Reply To: Ji Agenda and Identity

Index Forums Cognitive Functions Ji Agenda and Identity Reply To: Ji Agenda and Identity

Auburn
Keymaster
  • Type: TiNe
  • Development: l--l
  • Attitude: Adaptive

Great questions lately!

I’m going to skip over “introspection” since that actually applies very generally to any sort of Ji or Pi activity, and instead begin by addressing “interest in self knowledge” since I think that’s where the root of your question lies. Even then, however, it’s not a Ji exclusive thing.

Interest in self-knowledge can take the form of Pe exploration (i.e. dabbling with typology models, astrology models, self-help books, training courses, etc) or it can take the form of Pi (where do I come from? where does my culture come from?). Even Je can be focused on self-knowledge through personal challenge and testing one’s limits. In short, this is a ‘content’ problem again. The content can be the self, for any of the four functions.

A Ji-lead can still genuinely lack a lot of self-awareness, especially since half of the truth of oneself is contained in the external. People’s lack of awareness of what they look like on video is an example of this. Introspection isn’t the only path to self-knowledge, in fact one can argue it may not even be the most effective one — as counter-intuitive as that may seem — due to the myopia/insularity of introspection. We often need an outside view to tell us who we are.

so how does the development of an identity emerge

So although Ji is quite interested in self-knowledge, what is specific to Ji is “the question of identity” but not exactly in the “what am I?” sense — more in the “what do I stand for?” sense. Identity, for Ji, is something of an affiliation with certain beliefs, truths, values and opinions. It’s what they hold to be true, and what they elevate as most right. And it’s the result of their paradigm construction, or the construction of their own aesthetic. It’s only in this domain that I can address the question, so lets see if I can succeed in tracing the metabolic path, beginning with the basic terms:

J :

• Aim: Organization
    • Control/Define/Clarify
  • Method: Differentiation
    • Boundary-Setting (drawing lines)
    • What is / What isn’t
    • This -vs- That

I :

• Aim: Reflection/Introspection
    • Resisting the Object
    • Removal from Environment
  • Energy Vector: Reactive / Internal
  • Scope of Domain: Isolated / Insular

Together this creates:

Ji :

• Essentialist reflections over “what it is”/”what it isn’t”
  • Organization/definition in an isolated domain
  • Control over an insular domain
  • Boundary Setting within this restricted domain of influence

The J operation is one of boundary-setting. It delineates between things, and says “this is” / “this isn’t”. This differentiation can be applied to objects or subjects (subjects are objects when handled mentally), which is why J is also involved in the setting of ego boundaries [ you / me / them ], while P at its purest is an undifferentiated flow between self and everything.

Naturally this means that Ji has the ability to classify what “is” and “isn’t” [ me ], just as it can identify what is and isn’t consistent within any object. So even in treating itself as one object/subject among many, a form of “identity” develops from Ji — in the sense of it defining what one is or isn’t by themselves.

Furthermore, as Ji is a controlling function, it also organizes that inner content. Inner content can be information about subjects or objects, but it’s the collective volume of data at one’s disposal. Ji will exert control over how this content is scaffolded, and Ji will have dominion over its own domain. In this domain it is the ultimate arbiter. So the J tendency towards “order” is applied, in Ji, to the context of their inner world with the goal of mind of creating symmetry/alignment/etc. And this is experienced as a self-beautification. The content of this domain can be the universe, society, the world or themselves. But in organizing/structuring their inner content, they are focused specifically on their view and their limited boundary of influence — making it beautiful inside this walled garden — an island of truth. I use the word “beautiful” because Ji has an artistic element to it — which is necessary to tell apart symmetries from asymmetries, for instance, and it is subject to personal choice — despite how it may be painted as objective.

Now, this beautification doesn’t always have to manifest as idiosyncrasy and flamboyancy, as not all Ji’s turn to decorative self-beautification. Some go the ideological route; focusing on “beauty” in the sense of structural coherence in their beliefs, values, and integrity. For Ji, the focus on identity emerges as a causal result of them exerting control and organization of their sphere of influence, as well as the need to “stand by” what they conclude. So the ideology or aesthetic that they come to build often becomes synonymous with them. Thus the activity of Ji is the activity of building oneself up into the perfect form, or embodying principles which –while they may believe are universal– need a vessel to speak or live them. And insofar as they are the vessel for their truth, their identity is wrapped up in it.

Even though Ji seeks for a truth that transcends them, in the end it is confined to them, and is synonymous with them and their identity. So not all Ji-leads may see themselves as self-focused or self-absorbed, but their way of metabolizing information will inescapably put their axioms at the center.

Disclaimer: This applies most to polarized Ji-leads, and less to P-heavy Ji-leads. I’m partly exaggerating the level of rigidity present, and really downplaying the reviser energy for the sake of describing how/where their proclivities come from.

In practice, Ji-leads have a fair deal of self-doubt, and ongoing revision of their own ideas. So they’re not closed-minded. But still, there’s a clear ‘centrality’ there; a seed/core that they nurture and covet.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Auburn.

© Copyright 2012-2020 J.E. Sandoval
SEE HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

DISCLAIMER

The content on this site is not
intended for medical advice, diagnosis,
or treatment. Always seek the advice
of your physician or other qualified
health provider with questions you
may have regarding a medical condition.
For more information visit this link.

SHARE: FACEBOOK, SUPPORT: PATREON