Reply To: Lessons from my breakthrough

Home Page Forums General Psychology Lessons from my breakthrough Reply To: Lessons from my breakthrough

Rua
  • Type: NeTi
  • Development: ll-l
  • Attitude: Adaptive

@scientiam

I can try to describe these terms from what I think it is as derived from my experience and then @auburn can confirm/deny it and give a more technical definition. By “uncompressed” I mean the free and unfettered flow of energy/information/action coming from the psyche. While “compressed” means the restricted/clamped energy/information/action coming from the psyche. That means that since we all “use” our four functions, it’s not use but rather the functions that are conscious that we give free and independent reign to and are therefore “uncompressed” and “unrestricted”. Well, it could be the case too that conscious, unrestricted introverted functions restrict extroverted functions (as it did with me) so perhaps it is better to say that conscious introverted functions can restrict/compress extroverted functions and extroverted functions can also restrict/compress introverted functions. But when all four functions are in “balance” equal compression/uncompression (restriction/unrestriction) in one’s psyche then the free flow of the whole conscious psyche (which is what I feel) manifests. Idk, this is what I think for now.

Thank you for your elaborations here, they are indeed very useful and help me understand the truth of these terms ‘compressed’ and ‘uncompressed’ when used in reference to the cognitive functions 🙂

Well, you’re going to laugh at me, but I did think that after having my four functions conscious I was “set” for good, and then I went to see my family about family problems and then I realized that I am not done with emotional problems/personal growth. But yes I feel restricted (perhaps, as you say, because I’m a Ti lead and when I start feeling bad and the feelings are painful, I feel “blocked” or restricted until I figure out what’s wrong and I feel the need to “fix” it now or take the steps to fix it (I have also learned to just be comfortable with feeling the pain btw, but that is harder)). I also felt bad when I checked your profile and saw that you had flat affect (I didn’t know that you did/or that perhaps you recently got it). When I see that people have flat affect I start feeling what I did before (the emptiness and the suffering) and I get crushed that they might be feeling the same.

No laughter here my friend, well, maybe now since we’re on the same page XD; and let me explain: I think my period of stagnation started when I started to believe that perhaps because I had been through and processed so much, that things were basically “stable”, but that is simply not the case. Stability is created from the work we do every day. And dealing with other people is always difficult, because we must let go of our delusions that we can or should control others’ behavior, and must simply decide for ourselves what is our best path forward, having strength to carry on despite criticism or ridicule.

Edit: Realized that I neglected to mention the flat affect here. Please don’t feel bad on my account 🙂 As David Goggins has said, “Scars remind you that your past is real.” I will not forget my past, but I also will not let it define me. I see the signals of Flat Affect in myself as reminders of what I have been through, not as disfigurations, but as transfigurations. One thing that is very useful about working in acute crisis stabilization is that you learn how to orient yourself in an environment in which most of those around you are suffering and out of control. You learn that you can be in control, even in chaos, that your own traumas do not have to impede your decisions, or your ability to help others. And, as always, any and all traumatic events must be processed after the fact to cleanse the mind of the negative thoughts and feelings that swim about in their wake. I think most of us are stronger than we know in this regard, but we self-defeat before the battle has begun, and perseverate on all the ways the war is being lost. Voluntarily entering into our sufferings is the key; there is a world of difference between lowering yourself into a scalding hot bath because you want to soothe your muscles, and being thrown into scalding hot water against your will. As a final note, I would say that family issues are often some of the deepest and most difficult things to unravel, as we cannot choose our family, but we must navigate a path through our families, or choose the path of separation if we deem our other options untenable.

Ah yes, I agree with all of this rondo. Thank you. I would also say, however, that chastising yourself for not being more and doing more is a bad thing. Live your life, you are human and you are allowed to make mistakes/fall from your ideals/ and fuck up things sometimes, even if you’re 80 yrs old. It’s ok, I think, as long as you learn and your intentions are good.

Yes. As cheesy at it sounds (yet as good as it feels), I have been coming up with mantras for myself to write down and repeat. My most recent is: Failures are admonitions, successes are invitations: investigate your actions’ origins. Failures are not reasons to self-flagellate, they are opportunities to accept new truths.

• This reply was modified 11 months, 1 week ago by Rua.

© Copyright 2012-2020 J.E. Sandoval
SEE HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION

DISCLAIMER

The content on this site is not
intended for medical advice, diagnosis,
or treatment. Always seek the advice
of your physician or other qualified
health provider with questions you
may have regarding a medical condition.
For more information visit this link.