Reply To: Articles: New

Home Page Forums Official & Introductions Articles: New Reply To: Articles: New

Faeruss
Participant
  • Type: FeNi
  • Development: llll
  • Attitude: Directive

To continue the discussion and analysis, and offer a useful and contrasting experience, Linus (a TiNe with, I posit, Si conscious) has written his reactions point-by-point to both the Ji and Pi articles:

Pi: Global narratives

About the rote memorization, I don’t lean towards it either. I will do it, it’s important, but it’s more of a conscious choice than an automatic proclivity. I will remember particular details that are important or that capture my attention. However, they’re not exactly the point to me: the point is figuring out the context, where they fit in within a bigger narrative. This also comes with an awareness that particular details can appear different if you change the narrative, and a lot of my rambling is not so much about the details, but about setting up the context through which the details are understood – even if that context is set up through a gestalt of numerous particular details. This also is where that interest of the “evolution of ideas [or things, I’d rather say] over generations or centuries” comes from.  I like knowing the endurance of patterns and the contingency of details, but also the contingency of patterns. Overall, I don’t like things (ideas, “facts”, structures, manners, actions, objects) being presented to me as isolated or as givens, because they never are: they have a context and history that needs to be known.

Pi: Philosophy and counsel

Haha, I just realized that I was philosophising above! I guess I don’t have much to say about this since I already elaborated above; I’ll just focus on some particulars. I agree with the need to have an explanatory framework, and a lot of my frustrations come from often not having one (which is fine, that’s life). But I don’t think this framework needs to be monolithic; it should be dynamic, having nuance, multiple components, and different levels of truth. (If anybody reduces this perspective to “my” “Ne/Si polytheism”, I’ll blow a fuse.)

And, yeah, that grandfatherly energy things applies. I could give examples, but the point is that often people assume that if I say something is so, then it probably is, and that they can come to me for perspective and advice….which is unfortunate, since I’m only 21….

Pi: Steadiness and temperance

One of my best friends is SiTe, and I know that by comparison I have a Pe devil that’s itching to do something impulsive and fun or disastrous, which is why he beats me at board games…. I think there’s a part of me that takes everything lightly… except for the things that aren’t to be taken lightly, haha! And, regarding those things, I’m not inclined to rush or to change. Things need to be done at the right time, when the situation is appropriate and they’ve had a chance to mature. (That need for proper context comes in again, you see.) And perhaps some things never need to change: it’s idiotic to think that just because something is new, it’s also better. In any case, I think this groundedness goes hand-in-hand with my lightness: in knowing to differentiate between what is important and what is not, I realize that most things are pretty trivial and can enjoy them as such…while also being aware of the importance of the trivial…. I don’t know, man, life’s complicated.

Pi: Probabilities and predictions

I mean, hardly a week passes without me mentioning how I expect the housing market to collapse any moment now….. But, yeah, I expect the future to be like the past, which means I base my expectations, for better or worse, on what I’ve seen so far, which also means that, if I don’t have enough information, I’m not likely to make any predictions for the future (here’s that steadiness and temperance). At the same time, I’m aware that the past is often fairly contingent, so I make the same assumption for the future – the eternity of contingency. I guess what I’ve learned from the past is that we can never fully know what to expect, so we just need to do the best with what we’re given in the moment.

Ji: Identity and individualism

So I get “longing to embody whatever would be the most perfect and beautiful manifestation of themselves according to a[n] ideal they envision in terms of ethical values, character and aesthetic”. Yeah, I want to be the best I can be, and according to standards that are true to me. But I would deemphasize the “to me” part that takes on the sense some concern with my own identity as a unique being – something I’m not particularly concerned about. Sure, I should be honest about who I am and such things, but that’s not really an end in itself. Instead I seek to model myself based on ideals – rather than the other way around.

Ji: Idealism

I have some trouble with “the purely rational sense of wanting what is fully aligned to reason”; I don’t believe in capital-R reason. I think “the sense of wanting what is fully aligned to principles” may be a more accurate description. As for myself, I think this applies, as I’m often zealous for what is “true” or “right” over what is “realistic” or “expedient”. But, except when I’m revising, I don’t think I’m inclined to lock myself in a castle in the sky. I want my ideals to exist in the real world and not in my head: if they don’t actually lead to any change, are they real?

(That being said, while I do care for my principles, I do realize that just because people aren’t with me according to some perfect standard, they’re not necessarily against me, and we can understand each other. I’m not a bigot.)

Ji: Nobility and conscience

I don’t like that this section begins by associating Ji idealism with low self-esteem. Sure, there will be feelings of inadequacy whenever you hold an ideal, but it’s a choice whether or not to let them overwhelm you; of course, you also have to be careful what ideals you choose. Overall, I think this section is permeated by a solipsistic negativity. Nonetheless, I do hold myself to high standards, which can make me very stubborn. I once read a story about two samurai who, when parting ways, promised to meet again at a certain place and time. One of them was captured and put in prison, making him unable to meet his friend; so he committed suicide in prison so that his spirit may escape and meet his friend. This is a story I keep in mind for its practical lessons. Now, while I do value “authenticity, transparency, self-knowledge and truth”, I’m not particularly irresponsible, lacking follow-through or neglectful, because I also value being “dependable, hard working, patient and dependable”.

By the way, I’m unsure how authentic, transparent, and self-aware a person is if they’re constantly trying to obliterate (or “purify”) or mask themselves in order to alleviate distress.

Ji: Pickiness and perfectionism

Yeah, I do this too. My previous paragraphs should show how picky I can be. And I prefer quality over quantity. But, as I was saying earlier in the “temperance and steadiness” section of Pi, I’m pretty easy-going about most things, so it really depends on if I value the thing enough to give my attention to it.

© Copyright 2012-2020 J.E. Sandoval
SEE HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

DISCLAIMER

The content on this site is not
intended for medical advice, diagnosis,
or treatment. Always seek the advice
of your physician or other qualified
health provider with questions you
may have regarding a medical condition.
For more information visit this link.

SHARE: FACEBOOK, SUPPORT: PATREON