Reply To: Female Figures in Religion & Media

Index Forums Cognitive Functions Female Figures in Religion & Media Reply To: Female Figures in Religion & Media

Animal
Participant
  • Type: SeFi
  • Development: lll-
  • Attitude: Unseelie

@auburn also –

If you read through my original post which began this conversation, along with reading the comments I have made – I have not once claimed that women like me were the majority. What I claimed was that there’s a history of powerful Goddesses which are left out of Western Culture; that portrayals of the women in the Bible are much different than the portrayal of Goddesses in prior cultures which included combinations of sexuality, sensuality and war. With that being said, we can extrapolate and theorize about how this  highly specific portrayal of female Goddess – as “Mother Mary” as opposed to Innanna for example – may have affected the way women are portrayed in the media. Not to mention, how women shape themselves in an effort to fit that ideal.

But I have also stated over and over that unlike some of the Te women you posted, I have nothing against women who primarily identify as nurturing-family figures.

I definitely do not think I’m average.  I know that I’m weird, exceptional and on the wrong planet. That’s why my project is called Erosian Exile.

I think sometimes, I have two points:

• An objective observation based on experience
  • A subjective observation about myself

And I don’t organize my points as well as a J lead would, so then some people may read them and think that I’m posing ‘myself’ as some kind of average.  But I’m not. When I make comments about women, cultures and Goddesses, I’m talking about many people that I’ve met; many reactions I’ve seen to these movies; ideas about history and culture.  Then I often venture to share my own ‘personal’ response, as well.

To quote one of my posts which did make its way into this thread:

Regarding the rest of your post – I agree. There’s no dichotomy where a pretty, sweet, romantic woman can’t ALSO be strong and independent.

There are women that are more feminine and homey, and also women who are princessy, who are strong in their own way. There are also tough women that are jerks and just want to make some noise and hate on men and other women. I can’t stand this – I view it as weakness. There are many different ways to be a strong person, man or woman.

So when I talk about what I want to see in media, there’s two sides to it: I want it to be realistic and also I hope for female characters that are really relatable for me.

Now if we’re talking nurturing figures, that’s one thing. I too have strong nurturing energy.

If we’re talking the pretty, desirable, submissive role where the woman has no heroic arc of her own, and serves only to attract a man and inspire him to individuate:

My mother doesn’t fit it. My cousins and aunts don’t fit. My friends don’t fit.  I can think of about five people I’ve ever known who fit that role well, and those women were depressed and/or anorexic. In one case, once she got better she became a gym coach with a lot of her own personality and stopped being so submissive.

This is a separate point from me being an average.  The point here is that these characters simply aren’t human.  I’ve mentioned many times that in GOT, there are many ‘human’ female characters who are multi-dimensional, not to mention  male characters. I find it compelling and realistic, even though none of the female characters are “exactly my archetype.”

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Animal.

© Copyright 2012-2020 J.E. Sandoval
SEE HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

DISCLAIMER

The content on this site is not
intended for medical advice, diagnosis,
or treatment. Always seek the advice
of your physician or other qualified
health provider with questions you
may have regarding a medical condition.
For more information visit this link.

SHARE: FACEBOOK, SUPPORT: PATREON