Reply To: NiTe – Teal Swan & The Ego

Home Page Forums Vultology & Learning Center NiTe – Teal Swan & The Ego Reply To: NiTe – Teal Swan & The Ego

Animal
Participant
  • Type: SeFi
  • Development: lll-
  • Attitude: Unseelie

Lay typologists often have an “N” ego and find refuge in typology for the validation it gives that ego image. It allows them to preserve a self-concept of higher importance by weaving together a story of “Why I was not understood in the world.” The reason, they infer, is that they are intuitive and others aren’t, and so they see things in a way others don’t, which is why they are outcast and misunderstood.

I’m definitely N ego, but I have never fallen prey to this type of thinking. The idea that 1/4 of the world is N first, means right away it isn’t special.  Same with enneagram types.  My ego tells me 😉 that being special involves something way beyond embodying a type in a system invented by a third party.

The problem lies with the definitions of Se and Si – which are not always so great. Jung’s Si was a bit better and more abstract, but his Se was not something most people would pin on someone like me.

When I first got into typology, I was focused on learning enneagram and allowed others to type my functions if they wanted.  I was advised right away that I had to be “N dom.” People argued whether I was Ne or Ni; I went with “tentatively NFP” although I never related to a Ne description, but Fi seemed better.

The minute I looked into functions myself, I said “Nope, Se. I’m ISFP.”  I typed as ISFP for a couple years, only to be told by others that I had a false conception of myself, that I was such an obvious intuitor.  The pressure became so great that I started wondering: what if I really am seeing myself wrongly?  By the time I got here, I was considering both FeNi and FiSe.

I do have some reasons for reconsidering Se.  I’m more about inner passions, music etc – than anything worldly.  I’m more in my heart and art than in my body.  I don’t care for food or “hookups” without romance and connection.  I’m no good at sports, I suck at drawing and dancing no matter how hard I try, and I am not cut out for stunts either. Cars, physical items etc; don’t hold power for me.  I need my living space  and clothes to reflect my inner world so that my lifestyle is conducive to my creative and spiritual endeavors, but I don’t need to “have expensive items” or collect nick nacks. Nothing material or body-oriented is my focus; I don’t even like to cook, or wear makeup or heels.

But I figured I was a sensor because I’m a kinetic learner. I learn by doing, I think with my hands.  I’m a vessel through which passion emerges. When I’m playing or listening to music, I am the song.  My body is a canvas through which to express my inner self. Aesthetics are essential to my being.  For most of my life, I obsessed over tangible projects that I poured my soul into – albums, novels, videos.  I find music, art, and anecdotal stories much more natural than describing anything in words.  Socially, I’m much more natural in person than online. I talk much less, but communicate much more. I read people through body language, feel their feelings and sense their state of mind and inner life.

I thought for these reasons I’d be a sensor, but the reason I didn’t type as Se first is because of being told (many times, correctly) that I suck at anything physical or visual. My parents make fun of me for being clumsy, awkward in my body and not knowing what looks good on me, and I internalized this, even though many others have appreciated my style. My mother did point out that when I would invent a certain style and wear it to school, others would copy; I was a trendsetter. But from my pov, I wasn’t noticing trends; I was simply expressing my inner self. So I figured, FiSe; based on how I’ve acted in my life.

The only reason I considered N is because I was bullied and wrankled on several forums 😀  and I eventually caved into the idea that maybe I wasn’t seeing myself correctly and ought to consider other options.  I understood too well that it’s difficult to see yourself objectively, since so many people mistyped – and I did not see myself as ‘above’ mistyping; as it’s unrealistic.

Perhaps my Se-Te ‘realism’ plays into my typing process too. “Why would N make someone special if 1/4 of the world is N dominant?” and “Real life experience has shown me people have trouble seeing themselves clearly” – are part of my thinking pattern when typing myself.   Also, S types have a better chance of being noticeably ‘special’ because at least, that archetype would give us the edge on expressing our inner uniqueness through our appearance 🙂  And this is why I personally don’t fall prey to such trains of thought, even if I can still be wrong.  I’ll ask myself, how do these functions and categories play out in the real world?

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Animal.

© Copyright 2012-2020 J.E. Sandoval
SEE HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

DISCLAIMER

The content on this site is not
intended for medical advice, diagnosis,
or treatment. Always seek the advice
of your physician or other qualified
health provider with questions you
may have regarding a medical condition.
For more information visit this link.

SHARE: FACEBOOK, SUPPORT: PATREON