Reply To: Female Figures in Religion & Media

Index Forums Cognitive Functions Female Figures in Religion & Media Reply To: Female Figures in Religion & Media

Animal
Participant
  • Type: SeFi
  • Development: lll-
  • Attitude: Unseelie

@auburn

Yes! Thank you for summing up.. I really admire your organizational qualities. I write so many long posts and it would be so much easier if I could just organize the way you did, from the get-go… 😀

The only point there that I slightly disagree with is this:

“Are specifically against portrayals of a “pretty, desirable, submissive (…) woman [who has] no heroic arc of her own, and serves only to attract a man and inspire him to individuate””

I’m definitely not against this. I just don’t think it represents the average woman; nor would it resonate with most women I have ever met.  I feel it’s overrepresented as a norm, and it is a false norm.

I have absolutely zero problem with this arc existing sometimes, nor do I have a problem with women-centered stories portraying men as side characters.  A story sometimes needs to focus on one character arc, portraying their lovers or friends as ‘side points’ to the main plot; and I have no problem with this.  I just don’t appreciate the media representing this as the norm, or pushing it as a feminine ideal.

I agree with @ivory that this is connected to an attempt to sell products, though I also think there are other reasons to suppress “Sx energy” (as in transformation, passion, etc) for both genders – because it’s “chaotic,” disruptive to those in power etc. This is an  ongoing pattern that I imagine will come up in any culture throughout history.  But the ‘Mother Mary’ stuff pushes it to a very serious extreme in our own history.

The only way to react to such an extreme is through another extreme; thus we have “I don’t need no man” sentiments, and oversexed, free-sex sentiments which are also over the top and unrealistic.  Realistically, women are more negatively affected (hormonally and chemically) by  random sex with strangers, than men.  So this reaction is not good for women either; nor is it true to their nature.  The extreme sides of this create a false polarity – “Dominant, Warlike Woman” vs. “Submissive, Sexless/Angelic Woman”  – neither side of which will make anyone happy.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Animal.

© Copyright 2012-2020 J.E. Sandoval
SEE HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

DISCLAIMER

The content on this site is not
intended for medical advice, diagnosis,
or treatment. Always seek the advice
of your physician or other qualified
health provider with questions you
may have regarding a medical condition.
For more information visit this link.

SHARE: FACEBOOK, SUPPORT: PATREON