Reply To: Hierarchy (Primary/Auxiliary/Tertiary/Polar)

Home Page Forums Cognitive Functions Hierarchy (Primary/Auxiliary/Tertiary/Polar) Reply To: Hierarchy (Primary/Auxiliary/Tertiary/Polar)

Hrafn
Participant
  • Type: SiFe
  • Development: l-ll
  • Attitude: Adaptive

This all makes sense to me–I’d been wondering about this topic for a while, so I’m thankful for this article.

I should qualify this, though:

We see this also with our members Hrafn and Meta (l-ll) who have an easy time going into Je, despite it not being conscious.

Yes-no…it’s really sort of nuanced. I have an easy time with some Fe-ish things, like being able to speak with conviction, being naturally agreeable & authentic and being able to put people at ease. Yet on the other side of the coin, I can be quite wooden/awkward in some social situations, can lose track of social dynamics, and have sometimes been prone to doing things like getting excited and speaking too loudly. I won’t get sucked into the rabbit-hole of trying to evaluate where I stand vis a vis every single Fe trait…but my point is that my relationship with the function is a mixed bag.

At the very least, though, I can’t say that Ne or Ti are necessarily any easier to use just because they are conscious. In order for my Ne to really let loose, for example, I generally have to feel comfortable in a given social situation. Otherwise, I usually default to more conservative Fe methodologies. By contrast, it seems like some Ne-leads respond to awkward social situations with off-the-wall Ne antics.

If I had to generalize how I perceive my Fe as manifesting in its heirarchical role, I’d say that it usually feels more free & uninhibited than do Ti & Ne. It’s probably less likely to do things that my Si-lead agenda is wary of. I guess this makes sense with the conductor-reviser distinction in CT. Also, I think I’ve mentioned this before, but it seems like because Pi & Je are in opposite EQ’s, the auxiliary is less likely to encroach on the primary’s turf.

It almost feels to me like the true contours of my relationship to the functions is more of a dynamic pattern than a linear ranking. Variables in this pattern include not only heirarchal order, but also level of consciousness and ego-relationship. Even when I think about heirarchy itself, I wonder if there isn’t a bit of complexity arising from the fact that the primary and the polar share the same oscillation. If the primary is a big tree that casts a long shadow, the polar is a much smaller tree growing right next to it. Because of this, the polar must strain to grow out of the primary’s shadow…yet it has some advantage in that it’s of the same species as the primary. The auxiliary is a different kind of tree at the opposite end of the yard, where it can sort of do its own thing because the shadow has less influence on its growth.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Hrafn.

© Copyright 2012-2020 J.E. Sandoval
SEE HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

DISCLAIMER

The content on this site is not
intended for medical advice, diagnosis,
or treatment. Always seek the advice
of your physician or other qualified
health provider with questions you
may have regarding a medical condition.
For more information visit this link.

SHARE: FACEBOOK, SUPPORT: PATREON