Reply To: Subjective Orientation of Introverted Functions

Home Page Forums Cognitive Functions Subjective Orientation of Introverted Functions Reply To: Subjective Orientation of Introverted Functions

Auburn
Keymaster
  • Type: TiNe
  • Development: l--l
  • Attitude: Adaptive

Metabolically, introversion is the process by which information is evaluated statically rather than dynamically. The subject of thoughts turns in on the information rather than branching out, and focuses on the content in-itself.

So the activity of introversion is a bit like how a cow digests its food using four stomachs. The same limited information is re-evaluated from different angles using the introspective instrument whether for inner consistency (Ji) or cohesion with prior trends. Introversion consists of a pause, a removal from the situation, and a distance from it.

Subjectively, I find that the experience of cognitive introversion is not very noisy, but almost anti-noise. Less thoughts are floating around, but those that are… are crisper. There may only be one idea being mulled over at a time, with a focus on quality over quantity.

There are other tangential elements to introversion that may be worth noting:

• Restraint: Introversion will restrain. Whether that means restraining a person back from talking, from acting, or from asserting. This is due to the “not done processing” aspect, and again to the quality > quantity approach. So this restraint is rather accidental. More viscerally, it may even restrain the body from touching the outside. The hands may withdraw to the torso, objects may not be dabble with, etc.
  • Deprivation: This is not the right word for what I mean, but comes close enough. I find it curious that the Big Five model treats introversion/extroversion as a spectrum of positive emotion. Although I think this is not central, I think there is something to it. Introversion is a form of deprivation, and thus has a level of self-denial to it, of what the world offers. It’s sobering. Again this happens incidentally, by the resistance of objects.

So in summary a highly cognitively introverted person will tend not to interface very much, remove themselves from objects, hold only a few ideas in thought at a time, go over those few ideas a lot, checking them for inner consistency and structure with some level of isolation, etc.

For example, all the double-introverted members I’ve typed so far are rather non-participatory on the forum. When they do they come out with one post, which they may have sat on for days. Now I must say that this deeper contemplation says nothing about the possible accuracy/inaccuracy of their thoughts compared to other methodologies. But at the least, in doing so, they usually reflect their views to their highest level of inner fidelity; coming from the entirety of their paradigm/worldview due to having been digested for so long.

This is what introversion is. It’s not so much about the content being you, or someone else, etc. It’s about how information is treated.

p.s. I’m doubly extroverted, so I feel like I spew out posts like popcorn. I’m definitely not a good example of introversion. More like a Pe+Je combo filtered through a lead Ji, with an unholy level of error-allowance which I’d crucify myself for when I was younger, but I’ve internally decided to compromise on for the lucidity now offered.

A double introverted Se-lead (whether that’s you or not) would have the opposite problem. I want to go more into you, as a case study, tomorrow, and present my thoughts more fully. But I felt this post was a necessary preamble.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Auburn.

© Copyright 2012-2020 J.E. Sandoval
SEE HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

DISCLAIMER

The content on this site is not
intended for medical advice, diagnosis,
or treatment. Always seek the advice
of your physician or other qualified
health provider with questions you
may have regarding a medical condition.
For more information visit this link.

SHARE: FACEBOOK, SUPPORT: PATREON