Reply To: Female Figures in Religion & Media

Index Forums Cognitive Functions Female Figures in Religion & Media Reply To: Female Figures in Religion & Media

Auburn
Keymaster
  • Type: TiNe
  • Development: l--l
  • Attitude: Adaptive

(Thread split, as it’s once again not about harry potter. )

Just to butt in here briefly — I’m inclined to agree with Bera here that the female portrayal isn’t entirely unrealistic.

@animal
– If I may make some commentary regarding your specific case, I have seen many Te-conscious woman taking a similar issues (in various iterations) to the way women are portrayed. For example, Rebecca Watson, Joy Behar, Tina Fey, Germaine Greer – etc. See this collage made in this post.

Spoiler:

They often complain about women being painted as helpless in the media, dislike the idea of the double-standards, and even dislike their own women counterparts who give into, or play along with, what they see as a cultural narrative and indoctrination (or learned female helplessness).

But I have some counter-points to make about this. Firstly by pointing to someone who is also Te+Se that makes strong cases against her own initial points, having grown out of this mindset: TeNi l-ll Camile Paglia

Spoiler:

Google “Camille Paglia quotes” and you’ll see a very interesting viewpoint. She says that despite having started out as someone inordinately tenacious (by temperament/type) for her gender, even she had to eventually concede to the realities of her gender and the women-ness that she is a part of.

She has said in some interviews that she is an outlier, and how she understands that women do have a nature that is more affected, reactive, yin, responsive and all those things which are perhaps exaggerated in some media (as all things are iconized in life). In my estimation, it’s simply an aspect of art to emblemize qualities and so “epitmization” is a normal feature of how we grasp reality. Women-ness is epitomized also, but that is nothing to take direct offense over.

That said, I think that even a “realistic” (average) women is not necessarily one reflected in you, specifically. Again, I tend to think you frame things too heavily by using yourself as the central subject and sample. I don’t think women at large would be so swift to object to depictions of women that fall short of the self-empowerment granted to Daenerys or Gal Gadot figures. I see such strong women as not reflecting the majority of their gender.

I’m not saying women are always helpless (they’re not). And I’m not saying there aren’t problems in the media. But what I am saying is that the “feminine” depiction is generally true and ancient, despite the fact that some women don’t embody it. Just as some men (i.e. FiNe men) don’t embody the epitome of male-ness. This naturally causes those outliers to rebel against the mold that is being laid over them, and this is what I see with many Te women. And it’s understandable. But I don’t think the answer is for the men or women outliers to try to make claims about the majority, in reflection of their own preferences. Or to paint the media as being skewed for not reflecting their preferences.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Auburn.

© Copyright 2012-2020 J.E. Sandoval
SEE HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

DISCLAIMER

The content on this site is not
intended for medical advice, diagnosis,
or treatment. Always seek the advice
of your physician or other qualified
health provider with questions you
may have regarding a medical condition.
For more information visit this link.

SHARE: FACEBOOK, SUPPORT: PATREON