Four elements and cognitive functions

Home Forums Model 1 Discussions Four elements and cognitive functions

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rickus
    Participant
    • Type: SeFi
    • Development: l-l-
    • Attitude: Seelie

So I've noticed that in terms of the myths associated with the cognitive functions, four of the functions seem to be assigned certain elements that make sense, like they are more or less the archetypal four elements.
    Introverted Sensation seems tied to the myth of the Earth, by extension the Earth element
    Extroverted Feeling seems tied to the myth of the Flame, and by extension the Fire element
    Extroverted Intuition is described as having the quality of Air, and by extension the Air element
    Introverted Feeling isn't necessarily as specific as it references Nature as its myth, but there are mentions of rivers and lakes, which is probably of the Water element.
    However for the other four functions I don't see as strong of a correlation between them and the four elements. I'm trying to connect the four elements and by extension zodiac signs (EMPHASIS NOT BIRTH SIGNS, but rather zodiac signs as archetypes of personality) to the cognitive functions. I have been told there can be endless combinations but I beg to differ. I mean to me the Yang elements of Air and Fire are clearly Extroverted, while the Yin elements of Earth and Water are clearly Introverted. The rest is up for debate.

Bera
    • Development: ll--

Hey ! We had a thread about this in the old forum.
    https://cognitivetype.boards.net/thread/1720/ct-humorism-alchemy
    So, according to Jung :

Fire - Choleric (best fits ct's Je) - Feeling
    Water - Phlegmatic (best fits ct's Pi) - Thinking
    Air - Sanguine (best fits ct's Pe) - Intuition
    Earth - Melancholy (best fits ct's Ji) - Sensation

Now, Auburn correlated them like this :

^ the Choleric = [Je] - Fire
    ^ the Sanguine = [Pe] - Air
    ^ the Melancholic = [Ji] - Earth
    ^ the Phlegmatic = [Pi] - Water

This was the system concerning humors in alchemy.
    But elements are prominent parts of both tarot and astrology too.
    In tarot I correlate them like this :
    Wands -  Pe - Fire
    Cups - Ji - Water
    Swords  - Je - Air
    Pentacles - Pi - Earth
    But this is totally different from the associations of humors to elements that both Jung and Auburn made. :))
    I used to think the issue is probably deltas created tarot or had a major impact on this arrangement at some point. Because :
    Wands - Fire - Ne (which some tarot readers simply extend to N)
    Cups - Water - Fi (and F, same)
    Swords - Air -Te (and T)
    Pentacles - Earth - Si (and S)
    Is the most natural arrangement, that makes most cards make sense to me at least. :))
    Your view pretty much corresponds to :
    >Half of what I apply to tarot cards (or a quarter?):
    -as you said "Introverted Sensation seems tied to the myth of the Earth, by extension the Earth element"
    -Introverted Feeling isn’t necessarily as specific as it references Nature as its myth, but there are mentions of rivers and lakes, which is probably of the Water element.
    >Half of what Auburn AND Jung said about the humors - functions connection...or a quarter?
    -Extroverted Feeling seems tied to the myth of the Flame, and by extension the Fire element
    -Extroverted Intuition is described as having the quality of Air, and by extension the Air element
    Which is interesting. By the way, these correlations make total sense to me too, I just can't tie them to tarot, but tarot is a separate system anyway, that I mentioned only because it is another system built on the 4 elements structure. So, it might not be relevant tarot - function correlations are not the same as humors - functions correlations.
    Or it might be, I might be wrong or tarot might have started off as closer in symbolism to humorism and then diverged through the centuries so much that the current meanings are now completely different and only the 4 element skellie still unites them. 🙂
    Now with astrology, I can't properly connect signs to functions or types. There are probably too many layers and interventions and changes to the system, we are too far from the roots. I think it actually acknowledged the different functions (as in all 8) but the fact there are 12 traditional signs made it difficult to correlate them with only 8 functions.

