Reply To: “Art” is not related to Ji nor “Variety” to Pe.

Home Page Forums Cognitive Functions “Art” is not related to Ji nor “Variety” to Pe. Reply To: “Art” is not related to Ji nor “Variety” to Pe.

Animal
Participant
  • Type: SeFi
  • Development: lll-
  • Attitude: Unseelie

@LadyNerdsky

For me, personal anecdotes are immensely helpful. Type is not some abstract theory – it’s something that describes real people with personal, individual stories. Obviously, no pressure to tell your story if you don’t want to. But I personally find theoretical, abstract models that are about people fairly useless without seeing how the concepts pan out for real people.  On my forum, we encourage personal sharing to any degree that someone is comfortable with, as it illustrates how this type plays out in reality rather than just discussing distant abstract generalizations. That’s just how I work, so my intention is not to “make it about me” but to make my point clear. Like I said, many other Pe lead artists present this way too, but my story is the one I know best.

Perhaps it’s my Se, but I find personal, tangible reality much more graspable than ideology.  So I am sorry if you were offended by the personal anecdote – this has happened to me with JiNe countless times. But my intent was to gain more understanding, and to offer elaboration on my meaning. Trust me, I did not come even close to sharing my ‘resume.’ It’s quite extensive. The idea was not to focus on my accomplishments, but to make the point that long before I developed Ji, my perfectionistic dedication to the arts was made manifest in concrete ways, that met realistic objective standards. (That being said, after reading your reply, I shortened my personal anecdote so it might be more palatable.)

Everyone and their mother thinks they’re an artist these days, but most don’t have the stamina to practice perfecting their craft for countless hours each day for decades on end, nor to fight to realize their vision at any cost.  To be a doctor, someone goes to college, then medical school. They accumulate debt, suffer through unbearable hours in residency and then remain dedicated in their work, often living frugally for a long time while they pay back the debts.  Realizing artistic visions requires the same dedication. It’s not just some wave of inspiration – it’s a life commitment. One which I feel is being belittled when descriptions depict some type as ‘artists by nature.’ No one is an artist by nature – many have natural talents, but a true artist is someone who dedicates their life to producing art. These days, people consider themselves artists whether or not this is the case, and I guess that’s fine, but there is a huge gap between their idea of an ‘artist’ and mine. For me, the practice of art is a reality – and usually a boring, repetitive, frustrating one which does not reap rewards for a long time.

I intend to differentiate my lifelong commitment to my vision from ‘dabbling for fun,’  ‘trying a new experiment’ or ‘getting thrills’ as it has been described in the Pe descriptions. For me and the Pe artists I listed, this commitment is not frivolous. But I also feel like, if I don’t list concrete examples, people will just roll their eyes at the idea that I am really serious about this, because I’ve been typed as Pe. And they will not understand the differentiation that I’m making between ‘a talented person taking on some projects for a while’ and a lifelong, concrete, unrelenting dedication to the arts.  So I hope I made my point clear.

I would love to hear your story if and only if you feel comfortable telling it, of course. If not, I take your word for what you said, and I am sorry you have gone through that.

Life doesn’t work out the way we want, regardless of how hard we try or how much we want it.

This is just not an attitude I’m able to take on. I’ve been chronically ill for 24 years, so I can say with confidence that I know perfectly well that life “doesn’t work out the way we want” – but as long as I am breathing, I will strive to the utmost of my capacity to live my dreams, because I don’t feel there is any other point in living. If I really could not live my dreams at all, I would not go on. I’m not saying this to be melodramatic; I don’t want to die at all, but I don’t see any problem with ending my life rather than living as the undead.  And I’ll sacrifice my involvement with absolutely everything else on Earth toward that end.  That’s just my personal view on it though. I was put on this Earth with a passion that consumes me and burns me alive – so I believe that passion is my path, and it’s up to me to be realistic in carving it so that it’s sustainable (ie. getting a job to support my arts if I am physically capable of working, being diligent about caring for my health, etc). No matter what, I find a way to manifest my visions, even if it’s not with the budget and speed that I’d want ideally. I don’t see myself as an idealist – I am a pragmatist with a vision. As long as I’m breathing that vision will be one step closer to manifesting each day. I resonate strongly with the sentiment, “If you can’t fly, run; if you can’t run, walk; if you can’t walk, crawl. But either way, keep moving forward.”  I have been literally unable to walk for portions of my life, so this hits home.  And ‘moving forward’ means taking any tiny step toward the realization of my visions. Sometimes that step is just taking enough pills to get out of bed in the morning, knowing in my heart that when I am capable, I will continue where I left off.  But that is not the same as giving up.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by Animal.

© Copyright 2012-2020 J.E. Sandoval
SEE HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

DISCLAIMER

The content on this site is not
intended for medical advice, diagnosis,
or treatment. Always seek the advice
of your physician or other qualified
health provider with questions you
may have regarding a medical condition.
For more information visit this link.