Reply To: Psychological Surveys

Index Forums General Psychology Psychological Surveys Reply To: Psychological Surveys

fayest42
Participant
  • Type: FiNe
  • Development: ll--
  • Attitude: Unseelie

I didn’t take a screenshot, but my results were:

Ji: 3.5/12
Pi: 3/12
Je: 2/12
Pe: 1.5/12

I think in reality my behavior matches the predicted profile of my vultological energetics quite well, but that wasn’t necessarily captured by the results of the survey – except for the fact that I did get the highest score in Ji, which is a win.

Probably the biggest issue for me was the issue I have with almost every psychological survey I take – I found it hard to answer many of the questions because I wanted to answer “It depends” to everything, and I rarely answered “strongly agree” or “strongly disagree” for anything. Is that in and of itself a Ji trait? Or maybe Ne, actually. Or a combination – because I really want to be accurate in my answers and I immediately see both sides of each question, so it’s hard to answer them.

Some thoughts I had about the individual questions:

“People have told me that I can come across as pushy and bossy.”

For this one, if I were only answering from the perspective of the majority of people I’ve known, I would answer “strongly disagree,” but I know that in my very close relationships (like with family or romantic partners), I do actually have this trait somewhat. I wonder if this might be related to heartitude though.

“There is no need to rush into something until one has understood the situation sufficiently.”

Is this Pi or Ji? It seems like it could be either. I definitely agree with this statement, and I am sometimes paralyzed in inaction because I’m trying to make sure I understand things sufficiently before I act.

“I am nitpicky about what I do, and either put in the time to do something perfectly or not at all.”

I assume this is meant to be Ji, but I actually don’t think this describes me well. I guess it’s just stated so strongly that it becomes un-relatable to me. There are lots of things I do a half-assed job at, but I don’t feel good about it. I would relate more to something like “It’s difficult for me to finish things because I struggle with accepting that what I’ve done is good enough” or “There are certain things that I get very nitpicky about, and it’s hard for me to let the little imperfections go.”

“My pursuit for a personal identity that matches me best has taken me far from my starting culture and background.”

This is another one that was perhaps just stated too strongly for me. If I just read this in a description of Ji, I would relate to it because there are a lot of things I believe or do that are not mainstream in my culture, but I didn’t feel like I could honestly agree or strongly agree with this statement on the survey because in most major ways I’m still very much a part of the culture and family I grew up in. I still live in the country I was born in, I got married and have a kid as is often expected of women my age, I bought a house in a little midwestern town like the one I grew up in, etc. I’m not really hugely different than other people in my culture. I’m just a bit eccentric perhaps because I like to let weeds grow in my lawn instead of grass, and I had a home birth, and I sleep on the floor instead of in a bed, etc. I guess it’s just a matter of degree, and perhaps it’s my Ji that makes it hard for me to agree that I’m really that far from my starting culture and background.

“No compromise is a good compromise.”

This is another one that I think might be aimed at Ji, but that I didn’t really agree with. I think one problem here is that when I hear “compromise” in this sentence I imagine being in a minor disagreement with someone and compromising (e.g. I want to have tacos for dinner and my husband wants to have pizza, so we agree to have one for dinner tonight and the other for dinner tomorrow night), and I’m definitely in favor of that. It’s compromising my ideals that I struggle with (e.g. I think home schooling is the ideal way to educate your kid, but I don’t think I can mentally handle the workload, so I’m going to compromise by sending him to Montessori school).

Another issue with this question, which I think might be a problem with any question that relates to your beliefs rather than your behavior, is that sometimes what your logical brains believes in theory and what some deeper part of your brain (your cognitive functions) pushes on you might be different things. The logical part of my brain believes that in theory compromising your ideals is sometimes the right thing to do. But there is a deeper part of my brain (Ji, I suppose) that tries really hard to sabotage that belief and make me feel terrible every time I consider compromising my ideals.

“We should exercise caution when attempting to discard things that have persisted for a long time.”

Maybe it’s just me, but this one seems too easy to agree with even if you don’t have strong Pi. Isn’t this just common sense? I mean – it’s not saying that we shouldn’t discard things that have persisted for a long time, or that the fact that they have existed for a long time is reason enough to keep them around, but just that we should have caution when discarding them. And of course we should, right? Because if they’ve been around for a long time they probably have deep connections to things that aren’t obvious and so discarding them will have non-obvious consequences that we should be prepared for. I don’t know, maybe I just have stronger Pi than I thought.

“I have a fixation on purity, causing me to struggle to do or say anything that feels impure to me.”

This is another one where I know that I have the Ji behavior that this is referring to, but the way it’s worded makes it hard for me to agree with. Saying you have a fixation on purity sounds like being a member of the Aryan Youth or something. I think for me it would be more accurate (ha) to say “I have a fixation on accuracy, causing me to struggle to do or say anything that feels inaccurate to me,” however I’m guessing that that version of it wouldn’t be relatable to all Ji folks. Maybe better would be “I have a fixation on being true to myself, causing me to struggle to do or say anything that feels like it’s not me.”

“I’m always picking up new crafts and skills, even though I also abandon the ones I’ve already learned.”

I really wanted to agree with this one because I know it’s probably trying to pick up an aspect of Pe that I know I have, but I couldn’t really agree because for me this behavior doesn’t really manifest in crafts or skills or things I physically do, but moreso in interests (i.e. just stuff I like to learn about).

“I don’t understand how to get to where I’m going, but I trust my inner sense of alignment to guide me.”

Is this supposed to be Ji? I don’t really relate to it at all. I wish I knew where I was going, and I don’t expect my inner sense of alignment to necessarily lead me anywhere I want to go.

One idea that occurs to me is that perhaps these energetics might captured more accurately if we focused on people’s flaws and what they struggle with. Like, anyone might enjoy variety and a feeling of newness, but it’s going to be the people with strong Pe who need it so much that it causes problems in their lives. Similarly, anyone might agree that we should be cautious when discarding things that have been around for a long time, but it’s going to be folks strong in Pi who believe this so deeply that they sometimes struggle to let go of old ideas that they really ought to let go of. Does that make sense?

© Copyright 2012-2020 J.E. Sandoval
SEE HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

DISCLAIMER

The content on this site is not
intended for medical advice, diagnosis,
or treatment. Always seek the advice
of your physician or other qualified
health provider with questions you
may have regarding a medical condition.
For more information visit this link.

SHARE: FACEBOOK, SUPPORT: PATREON