Do you like the online indicator?

Home II Forums Official & Introductions Do you like the online indicator?

Do you like the online indicator?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • #1 Yes - it's great. Keep it!
  • #2 No. Remove it! D:

This topic contains 17 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Bera 1 week, 5 days ago.

• Auburn
    Keymaster
    • Type: TiNe
    • Development: ll-l
    • F Attitude: Adaptive

Hello,

Trying out a poll here. Do you guys like the sidebar that shows who’s been online recently?

Or do you find it too invasive?

This forum software currently has no option to be an “invisible” user, so I can either keep the indicator or remove it – at least in the sidebar. You’ll still be able to see when someone was online in their profile.

Thoughts?

Alerith
    Participant

The schizoid cat in me feels shown up when I’m being a lazy lurker and not posting ;p But that also causes motivation for me to integrate and quit being anti-social.. so overall I like it! (you’ll get moar posts outa me with it there, fwiw)

Auburn
    Keymaster

ikr?

it also is nice to see who is online, and i think it shows how active this place is. which btw, wow i’m surprised how active this forum’s getting.

(but i’m conflicted. i like to see who’s online, but i don’t always like them seeing that i’m online )

Alerith
    Participant

Indeed! There are some great discussions going on, and lots of participation. Hopefully this is just the beginning of a thriving community..

(but i’m conflicted. i like to see who’s online, but i don’t always like them seeing that i’m online )

(^exactly my sentiment.. like a ghost, the Ti-lead is an invisible voyeur of others and all of reality ;D)

Rondo
    Participant
    • Type: NeTi
    • F Attitude: Directive

I also feel conflicted here (haven’t voted yet), being an inveterate lurker it is strange to constantly see my profile picture in the sidebar, but I think I prefer it to the alternative, which might feel too lifeless, especially if there comes a slump in activity and no one is clearly visible; seems like it would exacerbate the issue in that case. As Alerith said it’s also a nice motivator to post 🙂

Animal
    Participant
    • Type: SeFi
    • Development: lll-
    • F Attitude: Unseelie

Hehe yes. I have nothing to hide.  May my soul bare itself before the typology Kings and Queens, to be scrutinized and prodded for Science.

• Development: l---

pls remove

Umbilical Sphere
    Participant

Idk why I dont like it. I dont like my activity being traced. If some people do want it, and other people dont, should there be a tyranny of the majority? Of course I would say no XD Theres probably some feature that gives everyone what they want that could be constructed, no? Code is very flexible!

Rondo
    Participant

@UmbilicalSphere

Idk why I dont like it. I dont like my activity being traced. If some people do want it, and other people dont, should there be a tyranny of the majority? Of course I would say no XD Theres probably some feature that gives everyone what they want that could be constructed, no? Code is very flexible!

I feel that a compromise position could be the ability to hide the sidebar; you might not be able to stop people from tracking whether you’re on the forums or not but you don’t have to constantly be reminded of it either. But I do not know what would be supported by this specific software.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  Rondo.
    Elsie
    Participant
    • Type: NeFi
    • Development: l-l-

yeah i aint logging in again

it also says i’m not popular

Shelley Lorraine
    Participant
    • F Attitude: Seelie

Oh man, I didn’t even notice that before! I mean, I know I’m not one of the cool kids around here, but now my competitive side feels challenged – no one wants to see the results of that. Not even I. 😅

Rondo
    Participant

@ Elsie

I hadn’t thought about this before, but yeah you could just browse primarily as a guest and only log if you wanted to post, that combined with the ability to hide the sidebar itself seems like it covers most of the privacy/ invasion concerns so far.

I have so far avoided all social media in my life, but for some reason I think I mostly like this little sidebar, to me it actually feels not too intrusive or overwhelming since there are only four displayed at a time and I could always browse as a guest if I needed solitary time.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  Rondo.
    Auburn
    Keymaster

Yea, I am concerned about members deciding just to not come online, and/or not participate because they feel too exposed. So while this can encourage participation, it can also discourage it.

If some people do want it, and other people dont, should there be a tyranny of the majority?

It seems right now the tally is ~44% / 55%, so if 40% of the members are uncomfortable with a feature, I think we can modify it. It doesn’t have to cross the 50% threshold, there just has to be enough discomfort, I think, yes.

edit: no, wait this doesn’t really address the fundamental desire… which is privacy. so I’ll remove it, especially since the tally is up to 50% now. I may re-add the online users marker if I find a way to have an “invisible” option. 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  Auburn.
    Tea
    Participant
    • Development: l--l
    • F Attitude: Seelie

I can live with it, but I think it’s weird. I never understood them.

Animal
    Participant
    • Type: SeFi

@auburn

That solution makes sense to me. 🙂

In terms of voting, I agree with going with the majority and avoiding making people uncomfortable. I’m not personally offended if the indicator is or isn’t there.  I was just stating that it doesn’t have much effect on me either way. I used to try to hide on forums because I was stalking my crush, but now I’m married to him, so I have nothing else left to hide. Others may not be so lucky and may require some undercover stalking coverage. 😀

• This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  Animal.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 5 days ago by  Animal.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.