of what’s going on and ready to act. No ‘delayed pace’ with me. About the ‘losing touch with people and friends’-part: yes, but that is because I am largely uninterested in human relations, less so because of a lack of presence when I am involved with one.

Under Stress: Emotional Shutoff

No. The only point I experience here is the pull towards isolation. Under stress my emotionality is through the roof. I am hyper sensitive and reactive, for better or worse.

“Wailings and charged emotional reactions may be perceived as irrational and therefore inappropriate and to be avoided. ” -> Nonononono. Very much the opposite! I treasure charged emotion.

Under Stress: Hyper-Focus on Imperfections

There we go: yes. Because of my emotional oversensitivity and my general proclivity towards perfectionism, I will experience any perceived flaw as devastating when under stress. Acceptance of the self and of the world is extremely hard for me.

Light: Omniscience

This is a beautiful rendition of Enneagram type 5. The archetype that is centered around omniscience and detachment. It is easy to see the connection between type 5 and Ti. I am not a 5. Though I share plenty characteristics with the type, this is not one of them.

Dark: Cynical Nihilism

Yes, the depressed nihilist, where meaning goes to die. If the search for meaning and truth is paramount to Ti, then the sense of its lack – as felt during depression – is devastating. I am familiar with this… state.

Yes, for the most part. People generally have a hard time reading me, so it can be difficult to know how I am perceived by others.

Ni. I experience my decoding of the world via archetypes and symbolism. I see ‘types of people’ and ‘types of events.’ There is a pulse to the world with a cyclical rhythm that I am attuned to, moreso than others it would seem. I am a synchronizer of types, be them arche- or stereo-, outside of theory and definition. The gods of mythology are represented in your neighbors, because it is true on all levels, if it is to be true at all.
    The sense of ‘cosmic consciousness’ and Oneness is what I aim to present, somehow, sometime. Separation is an illusion. Both the light and the dark side of its mythology apply to me.

‘Poised actor’ comes closest. You can look, but you can’t touch..

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Ivory.
    Elisa Day
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Wow, I relate to all of that Ti stuff. I’m not all that articulate, but I get a total boner over people with a firm grasp on semantics. Perfectionistic: yep. Emotional shut off under stress: yep. Lack of presence: yep. All of that is me. I need to read that description again, but I can’t find it now. Based on the main points it seems a lot more apt than Fi :o</p>

Animal
    Participant

@Elisa Day

Wow, I relate to all of that Ti stuff. I’m not all that articulate, but I get a total boner over people with a firm grasp on semantics. Perfectionistic: yep. Emotional shut off under stress: yep. Lack of presence: yep. All of that is me. I need to read that description again, but I can’t find it now. Based on the main points it seems a lot more apt than Fi 😮

Ti: Behaviorism & Mythology

This is the link.

Elisa Day
    Participant

Thank you, @animal! Yes, as suspected I can say yes to every one of those sections and it resonates far more than the Fi description.

However, like the Fi description I know other people who exhibit these tendencies much more than I do. Still people are more likely to point out these traits to me than the Fi traits. Many, many people have typed me as Ti dominant, but I can tell my communication isn’t quite the same as other Ti dominants.

The parts that really stand out:

“There is little more satisfying to them than when data suddenly clicks into perfect arrangement, revealing a fundamental truth. The Ti user lives for these rare and magic moments of clarity and by engaging in this differentiation process, they gain a firm mental grasp on the world; dissipating the fog of the unknown.“

Yes! I even talked about this in my typing video when explaining an art project I was working on. I explain how the drawing style represents how my mind works: how I know when something is true when all the shards of glass fall into perfect formation and the static dissipates.

“This can also make the Ti user a bit of a grammar nazi and their semantic proclivities can lead them to spend hours discussing starting terms without ever making headway related to the real-world problem in question.”

Yes, I’ve always done this since I was little and annoyed people terribly. Even the other day I was doing this on the “lead function devalued” thread when I was nitpicking the use of the word “conscious” and “valued” as they were being applied to function. This totally derailed the conversation people were having about emotions, feelings, and personal experience.

”They will shut off emotionally and may become suspicious and avoidant of intrusions to their private space. This can lead to a very isolated experience where they feel they can only rely on themselves to figure out the answers to emotional problems which it often treats as intellectual problems.”

Yes! My mother finally convinced me to see a therapist and he says that I refuse to sit with my emotions and instead try to problem-solve them away. That’s a big part of our sessions: him attempting to anchor me to the feelings and appreciate them rather than dismissing them.

Elisa Day
    Participant

For some reason I wasn’t able to populate a curser on my last post to continue writing, so I have to do a double post now.

To continue:

“They may sever their connection to others with surprising ease, and forget the magnitude of their inner affect. What is non-ideal is rejected as they continue their pursuit for the ideal both in themselves and others. Yet the content remains present but buried in the unconscious, and they may harbor unresolved feelings for years at a time – often freezing their heart in the process.”

