Connection between SeFi and love of fantasy and abstract fantasy genres

Home Page Forums The General Hall Connection between SeFi and love of fantasy and abstract fantasy genres

• Rickus
    Participant
    • Type: SeFi
    • Development: l-l-
    • Attitude: Seelie

So I have noticed that in the description of Ne, perhaps more the mythology of unhealthy Ne, there is a flight of fantasy or deeper delving into fantasy. I am not an Ne user myself, although I used to believe I was. I am instead an Se user. Yet I have been really interested in fantasy and the mythologies of various ancient cultures such as Greek, Norse, Egyptian and Chinese mythology. I’ve always felt like my dreams held a special significance in my life and would prefer watching fiction and fantasy adventure style movies, becoming so involved that I would find myself living vicariously or empathically through the protagonists of the films, usually if its a live action fantasy film.

So my question is, in what way would an SeFi user like myself be interested in fantasy or magical situations if my primary function is based on reality, viscerality and concreteness, if these aspects of life are anything but concrete or realistic? And I am guessing the vicarious living through characters is my auxiliary Fi. I am just wondering if my Se is in any way related to this genre or theme. Could it perhaps be a Pe trait of wanting to escape the mundane reality I find myself in, or perhaps a form of escapism from stagnant situations.

fayest42
    Participant
    • Type: FiNe
    • Development: ll--
    • Attitude: Unseelie

I would be curious to hear other’s thoughts on this. I suspect my husband is an Se-lead, and he is very interested in fantasy fiction. I, on the other hand, am not. I enjoy fantasy occasionally, but I usually prefer it when it is mixed with realism (something like Melancholia, for example). If it feels too far from real life or if the fantasy feels like it’s just for fun and not to serve a story based in a real human experience, it’s not interesting to me anymore. One of my favorite genres of film is “mumblecore,” which is notable for its realism. One critic described a particular mumblecore film as “So close to real life, it’s barely a movie.”

Rickus
    Participant

Dear fayest42

That is really interesting since you are an FiNe. I watched this video where an NeFi and NiTe described how their dreams differ. The NeFi user described her dreams as being surreal, there were real elements in her dream but they were out of context (like an ostrich walking into someone’s bedroom or riding on a slide and landing in a pool of skeletons). The NiTe had a very different way of dreaming, she said her dreams were either hyper-realistic and based on figuring out how to practically accomplish a task, or they were like abstract colours and nebulous shapes floating in the air.

I’m not sure about myself, I mean I do love fantasy fiction, as long as there are real elements used in a fantasy setting, or if there is a dragon or a fairy it should be realistic enough to be relatable. I am not really a fan of animation though (with the exception of anime films such as Spirited Away) as I also find it too far removed from reality and hard to relate to.

I like action adventure fantasy films. I wouldn’t say I was very keen on Melancholia, simply because I found the storyline hard to follow and kind of lackluster. But any sort of film involving mythology, fantasy or monsters and myths from well-known mythologies of ancient cultures fascinate me the most. The fact that these mythologies were based on a collective culture is also interesting to me. I guess perhaps it is an Ni thing to want to delve into the deeper archaic symbolism of ancient cultures and their mythological views of life, while the Se side is drawn to the action and adventure aspects thereof.

Yet at the same time I think I need to be careful to not say all FiNe types for example like melancholia, or all SeFi types like the chronicles of narnia. i guess it differs by individual preference as well.

So yes I am curious to hear what others have to say.

fayest42
    Participant
    • Type: FiNe
    • Development: ll--
    • Attitude: Unseelie

Ah, yes, I’ve seen the video you’re talking about. It’s on the INFP/INTJ Coffee channel, right? You’re right that the “INFP” girl is NeFi in CT. But the “INTJ” girl in the video is an Fi-lead in CT, according to Auburn. I don’t think he’s said whether she’s FiNe or FiSe, but my hunch is FiSe. As for my own dreams, I guess they’re closer to the NeFi’s dreams – I’ve never dreamt of nebulous shapes and colors, but there are often unreal aspects to my dreams like being able to fly (when I fly in a dream it feels like swimming) or things being out of place.

