Member Names & Type Patterns

Home II Forums Cognitive Functions Member Names & Type Patterns

This topic contains 26 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Bera 4 weeks ago.

• Bera
    Participant
    • Type: SeFi
    • Development: l---
    • F Attitude: Seelie

@animal – you are so right about our names ! 🙂

Bera is actually a name I used before. It used to be my character’s name in at least 3 DnD campaigns. I think I mentioned Bera was a barbarian but I don’t think I mentioned what barbarians do and it’s actually very appropriate for an Se lead. This is from the Player’s Handbook – DnD 5th Edition :)) :

These barbarians, different as they might be, are defined by their rage: unbridled, unquenchable, and unthinking fury. More than a mere emotion, their anger is the ferocity of a cornered predator, the unrelenting assault of a storm, the churning turmoil of the sea.
    For some, their rage springs from a communion with fierce animal spirits. Others draw from a roiling reservoir of anger at a world full of pain. For every barbarian, rage is a power that fuels not just a battle frenzy but also uncanny reflexes, resilience, and feats of strength.

To a barbarian, though, civilization is no virtue, but a sign of weakness. The strong embrace their animal nature, keen instincts, primal physicality, and ferocious rage. Barbarians are uncomfortable when hedged in by walls and crowds. They thrive in the wilds of their homelands: the tundra, jungle, or grasslands where their tribes live and hunt.

And, as I think I mentioned before, as a barbarian you could have a totem spirit. Mine was the bear.

At 3rd level, when you adopt this path, you choose a totem spirit and gain its feature. You must make or acquire a physical totem object- an amulet or similar adornment—that incorporates fur or feathers, claws, teeth, or bones of the totem animal.

The bear totem makes you resistant to all types of damage except psychic damage. 🙂 So when you get hit, you get half of the normal damage. But this is not as awesome as it sounds for a character who mostly attacks targets that are next to him and who cannot rage in heavy armor (and has many benefits from being in rage so he will not wear armor and will get hit very often. :))

I just thought it would be cute to mention this, since you were talking about our names and Bera was first the name of my DnD character and only after that became my name here.

The most interesting thing is that when I chose this name, I had no idea I was an Se user. But when Auburn confirmed it, I immediately thought that Bera seemed to fit the Se profile. Then I analyzed for a while if I did too. In a way, the realization that Auburn might be right and I might be an Se lead started with Bera (my DnD character), as it was obvious she was an Se lead.

Regarding alpha names not suggesting something embodied – I have great difficulty imagining what @umbilical-sphere wants to transmit with his name. I can see something round and alien and somewhat connected to babies but it’s very unclear. Oh, I googled it and I think it might be connected to this :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbilical_point

Fae
    Participant
    • Type: NeFi
    • Development: ll--

Hey, guys! Is Beta O’Rouke FeSi too or at least Alpha? He gives me major Obama vibes.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Fae.
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Auburn.
    Fae
    Participant

I want to point out one other thing just on this thread, which is a small sample set.  My name is “Animal” and Bera’s is “Bera.” We both made a catchy, easy-to-remember name, with a clear theme, obvious associations and an embodied point to make.

You are sensor first, followed by feeling – yet your user name is a collection of letters that can’t even be pronounced, and I have to look back each time I type in order to remember it.    Puffs and Rondo are both spelled out names, but the meanings are more elusive and don’t evoke a ‘body.’ Puffs comes closest, in that I can actually picture something physical – like puffs of smoke. But that’s smoke. Something that your hand goes right through, and that doesn’t stay and leave a visceral impression.   The most embodied name among Alphas here is Auburn, which is a color; but not an animal or a visceral being or concept. Other Gamma names on the forum are very “is what it is” and viscerally evocative also. Thanatesque, Arya, etc.

An interesting thought, @animal!

What about Fae/Faerie? Though I have to say it wasn’t a spontaneously chosen name. It was suggested I pick an easier name with an easier nickname and everyone was saying I was giving them twins vibes with ‘Tea time’, so I thought of a similarly abstract name but one that was also about something I was personally fond of and came up with Faerie Tale. Then on the second day I realized that just the first one would do/was complete, and dropped ‘Tale’. Then Jelle nicknamed me Fae and that stuck so much, it became almost like a second real name I have. If someone shouts “Fae” somewhere IRL, I swear I’ll turn around without remembering (at least for a few seconds) that they used my CT name.

Also, Puffs name didn’t make think of smoke. It made me think of a short, plump, Black man. The exact opposite of what he actually is, lol. And I always thought Kaze was a freckled ginger of medium height, like a real life version of Archie Andrews. I don’t remember where my ginger association with Kaze came from but with Puff it was his name. He used to have the word ‘Cheese’ in front of it, I think it was ‘Cheeseumpuffs’ or something like that. And that kinda mixed up in my head as “A shorter, plumper Diddy/PuffDaddy,” somehow.

Fae
    Participant

@animal,

The parts of the world that I love are the eternal, infinite ones: nature, the human heart, animals, colors, motion. 

Me too! Only I wouldn’t include colour on my list. The human condition, the human experience, nature, and ultimate reality.

I’m only interested in history or politics insofar as it reveals trends to me that are universal. I  very very much agree with what Auburn said, that the interactions occurring here may be occurring ad nauseum in other places throughout time – and this is how I tend to view ‘the patterns behind’ my interactions in general.

