Reply To: Female Figures in Religion & Media

Index Forums Cognitive Functions Female Figures in Religion & Media Reply To: Female Figures in Religion & Media

Bera
  • Type: SeFi
  • Development: ll--
  • Attitude: Seelie

Aaaand I’m back.

@fae – I will return to what you said. You are right ! Christianity also does not have a masculine deity who is…sexually active. ๐Ÿ™‚ Actually…God, the Christian God, is based on the the God of the Jews. And what is really creative and innovative (and most probably also closer to the truth) about their religion is that their God is formless. This is a major thing and appears in the 10 commandments :

I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

ย Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness [of any thing] that [is] in heaven above, or that [is] in the earth beneath, or that [is]in the water under the earth; Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them, for I the LORD thy God [am] a jealous God (..,)

The main idea is that it is wrong, it is a SIN to make an idol of God and worship it. God should not be seen as a human-like being. Or as anything material, as any image or shape.

So, it makes sense that God could not be depicted like a sexual creature…and then, going further, neither could his son, though he is seen as a sort of embodiment of God in the world. But as embodied as he was, him having sex and suffering because of a woman and having children…would not have fit in very well in this narrative. ๐Ÿ™‚

The issue with this is that, at least in my opinion, people find it easier to pray to figures that are basically close to archetypes. God as the formless behind all forms is wonderful to contemplate by someone like @faeruss ๐Ÿ™‚ – by someone who is into philosophy, but when you want to emotionally connect to the divine, you need an image to make this connection possible.

And this is why I think we also have saints. And angels. I…don’t want to take an atheistic position. I can’t say saints and angels don’t exist. I think these energies and this imagery exists for sure in our minds and connecting to it does elevate us spiritually. Even if objectively there are no winged beings following us from the clouds. ๐Ÿ™‚

And this is probably whereย  Mary is also coming from. From the Mother Archetype.

Now, about virginity – indeed I think it was admired like something transcending the material and ordinary life and we see this in many religions.

But maybe it was also a representation of purity of mind or purity of heart. Not necessarily about literal virginity. I mean, symbolically, a child can be seen as an act of creation and more exactly like the creation of yourself. And this can only happen when you attained perfect purity of mind, right? Then, if we look at the story as just symbolic, it would make perfect sense for Mary to be a Virgin and a Mother.

Another thing ! My life also feels dry and lonely when I feel out of connection with the divine. And right now my connection is pretty much hm…submerged? (I don’t mean it in the CT way ๐Ÿ™‚ ) It is there but I consciously reject it most of the times. And it is because I am very afraid to discover that it…isn’t really there. That God actually does not exist. I prefer to live in a state of doubt than to know this for sure.

Regarding how Mary is seen by the Orthodox and Catholic, I agree. I am a Catholic. Both Catholic and Orthodox see her as their refuge. And pray to her as often as they would pray to God. In my church basically there are two big statues – one of Mother Mary and one of Jesus, she is on the left and he is on the right; she is dressed in blue and white and he is dressed in red and after mass people go to either of them but mostly I think they go to her.

Also, I know the energy you are talking about !!! I felt it. Many, many times. I come from a religious background and used to be a believer. I still care about these issues immensely though I can’t bring myself to truly believe again, which is of course a type of spiritual torment, in a way.

I also think Guan Yin is her equivalent, I noticed that when I saw some depictions of her on the internet (you are so lucky to have visited Shanghai !!!). But I don’t know much about her.

Now I remebered metta meditation…but it apparently is not connected to her, it’s a different tradition. Anyway, I think it is in line with her energy. ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m thinking about posting a song, hm, in the end it’s religious and about loving kindness, I think it is related to the subject but again, it’s not connected to Guan Yin, I just feel it’s a similar energy.

And you can try this – sending love to all directions and to everyone ! And the wonderful thing is you can really feel it, as if your heart chakra really existed and opened (not sure if this is actually happening but it does feel like it !)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Bera.

ยฉ Copyright 2012-2020 J.E. Sandoval
SEE HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

DISCLAIMER

The content on this site is not
intended for medical advice, diagnosis,
or treatment. Always seek the advice
of your physician or other qualified
health provider with questions you
may have regarding a medical condition.
For more information visit this link.

SHARE: FACEBOOK, SUPPORT: PATREON