Reply To: Harry Potter's Fictional Type

Index Forums Cognitive Functions Harry Potter's Fictional Type Reply To: Harry Potter's Fictional Type

Auburn
Keymaster
  • Type: TiNe
  • Development: l--l
  • Attitude: Adaptive

This topic took multiple turns, so I’ve split the matter of Harry Potter’s fictional type to its own thread.

Firstly I should note that what I said of Harry Potter was: “Less explicitly, we also see an example of Aler in the myths of King Arthur and in Harry Potter, both of whom were able to wield a hallowed sword after being judged as noble and worthy by some supernatural force.”

Notwithstanding that I qualified it by saying Harry Potter was a “less explicit” example of the hero myth, I’ll highlight the elements that I find do fit the narrative.

The Fe hero often begins as undisciplined, uneducated, and yes jovial and aloof. The epic itself is often written as the transformation of an imprudent youth into the character of the Hero King. The fact that he starts out imprudent does not invalidate the myth, but is actually complementary to it. If he started out disciplined, noble and strong there would be no reason to rise, ascend, improve and step into his father’s shoes.

But that still does not subtract from the fact that Harry Potter, as a narrative, is a classic hero journey. I can’t really see a way around this. It’s a typical epic; an odyssey where he’s continually confronted with the forces of evil, has to rise up to the occasion and face his fears. He fights dragons, slays giant snakes, is healed by a phoenix’s tears, becomes his own father (the patronus charm being representative of the Stag, and also of him fathering himself, when he saved himself from the dementors). He is guided by the wise old man/senex Dumbledore, he has a Dark Father figure in Snape, and even a “rival” or adversary in Draco Malfoy. He fits the story of the Hero down to the letter.

What you are focusing on is the attributes of his initial personality. Yet again, the hero journey is not the tale of an already-made hero triumphing over everything, but of someone who becomes the hero through trials, because a divine force has chosen them and given them the responsibility. We see this in Neo from the Matrix as well, as he first starts out uninitiated, as a wimpy computer geek.

Black Panther seems to be a symbol of the King, proper. Or rather, he is a Father Archetype. Now, the hero becomes the Father, so there is overlap too. But in youth the hero is often an undisciplined child.

We may then think about the hero myth as “The Call to Develop Fe/Je” in a sense. Someone consumed by the Fe hero myth (whether or not it’s their lead function) will be driven to that. Again, what I am describing is the myth itself in that section, not the types of the characters necessarily.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Auburn.
  • This reply was modified 1 year, 10 months ago by Auburn.

© Copyright 2012-2020 J.E. Sandoval
SEE HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

DISCLAIMER

The content on this site is not
intended for medical advice, diagnosis,
or treatment. Always seek the advice
of your physician or other qualified
health provider with questions you
may have regarding a medical condition.
For more information visit this link.

SHARE: FACEBOOK, SUPPORT: PATREON