Reply To: Harry Potter's Fictional Type

Home Page Forums Cognitive Functions Harry Potter's Fictional Type Reply To: Harry Potter's Fictional Type

Animal
Participant
  • Type: SeFi
  • Development: lll-
  • Attitude: Unseelie

@faeruss
Thank you, I think you worded well what I was trying to get at.

I might offer that perhaps a better word would be messiah, or something more specific, a particular type of hero. @auburn might have something more specific in mind when he talks of the myth of the Hero.

This is exactly what I’m trying to say, but I lack the Ti or whatever it takes, so  I end up sounding personally offended when that wasn’t my point. Facepalm..

Anyway, that was exactly where I was going with this.

Another source of confusion seems to be a distinction between the myth of the Hero as experienced psychologically vs. whether someone is a hero, if that makes sense. Harry Potter could well be described as a hero, and his story has all the right beats – but he might not think of himself as such, and therein lies the difference.

One could argue that a true hero would never think of themselves as a hero because, in order to be heroic, we need to get beyond our ego. 😀

But as you said – on some level – everyone wants to be a hero. It might mean something different to each person, which is why the lumping of “hero” together with “Fe” is causing confusion.

To reference Auburn’s P-heavy “live and let live” types, people like this can still want to be a hero in some way; maybe to discover something new, free up someone’s soul, have children or save animals, inspire someone as a muse, etc. Assuming people have compassion and are not sociopaths, some part of them wants to use what they have to connect to others and spread the love.

So that’s why I think that wanting to be a hero, or resonating with hero stories, is universal – but we have to be specific about what that means. I don’t , personally, resonate with Black Panther & Danaerys, even though I find their stories full of intrigue and beauty.  Harry Potter is not as complex a character as I would like, but I resonate with his specific hero trajectory, because it involves an adventurous, independent-minded moralistic little brat like myself, stepping up to the plate to enact his values, then going back to doing what he loves.  There’s a huge difference in resonance here, between him vs. the “messiah” hero stories of Kings & Queens, for me.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Animal.
  • This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Animal.

© Copyright 2012-2020 J.E. Sandoval
SEE HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

DISCLAIMER

The content on this site is not
intended for medical advice, diagnosis,
or treatment. Always seek the advice
of your physician or other qualified
health provider with questions you
may have regarding a medical condition.
For more information visit this link.

SHARE: FACEBOOK, SUPPORT: PATREON