Reply To: “Art” is not related to Ji nor “Variety” to Pe.

Home Page Forums Cognitive Functions “Art” is not related to Ji nor “Variety” to Pe. Reply To: “Art” is not related to Ji nor “Variety” to Pe.

Animal
Participant
  • Type: SeFi
  • Development: lll-
  • Attitude: Unseelie

@Auburn

Makes sense. I like real data 😀

My last post was probably most important when it comes to my meaning, especially the content following the third paragraph, “Everyone and their mother thinks they’re an artist.” Bottom line: to call yourself a doctor or a scientist, you go through years of schooling, work with clients and get employed in a field. One can be an expert without school and certificates, but no one would call themselves a ‘physicist’ lightly in this scenario, unless they spend their whole life studying physics and putting it to use. Likewise, there is a difference between those who indulge the arts when the inspiration strikes vs. those who spend countless hours over several decades mastering a craft and manifesting a vision.  These categories are not the same.  Most wouldn’t dare point this out – people get self righteous and start defending their artist status – yet in any other field, the differentiation between ‘inspiration’ and ‘perspiration’ is obvious.  If the categorization ‘artist’ was not thrown around so frivolously, it would be obvious then that no ‘type’ is naturally an artist – because like every other field, becoming an artist requires work. No one is born as an expert in anything, not even art.

I woke up with this thought in my head for clarification.

1. “What is an artist?”

• Some say an artist is someone who makes art, even if only sporadically or for a hobby.
  • Some say there’s an art to seduction, negotiating, socializing and living. Everyone is an artist (which renders the term meaningless).
  • Some say an artist is someone who masters a craft, regardless if the work they take on is original.
  • Some say an artist is someone who lives and breathes their art, who dedicates their entire life their craft and their visions no matter what else gets in the way. No sacrifice is too great to fulfill this calling.

(Regardless how we choose to define artist, I am the latter, always have been and always will be.)

2. What is artistic temperament?

• Some would go by the artists archetype, which is purely Pe. If you look up the archetype of an artist on any website, like Michael’s archetypes or Jung’s creator archetype – you will see a description of a scattered inspired person who is too Pe for their own good. But they live to capture inspiration.

(I don’t relate to this archetype for the sheer reason that I’m too dedicated and committed as a person to fit this scatterbrained or oversensitive style. It may apply more often to the many enneagram 7 Pe’s in the world. But it is Pe.)

• Some would say it’s the romantic who finds the beauty in the world and taps into its rhythm, who feels the heartbeat in the wind and feels the meaning of colors and elements in their bones. Someone who hears the crisp fall of snow and dances to the music, or hears an orchestra forming around it and runs home to write the rest of the song. Whose every emotion can be translated to colors and shapes, who doesn’t need a human love interest to feel  romantic toward life itself. And this trope would have a deeply animistic and symbolic relationship with the environment and a natural attunement to aesthetics, which contributes to the sensory aspects of arts.

(Different types might fit romanticism, but what I’m describing is potentially a shade of SeFi. I say this because the sensual flow of Se fuels an ever expanding world view  (Ni) so that the elements link to a symbolic way of mapping the inner emotions (Fi) and navigating everything in the world. This experience of flow and meaning bleeds into my work in every medium. “So carnal it’s spiritual.” Refining my skills to  explore and express  its meaning requires dedication, but the presence of romanticism in everything I do is automatic. That deep passionate relationship with the world is why my home planet is Erosia.)

• Some would say it’s the perfectionist that strains their fingers painting, empties their desperate soul into writing, someone who needs this process like oxygen. I know people of all types who fit this profile, but again it seems most common to PeJi and JiPe. Theres a striving perfectionist here. Someone absolutely and desperately, obsessively dedicated to getting it right, getting their vision out there, refining their craft.

(I relate to this trope fully.)

I don’t think it’s right to say all JiSe II are like this last profile. Ivory does not have the patience for this refined picky process, except when the inspiration happens upon him. He always says as a kid he just wanted to play. He has very refined thoughts moment to moment, but minimal frustration tolerance because his perfectionism is so great that he gets tired from overthinking each step of his life. So despite a lot of natural talent, he never dedicated himself to the arts, as he would prefer to spend his free time unwinding and exploring topics that interest him in the moment.

The JiSe II descriptions account for serious dedicated artists, such as Jared Leto, who clearly will sacrifice everything to actualize his visions at any cost.  Yet I am like this too, but for Pe leads, there’s no room for this.  While Pe descriptions account for the thrill of inspiration and the wild creator archetype, they preclude laborious commitment due to the emphasis on variety and new things. This trivializes the lifelong dedication that some Pe leads have to mastering one thing, even when it isn’t fun. Art can be a grueling, boring, repetitive process, 99% perspiration- and many Pe leads, including myself, obsessively and obstinately dedicate themselves to this process with minimal immediate payback in the hopes of realizing a vision. Spreading oneself thin between multiple interests would not reap the kind of results that you get from Trent Reznor or Jeff Beck.

There may be more tropes but I listed the ones I hear about most. It seems to me that a small percentage of the population actually puts in their ten thousand hours of laborious refinement in the arts and commits to it seriously over the course of decades, so it should not be the leading crux of a description. It also seems if JiSe II has an artists shade, some of the Pe types should also have an artists shade, since this matches reality. Given my level of absolute lifelong dedication and commitment and slaving over my craft, and seeing Trent Reznor’s level of refinement with no J development at all, I am confused why “variety and taking on tons of new interests” is considered so integral to the Se lead mind. Maybe it’s a Ne thing, the need to spread out, but there are too many exceptions among Se leads for this to be a rule.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by Animal.

© Copyright 2012-2020 J.E. Sandoval
SEE HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

DISCLAIMER

The content on this site is not
intended for medical advice, diagnosis,
or treatment. Always seek the advice
of your physician or other qualified
health provider with questions you
may have regarding a medical condition.
For more information visit this link.