Reply To: God, Patterns, and Reality

Home Page Forums Spirituality & Philosophy God, Patterns, and Reality Reply To: God, Patterns, and Reality

Auburn
Keymaster
  • Type: TiNe
  • Development: l--l
  • Attitude: Adaptive

This “man in the sky” Santa Clause figure exists only in the imaginations of militant atheists.

I find this to be a very clever inversion, nice. 😉

But I think what most atheist mean to object to when they say “man in the sky” is not to a God with a literal, corporeal form and a white beard. It’s to the idea of a “personal God” generally speaking: to one that can hear your prayers, one that has a concern for whether or not you get the job you want, whether or not your child gets cured of cancer, etc. The “father please watch over Robert, and his son who’s going through a rough time right now” type of God. And this is not a minority view among those who believe in God, as far as I can tell.

And the objections raised by atheist about it seem warranted, since it requires a lot more variables to justify a personal God’s existence; one that favors homo sapiens on planet earth. That takes many more assumptions than a deistic sort of entity that is an animated “whole” or a meta-pattern as @faeruss eloquently put it. I quite like those versions of God better.

How would you define God @faerie ?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Auburn.

© Copyright 2012-2020 J.E. Sandoval
SEE HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

DISCLAIMER

The content on this site is not
intended for medical advice, diagnosis,
or treatment. Always seek the advice
of your physician or other qualified
health provider with questions you
may have regarding a medical condition.
For more information visit this link.

SHARE: FACEBOOK, SUPPORT: PATREON