Reply To: “Art” is not related to Ji nor “Variety” to Pe.

Home Page Forums Cognitive Functions “Art” is not related to Ji nor “Variety” to Pe. Reply To: “Art” is not related to Ji nor “Variety” to Pe.

Animal
Participant
  • Type: SeFi
  • Development: lll-
  • Attitude: Unseelie

@EpicEntity

When it comes to MBTI/Socionics/CT/Jung, I’ve always been a holistic thinker. I don’t separate those into separate systems but rather use them all as stepping stones to get to the ‘one truth.’ Before I found CT, my husband and I, and a few close friends, were already working on a synthetic model. Due to this, we had typed many people based on nothing but personality and words (although we were starting to pick up visual cues), and most of the types came out identical to the ones Auburn picked out through vultology.

In general, I synthesize things into one greater worldview. When it comes to Cognition, the study helps me tremendously with grasping nuances in how different characters understand the world. My main character is Ji lead for sure, and very likely a Beta. For a while, I asked @Ivory for input. He would read a paragraph and say he didn’t relate, and I would ask for details on how he might think about it. Then I didn’t need to ask him anymore, or not as often, because I got the point of how Ji works, how Beta sees things, etc. Perhaps 80% of the book already fit this – which is why I typed her TiSe. But there were some nuances in her thinking that I missed.  Same goes for other characters who I was better able to hone in. I don’t write types, I write characters and type them later. But sometimes I miss nuances in how the character’s mind might be communicated in words. It’s very easy for me to write third-person characters, because I observe people day to day and so I know “what kind of person they are,” how they look and seem, etc; but when I’m inside someone’s head it’s really important to understand these nuances in their thinking.

As for Enneagram it wove into the book even more deeply. I have my own system of symbols, and it works into religious archetypes in my story. Enneagram gave me some more depth and backbone to work from. My model is not enneagram – it’s different – but the premises have some overlap and it has helped me tremendously to expand the model. I can’t say much more until the book is published.  But I’ve studied enneagram in depth for 8 years and loosely for 17. It is simply part of my world view now, and the same applies to what I said above: I write characters and type them later, but enneagram helps me understand their nuances.  Both of these systems also allow me more language for nuance when it comes to symbolism.  I don’t do 1:1 “textbook explanations.” It’s more of a worldview that wove so deeply into my mindset that it became automatic; like a language that I learned, except it’s the language of the universe.

My work didn’t change “each time” – it’s an ongoing process.

Re: your phone – I can’t answer that without first defining what you mean by ‘art.’  To me, anything can be done artfully, but to be an artist means you hone in on an artistic craft (writing, music, visual arts) and create concrete works. Debating the ‘meaning’ of art could go on forever, and it’s subjective. The word has become meaningless because if going out to get a new phone is ‘art,’ then what do you call people slaving away for decades to master and create something as a career?

To me, “art” is a specific thing that doesn’t have to describe every activity that someone does well. Think of it this way: if someone goes to art school, what do they do in class? They do not earn an art school degree by buying phones. They do paintings, drawings, video, photoshop, music, sculpture, bookmaking, writing, performing and so forth.  Pretty simple delineation.

The problem is, we have “Liberal Arts,” etc. Every field is called “Arts.” So maybe everything is “the art of” something, in which case being an artist in the “art school” and “professional, masterful and dedicated videographer/painter/musician” sense requires a different term. Basically, before deciding if something is art, we first must agree on what art IS. Describing ‘the art of buying phones’ vs. ‘the art that is a result of masterful craft, personal expression and laborious effort’ are simply not the same thing.

There are many people in the world who have scientific minds – they seek cold, hard data; they seek fundamental underpinnings, equations, etc. Then they may read some pop sci magazines and books on science. But still, they do not call themselves a ‘scientist,’ unless they make the decision to work in that profession, which often requires school, a degree, concrete experiments, papers, etc – not to mention that when you commit to a profession, you sacrifice the chance to take on other professions. People with scientific minds don’t generally call themselves scientists because they have respect for what career scientists went through to get where they are.  But for some reason, people don’t have this same respect for career artists. They think everyone and their mother is an artist, so they expect hard-working dedicated artists – who sacrificed all else to pursue the arts – to give their art away for free. I refuse to play along with this ruse.

• This reply was modified 7 months ago by Animal.

© Copyright 2012-2020 J.E. Sandoval
SEE HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

DISCLAIMER

The content on this site is not
intended for medical advice, diagnosis,
or treatment. Always seek the advice
of your physician or other qualified
health provider with questions you
may have regarding a medical condition.
For more information visit this link.