Reply To: The evolutionary benefit of instrumental religious truths – Discussion

Index Forums Spirituality & Philosophy The evolutionary benefit of instrumental religious truths – Discussion Reply To: The evolutionary benefit of instrumental religious truths – Discussion

Grayishness
Participant
  • Type:
  • Development:
  • Attitude:

Ah, I remember reading a book called “Spiral Dynamics” which expanded on Richard Dawkin’s idea of a “meme” along with some research done by a psychologist named Clare Graves. In the book they outlined the evolutionary values that we’ve developed in parallel to our cultures and (I’m assuming) religions throughout history. That being said, preserving religious ideas in my opinion isn’t as important as preserving the values or “memes” that arises as a result of those ancient religious ideas.

In fact, I agree with Auburn to an extent simply because one of the “memes” we’ve developed over the past couple of centuries is scientific thought/truth, and behaving as if previous religious ideas is true would be counterproductive to that meme and therefore would inhibit growth. The way we receive the social and evolutionary benefits of ancient religious ideas is by integrating the positive values/culture that was produced and is (according to Dawkins, Graves, etc.) still embedded within our genome. We do not have to behave as if they were true to do so, but instead adapt those values to our current understanding of culture and reality. Things like initiation and ritual/tradition for an example, can be adapted into our lifestyle without stepping on the toes of our present and future “memes”.

© Copyright 2012-2020 J.E. Sandoval
SEE HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

DISCLAIMER

The content on this site is not
intended for medical advice, diagnosis,
or treatment. Always seek the advice
of your physician or other qualified
health provider with questions you
may have regarding a medical condition.
For more information visit this link.

SHARE: FACEBOOK, SUPPORT: PATREON