Yes! Yes! Yes! This is why I ended up in therapy and why I am interested in individuation to begin with. I talked about this in the “lead function undervalued” thread as well and the other Fi users could not relate to me. Right here in the Ti description is what I was talking about, and then my unconscious haunts me for years. This is the unhealthy pattern I’m attempting to deconstruct!

“Multiplying and dividing large numbers in their mind, memorizing π to dozens of decimal places, or playing a chess game entirely in one’s head are examples of the sort of exercises that may be fantasized or achieved.”

Yes! This was mentioned in one of my videos as well. I talked about how I do many art projects in my head but never on paper. My art has nothing to do with myself. They are completely detached from my personal feelings and experiences and totally about tools for exploring universal conceptual truths.

Also one more thing to add about the crystalline structures:

Often I describe my thinking as a Jenga puzzle and I’m attempting to fill the holes for a more stable structure, but people often keep pulling out the pieces and sometimes the whole thing collapses and I have to build it back up again.

Evergreen
    Participant
    • Development: l---

Hello everyone! I was just recently typed, so I’m still new to CT, but I’ll give this a go.

1) Do the themes associated with your first function resonate with your personality and role in the world?  How does that function manifest, and which themes of the descriptions are ‘not you?’

Ti:Search for Universal Axioms

Yes to almost all of this, although “searching” sounds more active than what I experience. For me, it’s more like I’m trying to keep my words, thoughts, and beliefs in alignment with the truth, and I’m casting off everything that isn’t true. This casting off process is how I narrow in on the truth. (This may apply more to the next section.)

Ti: Reductionism

Yes. Especially this: “…it tends to be far better at identifying what things are not, than what things are.”

Ti: Castle Construction

Personally, I don’t feel like I have a castle. I relate more to what @ivory wrote:

“It’s more that I sense the world through a series of intuitive impressions, and I am constantly making educated guesses to why it does what it does – why it is what it is. In a sense, this requires a lack of a strongly structured core.”

For me personally, voicing my ideas helps me find out if they really make sense or not – especially when having conversations with other people.

Ti: Ontology & Linguistics

Absolutely. This is exactly what I do.

Ti: Perfectionism

This is very true for me, but the work I do involves a lot of critique and feedback, so I’ve gotten pretty used to accepting the idea that perfection is sometimes subjective and not always a realistic goal.

Ti: Stubborn Alignment to Framework

About 50/50. For example,

Very true for me: “The strong Ti user must reason his way out of a certain conceptual hole…” Yes. The problem is that not every conceptual hole can be layered nicely under the structure of reason, so it’s easy to get stuck. This is made even worse when Ni has made a pessimistic forecast and every new Se refresh perceives the same bleak situation. (At least that’s what I think is probably happening functionally. I could be wrong. 🙂 )

Not so true for me: “They’ll often refuse to participate in something that seems necessary to some, but misaligned to them.” Unnecessary things can be annoying, but I’ll do them — unless they’re actually unethical.

Ti: Lack of Presence

This doesn’t really ring true for me. I feel very much in my body and in the world even when my mind turns inward. It’s more that I’m not able to focus on the external world and my inner world at the same time, so when I go into my head I stop paying attention to the external world, but I’m still “here.” Could this have something to do with Se vs Ne?

Behaviors Under Stress: Emotional Shutoff

Sort of. I do have a “tendency to intellectualize matters of the heart,” but this actually helps me get more in touch with my emotions during times of stress because I become obsessed with understanding them, and this forces me to contend with them.

Behaviors Under Stress: Hyper-Focus on Imperfections

Absolutely, yes.

Mythology: Alin

I don’t really relate to the myth of the void as it’s described, although I think the light version of the myth is beautiful. If anything, I’ve generally been more prone to feel certain aspects of dark Alin. The myth of Aler (Fe) is the one that resonates with me most strongly.

From the people who know me best, definitely. But I think in some social and work settings I might come across as more Fe-like.

Not more than Ti, but I relate to a lot of the Fe descriptions in the Attitudes of the Heart article. I also relate to several aspects of the Ne description, including: daydreaming, lack of attention, tinkering, and sometimes (under stress) distraction and escapism. Honestly, I could also make a case for parts of Fi, since I’m very human-focused and I definitely feel that I have a strong, emotional, value-oriented core — though, my experience may be very different from that of an actual Fi user. 🙂

I’m not sure I know enough about this yet. Probably Technical Specialist or Poised Actor.

5) How does your personality and role in the world compare to the other people in your type category?

I’ll hold off on answering this until I have a better sense of what other people in my type category are like.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Evergreen.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Copyright 2012-2020 | CognitiveType.com
This website's articles, its reading methodology and practices are the intellectual property of J.E. Sandoval.
Animated GIFs, images and videos belong to their respective owners.