I guess this is the whole fractals thing. Strangely, it never resonates with me. I have a hard time thinking of that as the “real real”, you know? We had a long debate about it on the chat sometime ago, I believe. I don’t see nature/the world/reality in ‘shapey’ or Math terms but more like fluid/’flamey’ terms. Definite patterns and fixed shapes feel very unnatural to me.

• Type: NeTi
    • F Attitude: Adaptive

puffs’ name is indeed a shortening of Cheeseumpuffs, which was my first ever email I made when i was in sixth grade and since no one ever uses the username, it’s a guaranteed first try name when I’m making new accounts on pretty much every site ever.

it’s not meant to mean  or evoke anything, and i’m perturbed by how much ego people seem to have placed around the identity since it is — while not meant to imply it by the name — essentially smoke, as animal said.

At the moment my current username I’m using more often (usually for online chess these days) is slabadoof.

Animal
    Participant
    • Development: lll-
    • F Attitude: Unseelie

it’s not meant to mean  or evoke anything, and i’m perturbed by how much ego people seem to have placed around the identity since it is — while not meant to imply it by the name — essentially smoke, as animal said.

Your name evokes something whether you like it or not. Sounds like it ended up ‘accidentally’ evoking what you actually feel 😀 in the sense of, identity being smoke.  I find that this type of ‘accidental revealing the real truth of what you feel’ happens more often than people realize, when it comes to what they wear, how they name themselves, etc.

@bera touched on this too – how her character in her DnD was a very clear SeFi, whereas she didn’t realize she was SeFi.  The same thing happened to me , where my character in my novels ended up being a SeFi 4w3 and it was easier to type him even before I knew my types in any system.  He ended up just like me by accident, and revealed my true type to me.. that bastard 😀

Also, the way you describe identity as ‘smoke’ and you’re perturbed by the ego in it – I call this “ego in no ego.” It isn’t any less ego-driven than anyone else; rather, it’s an investment in seeing yourself as uninvested in ego.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  Animal.

oh no, i’m all ego these days — that’s not what i’m trying to say — following the smoke is showing signs of fire to come, for sure.

i just don’t see puffs as an identity that fully represents me anymore, to the extent that it — and the many other names, nicknames, games and “identity evasions” i create — is a sort of smoky haze that circles around and between myself and others and when i see people latch on to the names it gives the distinct impression that that’s where they’ve decided to stop in terms of their understanding of who you are.

I gots an ego forsure. I just call it “me” though

the ego being built around puffs at this point is mostly built by y’all folks, i think. not me.

Amy
    Participant
    • Development: l-l-

@bera

To me, @umbilical-sphere has meant something connected to the source, smooth, perfectly shaped, connected to life, to something beyond… it seems to fit him nicely, no? His personal path and spiritual goals seem to be embodied in this simple visual image… And possibly hints at his Ne not needing a concrete thing to relay that meaning
    I love his name <3

Auburn
    Keymaster
    • Type: TiNe
    • Development: ll-l

(i decide to do a thread split on this)

I’ve made a few notes over time regarding Ne-leads and names.

Name Switching

Many, if not all, the Ne’s I’ve enjoyed interacting with online have had a habit of playing with their name as part of Ne’s “wordplay” attribute. We saw this for a period of time on Discord when all the Ne’s were name-switching for fun, like Tea and Fae, or in the way Puffs, Linus, Phibious and Heresy play with their name in response to the latest server meme.

Random Name Generation

The other pattern I’ve seen is that my Ne acquaintances/friends often choose usernames literally on a whim. Anything from a word they heard that morning, or some fourth-wall-break like a user named “myusernameistaken.” It’s funny to them at the moment, and witty. Ne’s generally have witty names, I find, but they’re never too exceedingly attached to the name itself at first. It’s also not meant to be representative of them – it’s an idea. And Ne’s noncommittal nature to any one rendition (of a name) is only mitigated by Si’s nostalgic attachment. What you get is a randomly made name that becomes a grandfathered alias.

These are just trends I’ve seen, but by no means hard rules. :3

Animal
    Participant
    • Development: lll-
    • F Attitude: Unseelie

@auburn

Yes, in the case of Ne, it seems like what says something about them is the process in which they choose names, rather than one specific name itself.  I would argue that their choices still reveal something about them, even if their process did not involve thinking “what does this say about me?”  Because they literally could pick any word in the universe, so the ones they choose reveal something, at least about how their minds work, even if not something that defines their central identity.  Also, the pattern of words over time reveals something about their ‘style’ or personal touch.

But in Delta Fi-heavies, the name choices tend to evolve around a few concepts that say something about them in a very direct obvious way.  Alphas (on the whole) seem more willing to throw out the idea of identity for the whim and the wordplay; whereas Deltas (on the whole) seem to incorporate the wordplay into some sort of personal Fi ideal or message.

What you get is a randomly made name that becomes a grandfathered alias.

perty much

most sites these days let you change usernames anyway, so the initial choosing is essentially just there to give you your free spot and then after that you can dress up however you like

case in point

Bera
    Participant

@asmodeus, king of demons – love your new name ! Now it all makes sense, I see where the smoke was coming from…your name changes have a narrative quality to them ! 🙂

i actually had a dnd character for a bit that was a half-orc barbarian i named Asmod after asmodeus.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.