Rickus
    Participant

Dear Bera
    Wow thank you for your response.
    I find the tarot card system is somewhat different to connection to humours, it appears as if the Swords suit is more similar to the Choleric in temperament, yet it is linked to Air . It appears too decisive, rigid and just too solidified to be Air in my view. I can definitely see how it may be linked to Je, as Auburn mentions the sword in both the Te and Fe myths as being a symbol of divine agency. However the Swords suit is too intellectual, logical and almost harsh in my view to be linked to Fe. This is why I feel Te or Fe could be blended with another element perhaps.
    The Wands suit appears to be linked to Fire, but it has a combination of Choleric and Sanguine traits. The myth of Ne which is the Puer Eternus has the ability to distort or alter reality, which sounds a lot like a magic wand. Intuition seems traditionally linked to the fire element as well. There is also a spirit of adventure there and a desire to explore, which we can find in both Se and Ne types.
    The Cups suit definitely fits the Water element in astrology as being tied to Feeling, but the Phlegmatic temperament isn't nearly as emotional, I'd rather say the Melancholic is emotional.   Though I would link it to Ji, due to its emotionality I find it difficult to really assign it to Ti, which is absent in ethical and emotional awareness.
    The Pentacles seems to align with Sensation, and by association with earth being a yin or passive element, it is most likely linked to Introverted Sensation, also tying in with the myth of the earth as I stated before. This may apply to Pi as well, however I find this problematic when it comes to Ni, which is by nature non-concrete and abstract, which is in direct contrast to the earth element.
    I am surprised that Jung would link Water to Thinking, I always thought Thinking was linked to Air. Perhaps it makes sense when you tie it to the Phlegmatic which is by nature rather dispassionate. But the traditional association with water in the tarot system as well as in astrology seems to conflict with this a lot, as it is tied to feelings and decisions revolving emotions, ethics and moral values.
    Another thing that confuses me is that the Sanguine Temperament is linked to the Air element, but when I read about the air zodiac signs it only partially correlates, the correlation between air and thinking is not the same as the correlation between the sanguine and the air element. Sanguine's are believed to be more emotionally expressive, so it confuses me that it would be linked to Air, which is according to astrology and the tarot card system quite dispassionate and emotionally detached.
    Also while I do like Auburn's associations, I find the Ji Melancholy connection to the earth element a bit problematic, because he mentions Ji types as not necessarily being very productive or practical, but rather idealistic. This does not seem to align with the earth element in either the tarot deck or astrology. its probably only linked to the Melancholy temperament subtracted from its element, because the traditional description of Melancholy that I've seen on a catholic website about the four temperaments aligns very much with the Ji traits.
    I will share what this website says about the four temperaments. https://www.fisheaters.com/fourtemperaments.html
    Sanguine
    Self-composed  Not given to worry  Liberal
    Tends to follow rather than lead  Cordial  Peaceable
    Talkative  Not averse to change  Adjusts easily
    Tends to prefer informality  Aware of surroundings  Impetuous
    Impulsive  Lacking in perseverance  Lacking in initiative
    Prone to carelessness, hedonism, flightiness, and lust
    Humor: Blood   Element: Air   Season: Spring
    Qualities: Hot and Wet  Planet: Jupiter
    Sanguine appears to link to the Pe metabolism very well, especially in terms of its hedonism, flightiness and lust (the lust could be linked more to Se lust, while the flightiness could link more to Ne)
    Choleric
    Self-composed  Not given to worry  Persuasive  Independent
    Rarely shows embarrassment  Tends to lead rather than follow
    Persistent  Insistent  Decisive  Dynamic  Impetuous  Impulsive  Touchy
    Prone to hypocrisy, deceit, pride, and anger
    Humor: Yellow Bile  Element: Fire  Season: Summer
    Qualities: Hot and Dry  Planet: Mars
    Choleric does appear to link to Je very well, when you look at pride it reminds of how Fe seeks to control society in terms of managing its pride and shame.
    Melancholic
    Sensitive  Intuitive  Self-conscious  Easily embarrassed
    Easily hurt  Introspective  Sentimental  Moody
    Likes to be alone  Empathetic  Often artistic
    Often fussy and perfectionist  Deep
    Prone to depression, avarice, and gluttony
    Humor: Black Bile  Element: Eartth  Season: Autumn
    Qualities: Cold and Dry  Planet: Saturn
    The Melancholic temperament aligns very well with the Ji metabolism, as both are prone to being fussy and perfectionist, in some cases prone to depression as well. The empathetic nature and sentimentality would probably align more with Fi, while the other traits of avarice, introspection and desire for solitude could apply to both Fi and Ti.
    Phlegmatic
    Peaceful   Easy-going  Deliberative   Faithful   Reliable
    Relatively unaffected by environment  Reserved  Distant
    Slow in movement  Constant in mood  Not prone to worry
    Prone to stagnation and sloth
    Humor: Phlegm  Element: Water  Season: Winter
    Qualities: Cold and Wet  Planet: Moon
    The Phlegmatic temperament appears to fit the Pi metabolism very well, as it is prone to a certain inertia and has a rather viscous flow, similar to the bodily humour of Phlegm which is rather viscous. It is generally dependable and reliable, but is far less fussy and perfectionistic about the details of things.
    So if we only look at the four temperaments before adding in the four elements, I'd say Auburn has done an excellent job of correlating them. I think I was just looking for more specifics for certain functions like Ti and Te, because the mythology of those two functions don't really seem tied to a specific element, but they are definitely tied in very well with their metabolism and temperament.

