Reply To: Female Figures in Religion & Media

Index Forums Cognitive Functions Female Figures in Religion & Media Reply To: Female Figures in Religion & Media

Animal
Participant
  • Type: SeFi
  • Development: lll-
  • Attitude: Unseelie

I agree it is unrealistic and I also think it is overused because it is a good reflection of something some men really want.

See, this is the ‘brainwashing’ I’m talking about. (I’m not saying YOU are brainwashed – you said ‘some men’ – just responding to the idea that “men want this” at all.)

The media tells us that it’s a reflection of something “men” really want.  To me, this is just as much a misandry message as it is a misogyny message.

It’s a reflection of something we all want. We all want to save someone and be saved because there’s a little child inside us that wants mommy and daddy to come to the rescue when things get rough.  Shit happens and then you feel powerless, you want to be rescued, or you get off on rescuing someone else so you can feel strong. This is why children coddle their little dolls and pets.

How many women in the world get off on nurturing some tragic guy?   Why do you think rockstars who are drug addicts always have girlfriends and women chasing after them like crazy, trying to save their soul? 😀

“MEN” do not want someone helpless any more than “WOMEN” do.  Many men want to be rescued just as much as many women do.  The exact style of rescuing tends to be different among genders.

Those movies are basically appealing to our reptilian brain. Mommy-daddy fantasies, and dressing like a baby so you can be coddled by mommy & daddy.  It’s not making an advanced, realistic social commentary on advanced, thoughtful, mature men and women, and it’s unfortunate that people of both genders walk away with ideas about ‘how they should be’ based on this.

I think we should look for some unrealistic depictions of men in the media specifically aimed to satisfy women’s fantasies, to be completely fair.

The men in those movies are just as unrealistic as the women.  Movies that do 1D characters tend to do so across the board.

But the men in those movies are portrayed as ‘ordinary, average guys’ – like I explained in my other post – and then, everyone just believes that these guys are ‘ordinary average guys’ and this is what guys are like.

True, we all have reptilian instincts. But most of the men I know irl, actually want girlfriends and wives that have wisdom, experience, good conversation, etc. So the false idea that these are ‘average guys’ is just as damaging to all of us, as is the ideals about women.

At least the women in the movies are portrayed as ‘extraordinary,’ so it’s a little easier to accept that not all of us can be this way. (Although we think we need to be that way in order to be loved.)  But imagine being a man that wants an advanced, real woman to talk to, and feeling like all your friends will think you’re “pussy whipped” because you like having conversations with your mature, grown up girlfriend.  Imagine being an average guy and feeling like “all the average guys in the movies have these beautiful girlfriends who worship them – so I must be really undesirable if I can’t even get a normal girl to worship me.”  I mean..there’s a lot wrong here. 😀

Anyway, we might be able to find some unrealistic depictions of men that are there to satisfy womens’ desires. But usually the woman who ends up with him in a movie, is super hot and extraordinary herself. You never see “average Jane Doe” ending up with Hulk Thor God.

Thor came to mind because it’s a “God” dating an “average woman” – but the woman is played by Natalie Portman and portrayed as a drop-dead-beautiful brilliant genius.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Animal.

© Copyright 2012-2020 J.E. Sandoval
SEE HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

DISCLAIMER

The content on this site is not
intended for medical advice, diagnosis,
or treatment. Always seek the advice
of your physician or other qualified
health provider with questions you
may have regarding a medical condition.
For more information visit this link.

SHARE: FACEBOOK, SUPPORT: PATREON