Your analysis of your Se liking action adventure and your Ni liking symbolism makes sense to me. And yes, I agree that there will be a lot of variation within types in regards to what types of movies they like. I would be curious to see if there were patterns though. Recently I was chatting with some friends and one of them (an NeFi) suggested that we take note of what some of our favorite movies are and think about what they have in common and what it says about us. I remember that she liked fantastical things like Alice in Wonderland a lot and she also liked “day in the life” or “coming of age” stories about young artists, which fit well for her because she is also an artist. I remember realizing that a lot of my favorite movies/books were about people who were outsiders, questioning or stepping outside of normal society in some way (e.g. Fight Club, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Breakfast Club, Donnie Darko, Lost in Translation, Rushmore, Franny and Zooey, Walden, Wild or any other book about a long distance hike). I think this fits quite well with being an Fi-lead – it speaks to my desire to find out and act on what works for me, outside the bounds of my culture and society. I’m not sure how mumblecore fits in to my CT type exactly, but there is something thrilling about seeing interactions between people with all the awkwardness of real life instead of the perfectly scripted scenes we normally see in movies.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by fayest42.
    Rickus
    Participant

Dear fayest42

Yes thats right, it has recently been changed to casual cognition because Calypso stayed and Alex left. Interesting that Auburn typed Alex as Fi lead, I definitely agree her Fi is so abundantly clear, her giddy giggle is really strong haha. Calypso actually typed me as an ENTJ (TeNi) on her site with a developed Fi, though I strongly disagreed and was quite angry that she would even consider me an ENTJ. But then I understood it was because I stared too intently at the camera, making me appear more rigid and like a Je dominant type. She did however steer me in the right path because ENTJ (TeNi) and ESFP (SeFi) have the same cognitive functions in their stack, I was just not happy that she thought I was a Je lead, when I clearly see myself as a Pe lead, but Calypso sadly didn’t want to change her mind and seemed quite insistent that I was a TeNi. Thankfully I came across this website and Auburn helped me tremendously.

Yes I also identify with outsiders a lot myself, owing to Fi being my auxiliary function, I definitely root for the underdog, even in the remade film of Maleficent, I found myself relating to her (even though its not my favourite movie and wasn’t as well executed as it should have been, it definitely made me sympathise with the anti-hero or villain). I’ve had both surreal dreams and realistic yet oddly placed dreams myself, many of them have a spiritual, almost divine aspect to them, sometimes quite dark though (dreaming of hooded men without faces for example, having prophetic dreams with deep symbolism, and having a very visceral dream once where I saw a black wolf who spoke and said he was going to kill me. I refused to accept this and said no you will never kill me, I ended up strangling the wolf to death. That may have been a lucid dream I guess, since I had control over it. I’ve  also dreamed that I was in an amusement park but the roller coaster tracks and the poles supporting them were infinitely larger than a normal roller coaster track would be.

I had many encounters with death in my dreams, and every time I was killed I felt a really strong sense of fear, it was visceral and intense, as if I was really being killed, which is probably Se I guess, or my fight or flight response may have been overactive at the time. I guess this is a common theme in my dreams, they have always felt really vivid, visceral and intense to me, no matter how absurd they may have appeared, they always felt like a real, lived-in experience, and not just an unrelatable fairy tale or fantasy with no vividness or viscerality to it.

When I was really young, say 6 or 7, I also dreamed that I could fly over my backyard, but I had no control over my ability to fly at all, it was both wonderful and terrifying at the same time.

Mumblecore sounds really interesting and like its a refreshing break from the overly structured script of films I agree, I am interested in watching it myself. I definitely find myself attracted to those kind of films you’ve mentioned as well, although I may not have seen all of them they definitely attract me as well.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
© Copyright 2012-2020 | CognitiveType.com
This website's articles, its reading methodology and practices are the intellectual property of J.E. Sandoval.
Animated GIFs, images and videos belong to their respective owners.