Rickus
    Participant

Hi there
    So I googled a little about the  tarot suits from this website https://www.biddytarot.com/tarot-card-meanings/minor-arcana
    I have made a summary of traits.
    Swords
    The mind, intellect, double-edged, fine balance between intellect and power, air element, intangible, unseen, also in constant movement, breeze or fierce wind, powerful yet refreshing and cleansing, knowledge, action, power and change, masculine, leads by force and power
    Action, change, force, power, oppression, ambition, courage and conflict
    Guilt, anger, harsh judgment, lack of compassion, mental and verbal abuse
    Intelligent, thoughtful, rational, logical, excellent communicators, rational beings, understanding, analysis of what is occurring around them, ruthless, domineering, confrontational, rigid
    Linked to Intellect and logic, which is basically Thinking.
    A Masculine, yang temperament, thus Extroverted.
    Seeks power, taking action, leadership, somewhat rigid and controlling, thus Judging.
    It seems to be linked to Te or Extroverted Thinking Judgment.
    Wands
    Primal energy, spirituality, inspiration, determination, strength, intuition, creativity, ambition, expansion, original thoughts, seeds through which life springs forth, fire element, hot, wild, unpredictable, energetic, creative in helping us to cook food, build tools, destructive, devastating bush fire or house fire
    Passion, energy, enthusiasm, sexuality, masculine, drive and willpower
    Spiritual level of consciousness, personality, ego, enthusiasm, self-concept, personal energy
    Illusion, egotistical behaviour, impulsiveness, lack of direction or purpose, feeling meaningless
    Energetic, charismatic, warm, spiritual
    Linked to Original Thought and Intuition
    A Masculine, yang temperament, thus Extroverted.
    Is unpredictable, impulsive, wild, can be creative or destructive, thus Perceiving
    It seems to be linked to Ne or Extroverted Intuitive Perception.

Cups
    Emotional, love, feelings, relationships, connections, water, fluid, agile, in flow, powerful, formative, soft, gentle, waves lapping against the sandy shore, powerful or forceful, like a raging river, feelings and emotions, intuition, relationships, healing, cleansing, feminine, women, receptive, adaptable, purifying, flowing, thinking with your heart, spontaneous responses, habitual reactions to situations, creativity, romanticism, fantasy, imagination, overly emotional or completely disengaged and dispassionate, unrealistic expectations about what could be, repressed emotions, inability to truly express oneself
    Emotional, artistic, humane, creative, connected with their emotional selves, seeking solutions to emotional conflicts, personal interactions, love matters, feelings and creativity
    Linked to emotions, relationships and Feeling.
    A feminine, yin temperament, thus Introverted.
    It may appear fluid and receptive, giving the appearance of Pi, but because its flow is not as viscous but rather adaptable, constantly flowing and spontaneous, it may indicate an auxiliary Pe tendency.
    Their unrealistic expectations as well as being disengaged and even dispassionate all strike me as being Ji traits.
    It seems to be linked to Fi or Introverted Feeling Judgment

