Reply To: Why most typology models are non-cognitive

Index Forums Cognitive Functions Why most typology models are non-cognitive Reply To: Why most typology models are non-cognitive

Alice
Participant
  • Type: FiSe
  • Development: ll--
  • Attitude: Unseelie

This may be unrelated, and I think I might harp on him a lot, but it seems like you are undergoing what Carl Rogers defined as development through the human process. He theorized that as we grow we challenge deeply embedded constructs in our psyches, and as a result, we come to appreciate ambiguity, contradiction, and holding multiple exclusive ideas at the same time. He calls it richness, and becoming more of a human being, more of oneself, and he makes sure to tell his readers that it is not for the faint of heart.

The kind of broadening taking place here in order to do a better job at something smaller is a good example of this kind of trajectory, I think. The theory needed to be humbler, less broad, in order to accomplish more. Paradoxically, it also zooms out – instead of studying the phenomenology of chunked sections of the human experience, we are now dealing with something broader, but purer. We’re just dealing with the whole of human phonomenology. Not by breaking into computable pieces with awkward divisions, but by devising a tool that will allow us to interact with it as a whole. Thus we can retain the richness of the whole experience, and be able to talk about whole selves and the natural aspects of each of us, not just artifice that is layered on top of what is already observable.

That got a little abstract and maybe hard to grasp, but I hope that made sense. This theory is getting more mature and deep, more interested in the genuine study of humanity over the study of broad constructs, and it is refeshing and genuinely exciting to see.

© Copyright 2012-2020 J.E. Sandoval
SEE HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

DISCLAIMER

The content on this site is not
intended for medical advice, diagnosis,
or treatment. Always seek the advice
of your physician or other qualified
health provider with questions you
may have regarding a medical condition.
For more information visit this link.

SHARE: FACEBOOK, SUPPORT: PATREON