Reply To: How do you experience a “flow state”?

Index Forums Ask a Demographic How do you experience a “flow state”? Reply To: How do you experience a “flow state”?

Hrafn
Participant
  • Type: SiFe
  • Development: l-ll
  • Attitude: Adaptive

The most common way I can achieve a flow-state—or come very close anyway—is when I’m telemark skiing. I think this is because it’s one of only a few activities I can think of that I have a very high level of skill at. The experience of it the feeling of adapting to & responding to the terrain around me in a fluid, fast-paced, 1:1 way. Im more likely to get into this zone if the terrain is challenging and requires a certain amount of precision. There’s a particular sensation that goes with this state—or comes right afterward—it’s a feeling i associate with relaxed engagement/contentment that radiates deep into my lumbar & lower torso. There’s a steepish gladed piste not far from my house that I try to ski & hike back up several times a week during the winter. I’ve found it really helps to keep me on-keel during the dark winter months. The downshot is that if I’m out of the zone on a particular day—flubbing, uncoordinated—it can be very frustrating.

I’m pretty intellectual, but I can’t think of getting flow-like states very much from intellectual activity—it’s too meticulous, and not always stimulating in a holistic way. Maybe the closest is when I’ve felt really inspired to write something like a poem or a story, and I don’t have to think too much about what I’m doing—-there’s a positive pressure of ideas wanting to bubble outward as words.  Sometimes when I’m smoking weed I can have some very intense & mind-blowing trails of thought, because my way of thinking is off kilter from normal (ha ha, yes I know this sounds like delusions of stoned grandeur) but it’s generally not what I’d think of as a flow-state, since I usually don’t do anything to direct or express these outwardly. I can get in a deeply-engaged zone from drawing or painting, and I think if I practiced it more, developed more skill at it I could get pretty flowing with it.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Hrafn.
  • This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Hrafn.

© Copyright 2012-2020 J.E. Sandoval
SEE HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

DISCLAIMER

The content on this site is not
intended for medical advice, diagnosis,
or treatment. Always seek the advice
of your physician or other qualified
health provider with questions you
may have regarding a medical condition.
For more information visit this link.

SHARE: FACEBOOK, SUPPORT: PATREON