Pentacles
    Physical, external level of consciousness, health, finances, work, creativity, what we make of our outer surroundings, how we create it, shape it, transform it and grow it, ego, self-esteem, self-image, Earth element, tactile, earthy, tangible, creates the foundation from which the planet can grow and develop, supports and nurtures plants and trees, grounded, stable, supportive, fertile, feminine, receptive,
    Material aspects of life, work, business, trade, property, money, material possessions, manifestation, realisation, proof, prosperity, possessive, greedy, overly materialistic, over-indulging, overly focused on career to the detriment of other life priorities, return to nature, grounding oneself, practical, career-minded, down-to-earth, generous, tactile beings, like to experience the physical, tangible world, connected through the senses, seek pleasurable and indulgent experiences
    Linked to what is physical, tangible and tangible, thus Sensation.
    It is a Feminine, Receptive and Yin element, thus it is Introverted.
    It appears to focus on what it can perceive in the sensory environment, albeit in a more passive manner, which may make it appear as Perceiving. Secondarily it appears to be focused on its career, work, money and business, which appears to befit an auxiliary Je function.
    It seems to be linked to Si or Introverted Sensation Perception

So where does this leave Ti, Ni, Se and Fe?
    Ti or Introverted Thinking has the metabolism of Cups or Water, but due to its dispassionate nature and detachment from feelings, it could also be linked to Swords and Air.
    Thus Ti would be a combination of Water Cups and Air Swords
    Ni or Introverted Intuition has the metabolism of Pentacles or Earth, but due to its non-concrete, abstract focus on esoteric spiritual matters, it could also be linked to Wands and Fire.
    Thus Ni would be a combination of Earth Pentacles and Fire Wands
    Se or Extroverted Sensation has the metabolism of Fire and Wands, but it is more grounded in concrete reality and the sensual realm, thus it could also be linked to Earth and Pentacles.
    Thus Se would be a combination of Fire Wands and Earth Pentacles.
    Fe or Extroverted Feeling has the metabolism of Air Swords, but due to its desire for emotional visibility and creating rapport with others to get results, it could also be linked to Water and Cups.
    Thus Fe would be a combination of Air Swords and Water Cups.

Rickus
    Participant

Harry Potter House theory
    So I think Harry Potter Houses are an interesting system that I followed. The four elements don't really correspond to the Arcane types with Harry Potter, its more about the general temperaments.
    Hufflepuff would be associated with Introverted Perception and are Phlegmatic, they very much fit the traits of the Senex or Crone. Hufflepuffs value loyalty, hard work and kindness, so they would be probably be a Pi-Fe type.
    Ravenclaw would be associated with Introverted Judgement and are Melancholic, fitting the traits of the Prince/Princess. They value intelligence, curiosity, have high standards and are quite idealistic, I would say they are a Ti-Pe type.
    Gryffindor would be associated with Extroverted Perception and are Sanguine, fitting the traits of the Explorer and Adventurer. They value bravery, daring, adventure and seem to value fighting for the underdog and standing up for individual beliefs. Thus I would say they are Pe-Fi.
    Slytherin is associated with Extroverted Judgment and are Choleric, fitting the traits of the Ruler and Articulator. They value cunning, are intelligent, resourceful, good at strategy and are typically aspiring leaders. I would say they are Te-Pi.
    Also interestingly the four founders genders could have played a role in their temperaments, because when looking at the four elements and tarot suits, the male elements are usually hot elements (air and fire) and this also fits the Sanguine and Choleric. So Godric Gryffindor would be Sanguine, while Salazar Slytherin would be Choleric.
    The female founders and their respective elements are cold ones (earth and water) and this also fits the Phlegmatic and Melancholic. So Rowena Ravenclaw would be Melancholic, while Helga Hufflepuff would be Phlegmatic.

Rickus
    Participant

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Copyright 2012-2021 Juan E. Sandoval - Use Policy
searchhomecommentsenvelope