Old Discord Community Events – (from my pov)

Home Forums The General Hall Old Discord Community Events – (from my pov)

• Auburn
    Keymaster
    • Type: TiNe
    • Development: l--l
    • Attitude: Adaptive

Hello.

This is coming rather late, but I am just going to detail my thoughts here regarding some events that happened on Discord around September 2020 – around the time of the departure of members like Jelle, Phibious and Sitbone. Also, naturally, this is “my side” of the story – and I can only say as much. There are surely other sides to the matter. That said, I don’t have any interest in resurrecting the matter – so this is the last I’ll say on the topic just for the sake of posterity.

(I don’t believe the mods have an obligation to make fully public everything that goes on in the deliberation process. However, I’m choosing to share a bit here because I think it’s important to the broader CT community which also includes other servers which may not know my side of the story.)

I made the decision to ban Jelle from the server, despite her being a valuable intellectual in the community. The core reasons related to emotional behavior, what I saw as bullying and harassing members whenever she was having a bad day, often with whoever happened to cross her. She’d do dogpiling sessions, banding together other sympathetic members to tag along and either shame or humiliate someone “off the server” using social pressure tactics. She preferred to handle server issues “in the open air” with direct confrontations like this — and believed this was a good way to manage things – jungle law style – putting social fitness as primary, and weeding out the socially unfit.

We had discussions where I clearly outlined that I do not condone this style of server management, and in the end I told her that in this server I was going to intervene in any future acts like this. When I was about to kick her a few times in the past, we’d take things to PM instead, and we had a heart-to-heart. She understood my request to manage the server this way, and said she’d honor it, even though I think she felt it was too PC and anti-expressivity. I took this as a condition/promise going forward – and when she next violated that, that’s when the ban came.

This was neither rash, rushed, or unmeditated. I made the decision to ban Jelle from the server after a lengthy, multi-month discussion process with the modteam in which I was the primary advocate for her removal – and my position was being counterbalanced by mod consensus.

It was not an easy choice to make because, yes, Jelle has a lot of great qualities and it’s never easy when situations are mixed like this. But I still feel I made the right choice for the community, and stand by it. Although it represents the loss of a great contributor, I also believe in giving greater priority to newcomers and future crowds and groups that will form in CT. People whose potential contributions we don’t yet know about, and wouldn’t get to see in a server situation as tightly-knit and socially hierarchical as what existed.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Auburn.
    Auburn
    Keymaster
    • Type: TiNe
    • Development: l--l
    • Attitude: Adaptive

Another thing I wanna clear up specifically is the idea some have that Ash suggested that I ban Jelle, or that Ash pushed me to do so. This couldn’t be farther from the truth. Ash was part of those suggesting I exercise moderation and consider Jelle’s point of view in various scuffles such as with Supah. If anyone should be blamed, it’s me. Here are a few screenshots I’d like to show, from two months before the banning:

and here is a message from Ash that same day:

And here is the mod consensus that counterbalanced my opinion:

So, as you can see, I was hoping to get mod agreement, but the consensus was not in my favor. Ash was in support of working things out in PM rather than kicking. That consensus did change, however, with the final events – but not because of Ash herself. Again I hope this helps clarify what happened and why. The decision to remove Jelle was primarily mine.

~

I also don’t wish to make this thread another re-hashing of the argument though. Just as a sort of public statement/release. This is now in the past, and as I understand it, Jelle is in another server now, and I wish her and everyone else well.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Auburn.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© Copyright 2012-2020 J.E. Sandoval
SEE HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

DISCLAIMER

The content on this site is not
intended for medical advice, diagnosis,
or treatment. Always seek the advice
of your physician or other qualified
health provider with questions you
may have regarding a medical condition.
For more information visit this link.

SHARE: FACEBOOK, SUPPORT: PATREON